Spanish woman attacked for Speaking Spanish in London

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish woman attacked for Speaking Spanish in London

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:33 pm

katy wrote: Some people see racism everywhere especially in a place they want to slag off, such as a country that has given homes, jobs and benefits to 10 million immigrants in a decade.
This is an argument by certain people but has no basis. To say there isn’t racism is extremely naive. Who is slagging off the UK? I love going back My original post is about something happening and saying something similar happened to a group I was with. I have family in London and some are quite clearly racist and others are quite clearly not.
katy wrote: BTW she wasn't a single woman on her own and probably not a tourist given where it happened.
Even though Flexo made a mistake, it is obvious she wasn’t alone otherwise she would have been speaking Spanish to herself.
Neither this or the fact whether she was a tourist or not is relevant.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:09 pm

markwilding wrote: Even though Flexo made a mistake, it is obvious she wasn’t alone otherwise she would have been speaking Spanish to herself.
Neither this or the fact whether she was a tourist or not is relevant.
What is that supposed to mean, that I am supposed to keep quiet about friends who is being harassed in London?

I am being harassed here in Spain too, but I am not afraid of Spaniards because I know they are just talk. If I see they are not gypsy I just walk up to them and they either calm down or whimper off. If they are gypsies it is another story but I haven't lived the day a gypsy comes at me for not speaking Spanish.

Brits on the other hand I don't argue with, particularly in London. If someone harasses me in London I will automatically assume they might be packing weapons.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:49 pm

A bit old but still applies. Many well publicised "hate crimes" were afterwards discredited but they aren't as widely publicised.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/t ... ime-spike/

It’s not vainglorious to say that Britain is the most tolerant country in Europe, perhaps the world. In France, for instance, a national news-making hate incident is the attempted burning down of a mosque, which happened last month in Toulouse. In Britain, it is somebody shouting something nasty on a bus.

It’s almost impossible to argue reasonably that Britain is a bigoted country where ethnic minorities are somehow kept down. On the contrary, they are now more likely than whites to hold top jobs (doctors, lawyers, chief executives). More than a million Londoners voted for Sadiq Khan in May, giving him the largest direct mandate enjoyed by any individual in British history — not bad for the capital of a nation in which, according to Lady Warsi, it has become ‘socially acceptable’ to despise Muslims.

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 am

Being pro-muslim doesn't usually go hand in hand with tolerance though as Islam is a very intolerant religion. Roughly 81% of all violent antisemitic attacks in Germany are made by muslims for instance.

The homogenity of most islamic countries in the middle east are something like 98-99.9% islamic.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:03 am

When my sons friend who served in the Army and stationed in Colchester went out on the streets with his colegues they were attacked by muslims, ( this was a day time daily occurance for him and others stationed there)..He was stabbed and according to the hospital the stab wound was located 5mils away from him.losing his life...The police aparently are well aware but will not get involved...Sounds about right!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Wherever there is ignorance there will be racism and it comes from all directions. The U K has an admirable record of ethnic tolerance, we have been inviting people from all corners of the globe for many hundreds of years. The system falls down due to a lack of immigration control and under education.
I will gladly stand up for any human being who needs shelter the problem has arisen in the last 30 years where politicians have buried their heads in the sand and refused to acknowledge the problem that is a lack of serious integration policy. It goes without saying that you cannot expect people of different ethnic origins to integrate without giving them very serious guidelines (and punishment if they fail to adopt to their host country and culture) and the politicians of today mostly don't have the guts to do that !!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 10, 2018 7:52 pm

This has died a death, no news since. Did they arrest anyone. Getting a bit like the gestapo when you could denounce anyone. read recently about a bit of fake news, hundreds of thousands read it but when it was retracted about 200 read it!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 am

Well, my experience was not fake news I'm not retracting what I said happened to my students, which was actually my main point in my OP.

I was on the train and I heard the woman's words.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 12, 2018 11:40 am

I assume you reported it on the appropriate website, no proof needed.

Despite all these stories official figures show that no. Of students arriving since Brexit has increased by a quarter, likewise Academics coming to work here.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:42 am

I've been travelling to Spain for more than 45 years and I don't recall ever being harassed or racially abused especially where I am now, In my opinion Flexo's view of the Spanish people is racist and confrontational in it's content, perhaps he's in the wrong part of Spain ! I have made a good number of friends here and without exception they are friendly and helpful but than again Canarians are a different race from the Spanish anyway as they will all tell you "we're not Spaniards, we're Canarians and god bless em !
From a totally pointless and geographical point of view the Canary islands are actually part of Africa, just sayin !!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:17 am

Flexo wrote:Being pro-muslim doesn't usually go hand in hand with tolerance though as Islam is a very intolerant religion. Roughly 81% of all violent antisemitic attacks in Germany are made by muslims for instance.

The homogenity of most islamic countries in the middle east are something like 98-99.9% islamic.
Flexo, in case you missed it the majority of violent anti sematic attacks anywhere in the world are made by muslims !!