Hot weather

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Hot weather

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:34 pm

This hot dry weather seems to have been going on forever. I know some members keep records of the weather. When was the last time we had such a long period of high temperatures and no measureable rain?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Hot weather

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:39 pm

Every summer is like this. Though this July was the coldest for 166 years. August is quiet warm this year. Yesterday was 39.0 in Los Ventorros [measured correctly; free air flow, no reflected heat].

We can often go May to September with no rain. This summer we had two showers though both only a trace.

Enjoy it, that's why we moved to Spain. I cannot get enough of this heat.

The good news is it is going to keep warm for at least another two weeks.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:47 pm

Last year and the year before that for a start.

It is normal to have constant high temperatures and no rain in July and August. Very occasionally you might get a local thunderstorm in late August.

Here, this August has actually been the coolest (or should I say least hot) since 2007. However, we are talking about a very small difference in the mean temperatures - just a few tenths of a degree.

The temperatures during July and August are very consistent, but it is the wind and humidity changes that can make it feel more or less uncomfortable.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks Sid and Al. This year just seems different to what I remember. In previous years we have been able to jump in the pool to cool down and then been comfortable resting in the shade reading a book. This year it has only been a few minutes after being in the pool before feeling uncomfortable again. OH feeling the same way.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

indyaachen
Tourist

Postby indyaachen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Hope it stays for a little longer while we arrive in the first week of September. :thumbup:
It has been really gloomy cold for a few days now in Germany. :sick:

infoseeker
Resident

Postby infoseeker » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:45 pm

A few years ago we had torrential rain in August.
This year nothing, and the humidity has been very high, making it very uncomfortable doing everyday chores, although of course lovely for holidaymakers lolling around!
? Gota fria round the corner?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:10 pm

The Gota Fria is a specific weather phenomenon that happens on the east coast of Spain, usually in October, not down here in the south.

Thunderstorms from the end of August to the end of September are quite common. The horrendous floods that hit Almunecar and Nerja were in September.

Last year at the end of August we had a very localised thunderstorm. 5 inches of rain in 20 minutes - I have never seen anything like it and I sincerely hope I never do again.

The beginning of October is when the rain should start, but some years, even October is fairly dry.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:23 pm

I'm sure you will know about this site, Sid, but I have only just come across it and thought it may be of interest to others:

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Malag ... ia/ES.aspx
Let's go Brandon!

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:24 pm

Blimey,it is hot 39c in the shade here,I think that's because its the summer!We have had the coolest summer here for the past seven years to my knowledge,super.It is stinking hot now but you have to pace yourself.It will be winter soon enough and then we will all be freezing, I know which I prefer.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:33 am

The weather up here has also been cooler in June, with some rain, and July and August were also cooler. However, the last day or two has been hotter and September is 'predicted' by locals to continue hot. As the days are getting shorter with the sun going behind the mountains around 20.30 the nights are cooler for longer. It 's nice. All too soon it will be winter ...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:43 am

That's a great link Beachcomber. I haven't seen it before. I usually use Weather Underground but this one is much tidier.

Thanks for that.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:23 am

September was my favourite month in Spain, weather bearable. Northern Spaniards returned, kids back at school. Empty beaches and shops. Ahhhhhh :D

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:01 pm

It makes a change for you lot over your side to get some really hot weather. Its like that, or hotter, on this side usually, but some reason this year has been considerably cooler than most years due to a nice cool Poniente wind coming in from the west.
Night temperatures dropping down to 17-18C and days only upto 35C - its been a great year both for man and garden