Metal thieves

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Metal thieves

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:55 am

Apparently metal thieves have removed huge entrance gates from a property across the valley and also rejas from a disused bar restaurant.

I am often absent and wondered if anyone had any suggestions/ideas on how I might secure/ protect my gates and railings which are a feature of my property. TIA
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Metal thieves

Postby gerryh » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:54 am

Connect them to your electricity supply.
Sorry, don't have a sensible suggestion because whatever you do, if the thiefs are determined they will take your gates.
Bolt croppers, crowbars and angle grinders will soon get through anything you use to try and protect your gates.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 pm

Motion detector camera connected to the internet that sends you an alert?

That would enable you to get someone around perhaps.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:58 am

I know this is nothing to do with Andalucia but as a general reply, I was visiting Menton in the south of France last year to apay my respects to William Webb Ellis who is buried there.
The graveyards in this area are often very elaborate with fancy graves often sporting large amounts of bronze, at the time of my visit there were security guards in evidence there to deter thieves from a certain eastern European country who apparently think nothing of taking a cold chisel and lump hammer to remove any kind of metal !

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:29 am

to apay my respects to William Webb Ellis who is buried there.
Perhaps we should start a campaign to have him re-interred at Twickenham if his resting place is at risk?

(Sorry El Cid if this is off topic!)
nil illegitimum carborundum

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 pm

A couple of years ago the covers to the water meters were stolen from a couple of properties along our track. One had been replaced with a wooden cover the other left open, which is not ideal, as it is right on a bend as we enter the track! The hole is now filled with lots of branches! Semana Santa, when the processions were on in town and the houses were empty, 5 properties were visited by thieves and they had any meltal that was laying about stolen. We make sure anything that is metel is not on show!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks for the replies.......was wondering about vandal proof paint (not sure of correct name) it never dries and gets on the thieves skin and clothing and is v.hard to remove, has anyone ever used it?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Don't forget it will also get on you, your family, visitors, tradespeople etc.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:53 pm

oliveview01 wrote:A couple of years ago the covers to the water meters were stolen from a couple of properties along our track.
I read about some metal thieves in the UK who use a van with a big hole cut in the floor. They stop for a few seconds over a manhole cover and lift it straight into the van.

Sid

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks Gerry I should have said that the entire front boundary is wrought iron railings built on a short wall but due to the nature of the site the top of the railings is 8ft at least from road level and 6ft on the garden side so was thinking of painting top rail which is flat and other out of reach areas. The big double driveway gates must be 10 ft from ground level so could do some of that and pedestrian gate is 6ft so just the top rail......had thought of making a sign with the red lightning flash sign and hope they go further along the lane and take theirs. In the meantime I will ask insurers if they are covered for theft.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:55 pm

El Cid wrote:
I read about some metal thieves in the UK who use a van with a big hole cut in the floor. They stop for a few seconds over a manhole cover and lift it straight into the van.Sid
[/quote]

Hopefully metal thieves have been stopped now in the UK by introduction of strict laws to scrap metal yards. Apparently full details of customers have to be logged and they can only be paid by cheque or bank transfer........no cash transactions allowed.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:26 pm

We've used anti burglar paint in UK along the top edge of a wall round an enclosed yard - difficult to say how effective it is, but haven't noticed anyone climbing over :wink: but as geryyh says, it is, by its nature, inclined to attach itself to any passing person or thing (I'm thinking cats here..)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:35 pm

I agree with Gerry connect to electricity until their hands are singed,can't stand thieves,too many of them about in the campo.We also make sure anything of metal is out of sight.

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:06 pm

I have seen reja alarms but you need someone within reach to respond to them