Top heavy with tourists

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Manchesteral
Resident

Top heavy with tourists

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Recent reports (if you take the tabloids seriously) suggest that the Balearic islands are fed up to the back teeth of tourists, can this be true or are they just fed up with *beep* who cause trouble in Magaluf etc ??

Talking to a local today he said that these people are only a minority and have no clue how the economy works, from his own viewpoint he said that as a Canarian without tourists the Canaries would still be using donkeys as a part of their daily life, any comments on this ??

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Top heavy with tourists

Postby olive » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:43 am

Is this to do with property prces and rents being unaffordable for locals ?

The airbnb effect..

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:13 am

Probably a mixture of both.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:52 am

This is the case for a number of big tourist cities, including Barcelona and Venice. In Barcelona they are restricting tourist rental properties and in Venice they have had numerous protests as the city is often overwhelmed with tourists. A couple of examples here of reports:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... rcrowding/

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017 ... -barcelona

We recently went to Toledo which I found a bit overcrowded with coach parties, coming at us in waves and blocking the streets. I know places have tourists and often rely on them as their main source of income, but it is the huge amount of groups all marching along behind a guide with their umbrella/flag/whatever that put me off a bit. One Spanish tour guide had a loudspeaker strapped to her whilst she gave a running commentary as she walked along the road with her group which was a bit intrusive to anyone else nearby.