Shops in Gibraltor?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
daisylulu

Shops in Gibraltor?

Postby daisylulu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:41 am

I am having a shopping day out in Gibraltor in a couple of weeks :D

Never been before so I am wondering what shops are there to entice me to spend hubbys money :lol: :lol:

Louise :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:40 am

Next, Topshop, M&S, BHS, Tommy Hilfiger, Monsoon. Not as good as the UK equivalent though.

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:41 am

Thankyou Katy :D

What are the prices like?......are they the same as the equivalent stores in the uk?

kirmas
Tourist

Postby kirmas » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:56 am

Hi Katy,

Yes the prices are more or less the same, especially in the english shops as they just have the same price tags on as they would in the Uk with the price in pounds and Euros.

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:57 am

The exchange rate they give in the shops is not good. Better to take sterling if you can. Perfume shops, cigs & booze, jewellery. Although you might find a lot of the jewellery shops shut on a saturday as they are mainly owned by jewish people. I haven't ever found Gib particularly cheap. Petrol is cheap there though. :wink:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:05 pm

daisylulu-I have found with next and m&s bhs,etc in Gib,they are now starting to put their own price stickers on the garment,and removing the original price tags.Make sure you change your euros to pounds before you go.i briefly worked in a bar in Gib when i first arrived-and if the customers wanted to pay in euros instead of pounds-the bill used to be doubled.
eg:bill was 4.00 GBP-would be charged €8.00..So be careful.
I would say you will have a better shopping experience in Morrisons than in Gib town itself. :D

There is also accessorize,evans,bhs home,La sensa(cant think of anymore)

Costapacket-i always thought petrol was cheap in Gib but spanish lad told me it isnt..he said its similar in price to what it is in Spain.

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:18 pm

Thankyou all :D

Good advice about the pound, I hadn't considered that, but i have pounds so will use those :D

Definatley want to go to Monsoon and Next. Really i would like to do the shops and Morrisons.....is it walking distance from the shops to Morrisons? :D

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:28 pm

I think you will find that visitors to Gib use the Morrisons car park, for free usually plenty of spaces, and walk into the main shopping area. About 5 mins walk.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I would be careful about using morrisons car park-i have known plenty of people use the carpark for shopping in town and came back and their car was clamped.
I would either use the small car park on the spanish side(opposite the main doors to the iberostar hotel(-€1.50 all day)park up,walk across the border and get the bus into Gib.
Or use the parking in Gib in the multi storey car park-(quite expensive.)
I would only use morrisons car park if you are shopping in Morrisons :wink:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:07 pm

There is a car park near Marina Bay, between the sports centre & Credit Suisse which is much cheaper than the multi storey & only a short walk to Main Street. If I drive in to work it normally costs me about £2.20 from 9am to 4pm.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:34 pm

princess peach wrote: I would only use morrisons car park if you are shopping in Morrisons :wink:
Daisylulu said she wanted to shop in Morrisons and shop in Next. So what is the problem of parking in Morrisons car park and walking to Next?
I think there is a 4 hour limit on parking. Should be ample time for shopping in both shops?

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:43 pm

Thankyou for parking advice but I'm going on a coach so won't have that worry :D 5 minute walk is great though!!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:30 pm

gerry h wrote:
I think there is a 4 hour limit on parking. Should be ample time for shopping in both shops?
I think you may find that its 3 hours parking in Morrisons.
Gerry h you obviously dont know us women too well,if you think that 4 hours will be enough shopping time in morrisons and clothing shops. :wink: :lol:
nevermind anyway,daisylulu is going by coach..so that will be bang in the middle of morrisons and the shops.plus the added bonus of no parking fees.
prob solved :wink:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:10 pm

If you shop in Morrisons and get clamped they will unclamp you free on production of a till receipt.

It happened to me and they were there before I managed to call them on their number - they could not have been more helpful and apologetic.

Apparently they were getting people parking there in Campervans etc and had to do something about it.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:14 am

princess peach wrote:Costapacket-i always thought petrol was cheap in Gib but spanish lad told me it isnt..he said its similar in price to what it is in Spain.

like i said before to you peachy, if you look at the £ price you think "wow, 55p a litre whoooohooooo"... if you look at the € price its like €1.02 rather than €1.08 in spain, a saving of 6c a litre, not particuarly cheap - a saving of a euro or so over a whole tank...

as for parking, theres a massive underground car park accessed by the resurant behind mcdonalds opposite the border on the spanish side. its like 3 or 4 euro for the day and has security.. the amount of porsches, ferraris etc in there long term is quite surprising :)

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:15 pm

[quote="spanish_lad... if you look at the € price its like €1.02 rather than €1.08 in spain, a saving of 6c a litre, not particuarly cheap - a saving of a euro or so over a whole tank...[/quote]

Depends on the size of your tank spanish lad! In my 4x4 that would be a saving of around 5 or 6 euros!!! Not much maybe, but certainly more than a euro for the tankful! Nearly a fee menu del dia!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:36 pm

karandjon wrote:Depends on the size of your tank spanish lad! In my 4x4 that would be a saving of around 5 or 6 euros!!! Not much maybe, but certainly more than a euro for the tankful! Nearly a fee menu del dia!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
indeed, mine takes under €50 to fill, mums cherokee 4x4 4.0L takes nearer €100 ;) i was saying as if you are going to put in €20 worth like normal, it wouldn't be worth it.