Is the Vueling baggage allowance ever controlled?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Is the Vueling baggage allowance ever controlled?

Postby alpineSi » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:30 am

What have your experiences been with hand-luggage on Vueling?

Reading about the man tasered at Gatwick for trying to get a man-purse on to an Easyjet flight in addition to his one piece of hand-luggage, I couldn't help thinking about the four Vueling flights I've taken in the last two months. Raised on a fear of RyanAir and Easyjet fees, we studied the Vueling hand luggage rules intently and even bought new bags to make sure they would definitely fit in the dreaded cage, but on all those flights people were boarding with huge back packs, army kitbags and small suitcases onboard with them. Often with a second giant handbag or laptop case over the shoulder too. Clearly there wasn't space on board for them all, and people with what seemed to be correctly sized bags but who were towards the end of the queue were forced to put them in the hold. Just one flight might be a fluke, but four suggests they just don't care - anyone ever seen them using their cages or turning bags down at the gate?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Is the Vueling baggage allowance ever controlled?

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:19 am

We have never seen anyone stopped by Vueling staff and have also noticed that people carry on not only a huge case but an additional bag too. That has been on internal Spanish flights, so I'm not sure if it depends on the staff at each airport as to whether the hand luggage rules are enforced.

I think there must be more to the story of the man arrested and taken off an easyjet flight. He was already seated on the plane and usually the luggage is questioned or refused at the gate, not when you are all seated on the plane. The article I read said he may have had mental health problems, so it may not just have been about luggage allowances.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:49 am

Our flights were mix of internal and international, and each time the vast majority of luggage being carried or dragged past us (sitting in row 5) was so clearly oversized you wouldn't even need to look at the cages to know it! The staff on board just seemed to make do though finding spaces all over the plane for it, though a large amount must have ended up under people's feet.
Wicksey wrote:I think there must be more to the story of the man arrested and taken off an easyjet flight. He was already seated on the plane and usually the luggage is questioned or refused at the gate, not when you are all seated on the plane. The article I read said he may have had mental health problems, so it may not just have been about luggage allowances.
Yes I thought that seemed a bit odd, he was already on the plane so surely it's too late for cabin staff to then question the baggage - bit like being seated at a table by one waiter then told the kitchen is closed by another. It does seem curious why they would mention the 'man-purse' at all if it wasn't in some way relevant though...

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:37 pm

What irritates me about Vueling is their expectation that I, with minimally sized luggage is expected to store it under the seat to make space in the overhead lockers for the aholes with luggage beyond the allowable limits.

The cabin crew only target those that they know won't fight back. For instance, agressive middle aged Spanish females will happily tell them to f off and get away with it. A foreign male has to comply with their every word!!

I'm doing less flying these days as it really has become unenjoyable getting from A to B, via plane.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Most of the airlines have purges on luggage limits. Ryanair are more friendly these days but clamp down on certain routes ( usually in the summer) and fine for excess luggage.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:23 pm

You shouldn't be holding a handbag before take off. They are meant to be stored overhead, aren't they?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:39 pm

I usually keep my very small handbag 'on' .... ie its strap is over across my body, and I haven't been told to take it off.

Occasionally if I did have a larger bag with me on my lap then I've been told to put it under the seat in front of me. It's only if you sit at the very front or in seats the exit over the wings that you must put everything up in the overhead locker until you have taken off in order to keep the floor completely clear.