Expat OR Exile ?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Expat OR Exile ?

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 07, 2016 7:33 am

It worries me a little that if the UK vote OUT, what will I become....Will I be an Expat or an Exile ?

I'm surprised at how few expats that I've spoken with are not bothering to vote, it really is a very simple process online, I've just helped someone to vote.

You have, if you are entitled to vote, until the 7th June to register,so may I suggest and encourage everyone to use their vote, even if it's an out vote.

It will be no good moaning about the result if you don't exercise your rights...

Regards,
Gordon

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Expat OR Exile ?

Postby costakid » Sat May 07, 2016 7:53 am

Well said Gordon.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Sat May 07, 2016 8:01 am

Agree Gordon...

Perhaps post a simple step-by step guide. Not open for debate on In or Out and locked......
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 07, 2016 8:21 am

Thank you Costakid and Detourer.

The website is http://www.Gov.Uk/register-to-vote , it explains in very easy steps how to register to vote and your vote application form can be posted or e-mailed to the last place that you registered on the electoral roll.
And ,as Detourer mentions, I'm not trying to encourage debate about what to vote ,I'm just trying to help people to exercise their rights.
I think that it is very important that expats should show that we still play an important role in UK political decisions etc..
Last edited by BENIDORM on Sat May 07, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat May 07, 2016 9:06 am

BENIDORM wrote:.. your vote can be posted or e-mailed to the last place that you registered on the electoral roll.
Either you or I have misread something but I don't think you can vote by email. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 07, 2016 9:29 am

Gerry,Yes you can, as I stated I helped someone this week.
They will e-mail the form to you, print it then scan the completed form, making sure that all parts are visible and the signature is clear and return it to the e-mail address given to you with the form, as I mentioned you will be voting in your last registered electoral roll area.
Hope this helps :wink:

Regards,
Gordon

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat May 07, 2016 9:39 am

Sorry Gordon aren't you talking about the form to register to vote and not to actually cast your vote?
Voting hasn't started yet has it?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat May 07, 2016 10:47 am

postal or proxy votes are available in advance.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat May 07, 2016 11:15 am

Yes I know that but Benidorm seems to be saying that you can also email your vote.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 07, 2016 11:31 am

The details of just what you have to do are here http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/upcoming-e ... referendum

I could not see anything about emailing a vote.

Sid

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat May 07, 2016 12:59 pm

You cannot e-mail your vote, but you can
- register to vote (i.e. get yourself on the UK electoral register, provided it's within 15 years of permanently leaving the UK)
- request a proxy-vote form, to nominate someone in the UK to vote on your behalf)
- request a postal vote form

Do vote. At one point, it was suggested that expats should be excluded from the Referendum, on the basis that they could be "biassed".
You bet.
Chris

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Gerry,
Sorry about the delay in responding...busy social life... :lol:

And apologies for the confusion, I was replying to you , answering the phone and writing a speech ..all at the same time ...and I'm dyslexic ...and not good at multi tasking. :crazy:
I was of course referring to registering and of course it has been pointed out you can have a postal vote or proxy vote...

My main point was to try and remind people about their right to vote...I can't unfortunately... :(

Have a Good Weekend Everyone...

Regards,
Gordon confused.com

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri May 27, 2016 3:00 pm

Having been out of the k for more than 18 years i no longer feel i have the right to vote, whatever my views. does anyone else feel that way ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Fri May 27, 2016 3:35 pm

I'm officially still in the UK but yes on two counts. One I won't be impacted as I live abroad and also as I'm almost 64. Now I think there is a song somewhere ............................. :roll:
El raton de watford

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri May 27, 2016 3:57 pm

My postal voting pack arrived in the mail this morning.
Brian.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 28, 2016 7:06 am

Good Morning Campers....
And I fear that if UK does Exit the EU, then that will be my status...a Camper...no longer permanent...living in Limbo. :(

OK, Got that out of the way, so to answer spanish lad...

I can understand his feelings if he has no ties whatever to the UK, however there is a large amount of Expats who do have strong ties with UK, from my own point of view I receive my pension from UK and have many family members there, I also served in the 'Armed Forces' and paid large amounts of tax etc to the UK, so I think that it is most important that Expats should have the right to vote in all UK elections.
Also it must be remembered that no one knows 'what is around the corner' and it is not always a good idea to 'burn all of your bridges', what I mean is that it makes good sense to 'keep a foot in the door'.... :thumbup:

I've done my best to help and encourage everyone to exercise their rights to vote,whichever way ..!
Please consider all of the real true facts and vote accordingly, the campaigns raging at the moment from both 'camps' have become really silly.... :crazy:

Regards,
Gordon

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat May 28, 2016 4:43 pm

Beni

Good news. You win both ways.

In vote nothing changes, at least not to start with. It will of course be a lot different and probably for the worse for grandchildren but that isn't your concern , you will be dead then.

Out vote nothing will change, at least to start with. It will take all sides so long to agree anything that we will all be dead by then. It might be better for your grandchildren BUT they have just inherited your red manor house and can't do anything with it as Spain won't allow them in.

PS Have you tried Fusion opposite Lidl yet?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Olive,
Well that is good news.!
And to be honest I will do my best to make the most of living life to the full, even though I might have to sit outside Lidl with my bowl for longer hours.

And it looks like I will have to sell the Manor House, and let some of our faithful retainers go....Woe is me... :(

But I still think that it's important to vote if only to secure a better future for our off-spring..... :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon.
PS. Not had a meal at Fusion yet, just a drink and tapas...but very busy and everyone seemed happy....

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 30, 2016 10:18 am

spanish_lad wrote:Having been out of the k for more than 18 years i no longer feel i have the right to vote, whatever my views. does anyone else feel that way ?

I have been out of the UK over 15 years so cannot vote, but I do still have ties to the UK and an early civil service pension so I still feel connected. I do not become a true pensioner for quite some years yet so an 'out' vote may still affect me as an expat abroad (as to annual cost of living pension rises etc). I have no offspring so it's purely from a personal point of view as to how it would affect me over the next 20 or 30 years.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:09 pm

We (as a family) have no ties in the uk. (obviously there is still family) .. i cant see how in or out affects us (any of us) here in spain.

If the uk leaves the eu? ;

tax wise - if you still have property and you sell it, you´ll be non-eu and it will be different.

travel - if you travel to the uk, you´ll have to go in the non-eu queues and declare stuff?

living here in spain... if you have done everything properly, and have a spanish driving licence, a spanish car etc etc.. you´ll be ok.

i guess it really affects those people who have still got a uk licence or they are driving about in an illegal car? but those people will still do it, wether the uk is in or out so really.. what does it matter?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.