Pellet Stoves

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Pellet Stoves

Postby country boy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:26 pm

I am a complete ignoramus where these beasties are concerned.
We currently have a wood burner but this year log supply is getting a bit sketchy.
Anybody got one? How do you like it? How many sacks of pellets does it use? Any info would be most welcome.
Feliz Ano Nuevo one and all!
:thumbup:

maureenscot
Resident

Re: Pellet Stoves

Postby maureenscot » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:25 pm

My sister had one. She positioned it in her large entrance hall as it made quite a bit of noise. Don't know answers to your other questions, sorry

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 pm

To safe me retyping a previous reply:-
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=27982&p=261243&hil ... es#p261243
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:40 am

Cheers for the re-direct Gerry, very good detail. How many tonnes of pellets do you use in a twelve month, and how many hours per day do you have it lit on eaverage, say at this time of year, say indeed this very week just goneso I can get some idea of costs.
B

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:17 am

Only use it in the winter months, usually just Dec and Jan.
We live in a very old south facing house with thick walls and small windows so it doesn't get as cold inside as modern houses with thin walls and big windows. I believe it is a couple of degrees warmer where I live than where you live.
Normally only need it on in the evenings for a couple of hours. A 15 Kg bag of pellets, about €3.50, usually lasts for 3 evenings.
I buy the bags 10 at a time and 20 bags lasts all winter, so €70 for my winter heating.
Have a look at http://mail.bronpi.com/index.php/en/pel ... ies/stoves where it gives information about the heat output and rate of fuel consumption for each stove.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Dec and Jan, wow, must be warm where you are, or you are made of Hardy stuff. We generally have our log fire lit from Nov thru Mar/apr.
Regards

Bob

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:36 pm

I was born and bred in Wales, so yes I am made of the Hardy stuff not like you soft English. :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:49 pm

Especially us southerners..
Regards

Bob

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Thank you Gerry; Our house is 150 years old with 2 foot thick walls but we do need a fire most evenings, 6pm till midnight and some days from noon and we have even been known to re-kindle the ashes at Breakfast for an all day jobby! But we did come from Dorset so we admit to being a bit soft!
I thankyou for the link to Bronpi.
Food for thought indeed.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:19 pm

It sounds more expensive than burning wood. We tend to use a fire every night from November to March and get through about 5 m3 of wood. We pay €70 a m3 for mixed wood with only a little olive (as that seems more difficult to burn unless small). We supplement that with Aircon until it gets going and we use underfloor heating overnight in the off peak period which means it is warm when we get up.

What sort of price do others pay for wood?

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:35 pm

We pay 60e per cube for olive wood, medium size, no root. That's delivered and stacked. Find it burns a treat as long as some small has been used to get the fire going. We tend to go travelling for 4-6 weeks, generally Feb thru early March and end up using around 3cum for our nightly fire. That's the only heating we use and it keeps the living room and kitchen toasty at around 24deg. Don't heat upstairs as we don't use those rooms, and we sleep with the bedroom window open so pointless heating it. If we have folks around for dinner then we have a gas heater down in the dining room.

We are at around 500m in the campo mountains.

One thing that really works in our favour is that the fire is embedded in a thick internal wall that acts as a storage heater and stays warm to the touch all day.

Gonna be really cold we get back tomorrow after a week in Blighty...
Regards

Bob

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:49 pm

Sid. Is your olive wood seasoned.?

Our replenished store is all less than nine months old and doesn't burn as well as it will in 12 months time. We are fortunate living in olive country not havng to pay for logs. Just our labour and a few bottles of wikki as gifts.

I remember seeing seasoned olive logs for sale at 19 cents a kilo in Granada a few years back.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:31 pm

olive wrote: a few bottles of wikki as gifts.
This is the first time I have seen 'wikki' used on here, & it made me chuckle, as the lady in our village shop called it that, & hubby & I were initially flummoxed until the penny dropped :lol:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:54 pm

olive wrote:Sid. Is your olive wood seasoned.?

Our replenished store is all less than nine months old and doesn't burn as well as it will in 12 months time. We are fortunate living in olive country not havng to pay for logs. Just our labour and a few bottles of wikki as gifts.

I remember seeing seasoned olive logs for sale at 19 cents a kilo in Granada a few years back.
I rarely use it, but the wood I get is well seasoned, it’s just that my burner has trouble with olive unless it is really hot. As a result I avoid it if possible and anyway it’s usually pricey.

I normally buy wood well in advance of using it so it gets even more exposure to the summer sun.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:50 am

El Cid wrote:It sounds more expensive than burning wood. We tend to use a fire every night from November to March and get through about 5 m3 of wood. We pay €70 a m3 for mixed wood with only a little olive (as that seems more difficult to burn unless small). We supplement that with Aircon until it gets going and we use underfloor heating overnight in the off peak period which means it is warm when we get up.

What sort of price do others pay for wood?

Sid
Cheaper than the prices in 2006. Here is an old thread where I was paying €75.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9006&hilit=Wood

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:22 am

I buy olive by the barrow load and put 2 or 3 loads in the back of our car to bring home. We don't have a lot of dry storage space so that's our limit. I like to choose the size of wood as sometimes we only need smaller branches, and others, bigger chunks. We put a builder's bag in the back of the car and it fills it. We pay 12€ a barrow load and that has been the price for as long as I can remember.

We use the aircon when it's not too cold but I find the fan is annoying after a while even though it's got a very quiet setting. We have never needed to use the fan on our built in woodburner thankfully as that would annoy us too! (I think pellet stoves always need their fan on which is one reason why we wouldn't go for one.) It does heat up the whole livingroom wall and into the bedroom next door too so does it feel a lot warmer than just using the aircon.

We only have a small house so it doesn't take too much to heat it, but we do need heating Nov to at least March (have had a log fire in May a couple of times here too!). We aren't that high up, little higher than Torrox pueblo, but with no insulation and breezeblock walls, it is like a fridge indoors.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:40 pm

I am sorry to say that I cannot tell you the price of wood over here as we are on the edge of a group of houses just at the side of unfenced woodland, and when the tree-fellers have done their bit and cleared out what they want, we and the locals nip in each with a trailor and load up whatever is left, which usually quite a lot - not very tidy these feller chaps - and we feel we provide a service clearing out the debris. This year they finished chopping in March, finally finished the bio-mass shredding mid May, so on cooler days in June off we went to scour the area for decent sized branches, smaller bits, and eucalyptus bark for starting the log-fire. We have various trimmings from the fruit trees in the garden as well - fig takes forever to burn and really needs heat to get it going --- We burn mostly eucalyptus and have never had any problem with tarring up of the chimney and it burns nice and hot.

Our wood-burner fire is on from some time late in November usually, just after dark, til bedtime and heats the lounge/diner nicely, opening up into the bedroom about 10 pm so it gets warm in there before we dive under the quilt after the late night film on TV. Sometimes it is still glowing in the morning, but it is very rare we get it going again for all day - perhaps on a miserable February dank day, but that is it until March. By mid april we are only using it on occasional damp nights to cheer the place up.

Incidentally - I wonder if all pellet burners need electric to function? Seems a bit odd!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi,
How a Pellet Burn works..............
https://www.hometips.com/how-it-works/p ... agram.html

We have a Huesos ( olive stones to you and me) boiler, The stones are fed from the Hopper via a Archimedes screw to the fire box, air is is blown in from the base via a centrifugal fan. The Boiler is initially started by using hot charcoal bits from the Wood Stove. Water is passed though a Heat exchanger and via a Pump to Radiators around the House. It Restarts itself via a timer for the Morning Burn. Costs circa 2.50€ /24hr

Disadvantages.......messy.......need room to store Huesos sacks, need to clean out firebox and heat exchanger ever 2 weeks.

No Mains Power No heat..........
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.