Spanish Nationality?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Nationality?

Postby Lavanda » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:20 am

I agree, Miro, but, for me, it depends on how Brexit leaves me, as a British person, living in Spain. Maybe nothing will change but I do think it's useful to find out about all my options. Some of the information on this thread has already been VERY interesting and given me much to think about — especially the bit about partners are expected to BOTH apply for nationality. We couldn't do that as my OH would never pass the test as he speaks, reads and writes very little Spanish. I didn't know about that 'rule' so the thread is helpful to me. Thanks, everyone.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:00 pm

On that subject Grodon, as I also receive a small Spanish pension as I worked here for a number of years and paid into the system! Do you think I would lose that pension once Britain is out of the EU, because what they do to make it up to the basic 15 years is borrow some years from the UK. I am just wondering whether that will be null and void when Brexit actually happens!
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Patricia,
Well I suppose that it's anyone's guess at the moment, however I personally would think that it will stay the same system, Fingers Crossed ! :D

Whatever the pension amount I still think that having a Spanish Pension would give an enhanced status for British residents, we have after all worked and paid into the system.

Regards,
Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Why would that give you "enhanced status" whatever you mean by that?

Most of the Spaniards in the UK are paying into the UK system. Do they get some form of enhanced status? I doubt it, most of them are worried about being thrown out.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Sid,
By 'Enhanced status' I mean that anyone who has worked and/or lived officially ( including long term pensioners) within the system would be given higher priority to remain in the country than those who have been living under the radar and are not legally living in the country, and that goes for other countries as well, including foreigners living in the UK.

As for UK , do you really believe that all foreigners will be 'thrown out' ?

The whole UK infrastructure would collapse, it's not in a good state now ...
I can't see the 'Real Brit' wasters who have careers in benefit collecting, suddenly starting to do all of the real hard work jobs, like agricultural jobs, cleaning toilets and wiping bottoms in care homes etc. etc......Sad but True...

And may I wish you a very pleasant evening,

Regards,
Gordon.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:35 pm

BENIDORM wrote:Patricia,
Well I suppose that it's anyone's guess at the moment, however I personally would think that it will stay the same system, Fingers Crossed ! :D

Whatever the pension amount I still think that having a Spanish Pension would give an enhanced status for British residents, we have after all worked and paid into the system.

Regards,
Gordon
I think that it will more or less stay the same. As I have said in my earlier posts before the UK became part of the EU, there were Brits, working, retiring, setting up business´s etc etc, and I am talking about legal business. I do not see how that is going to change at all. Still fingers crossed :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Gordon, you were implying that there was going to be some special treatment for people with a Spanish pension and now you are including UK pensioners and anyone who has been here legally.

I would not disagree with that and all those "under the radar" people should be thrown out in my opinion.

No, of course they won't throw out all the Spaniards but they do seem to be worried about it. The difference between Spain and the UK is that Spain encourages people to register and after 5 years automatically give them permanent residency, but the UK can't be bothered applying the same rules and, as a result, has no idea whatsoever who is in the country and how long they have been there.

What really sickens me is all this Brexit claptrap about " giving us back control of our borders" when, in theory, they had control for ages but cannot seem to police them in any way at all.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Patricia,
Well I hope that we are right and that life will continue as before.... :thumbup:

Sid,
I'm glad to hear that we are of 'like minds'.

During my time in Spain I've noted that there is a very well established 'pecking order', so I'm hoping that in the event of meltdown when the enhanced status is needed, that I will be front of the queue with Patricia and you will be just behind me.. :lol:

Regards,
Gordon.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:14 pm

I think you are right to a certain extent Gordon. When I have had - the few times that is - a Spaniard say something like go back home etc I have told them that I have paid into the system, which did have an impact and also my past doctor -not the one I have now - told me to go home and see my own doctor! I told her I did not have a doctor in the UK and that she was my doctor and that I had worked here and paid taxes and social security. That stopped her in her tracks :mrgreen:

Well I hope we do not get crushed in the rush so to speak Gordon! :o

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:21 pm

Anyway I am enhancing my status immediately and if anyone wants to know why I shall tell them Gordon told me, so there! :mrgreen:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:23 am

In my experience, if you want enhanced status just learn to speak Spanish, throw yourself whole-heartedly into the way of life in your village, speak English to the school-age young people, be kind and patient with the old people, employ locals to do work every now and then and stand your round with the beers. :wink:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Can work the other way: just another smart-*beep* guiri who thinks he's better than us because he's learnt our language and thinks he's one of us. I think one's experience can be very much affected by where in Spain you live.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Well that means I have double status then! I do agree with you Miro that it depends on where you live. I know people who live in land and speak no Spanish and the locals love them but there again if you live somewhere else if can be quite different. I know when I was the "Presidente" of the communidad speaking Spanish didnt do me a lot of good. I was just an interfering "Guiri" even though I got loads done.
Last edited by patricia on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Exactly my experience, re: the community. Nobody has done more for our community, but that doesn't seem to count for much. Years ago when they first voted for me as president (against my wishes), I pointed out that my Spanish wasn't perfect, and they all said of course it's good enough. But more recently I've been insulted, accused and threatened with legal action (by one particular owner, mostly because they're not happy with the choice of flowers in the garden) and told that I don't understand how things work in Spain because I'm a guiri. But apparently my Spanish used to be good enough to qualify me as their president, when they couldn't be bothered to do the job themselves. :evil:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:57 pm

That is so true. No one wants the job and you take it on and just like you I was insulted and good knows what else. Speaking Spanish doesnt mean much when you are around people who think Guiri´s do not belong and should not have a say in how things are run. Worse thing I ever did was to become President. Although I am pleased with the things I got done, but thankfully I am not the President any longer.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:59 pm

I am not currently president either, but best of all, we're due an AGM shortly - before we sell in May. Oh boy, am I going to enjoy that meeting!! :lol:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Yes! Let things rip :thumbup:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Good heavens Miro, i thought i'd heard it all when you told us about the problems you had with one neighbour threatening to tell the council about the cats in the garden but to threatened you with legal action over the choice of flowers in the garden takes the buscuit,I agree with Patricia..let rip at the AGM... :thumbup:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:44 pm

I do appreciate that where you live is vital to feeling 'at home' and to being accepted, etc. etc. We have just had the thread about how people are treated differently depending on where they live, I remember. As for your tale of woe, Miro and Patricia, the Spanish do tend to have the mentality that whatever is going wrong, it's not their fault. :think: Maybe I would fit right in if I became a Spanish national. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Same owner complaining about the cats and flowers. Basically, she didn't get her way over the flowers, so decided to attack us from a different angle: she knows the cats are our weakness. She's not here at the moment, (but will probably turn up for the AGM); the cats are still here, happy & healthy and bothering no one.
We do worry about when we leave, who will fight for them.