Boy who fell into a borehole

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Boy who fell into a borehole

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:04 pm

It's terrible news that a small boy fell into a 110m deep borehole while walking with his family in the campo in Málaga province. The rescue is underway but doesn't sound very promising so far. If the Spanish government want to do something sensible and positive, for a change, they could legislate that ALL boreholes and wells have covers. Owners of land would be the people responsible for the covers. Saprona could do the checks. Hefty fines could be issued (which will pay for the extra duties foisted on Saprona) for non-compliance and the campo would be safer for small boys.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Boy who fell into a borehole

Postby olive » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:59 pm

Terrible for the child. Lets hope for a successful rescue.

We have covered two disused bore holes on neighbours land. They are too small for a child but an animal or a pet would have trouble. I know of two abandoned old fashioned wells ( throw a bucket on rope type) that are just covered with a mat of brushwood.

Having covers would be a good idea but there are thousands , mostly not registered. The modern newly drilled bore holes often have the top secure ( lockable lid or in a locked housing) to stop the theft of the pump.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:07 pm

In theory, I do agree. There are many open 'holes in the ground' in the campo around here and we always walk with a certain amount of caution. Animals decomposing in water sources is not a good idea but, I suspect, many of these boreholes are long forgotten and long-abandoned. It's just a very tragic thing to have happened to a small child.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:30 pm

I am out of the country in the land of milk and honey at the moment so cant see anything on tv about the recovery.

Found an article on Sur in English whish says it was an unlined exploratory borehole. They got a robot down 78 metres . Two years old.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:19 pm

What a nightmare for the family. So sad.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:09 pm

olive wrote:I am out of the country in the land of milk and honey at the moment so cant see anything on tv about the recovery.

Found an article on Sur in English whish says it was an unlined exploratory borehole. They got a robot down 78 metres . Two years old.
Are you saying this story is two years old :?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:14 pm

All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:33 pm

I think Olive means that it is the boy who is two years old not the story.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:49 pm

Aah Thanks :)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:47 pm

Olive press saying that they put a camera down the hole and it looks like there was sand and water at the bottom. Now looking for a body. So very sad.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:03 am

So tragic and so very sad...Terrible thing to happen...

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:39 am

There's a photo on an online newspaper showing (the?) borehole and it's about 30cm diameter. That's not good!
nil illegitimum carborundum

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:54 am

I don't know if any of you remember the story of a six-year old Italian boy called Alfredo who fell down an artesian well — also 30cm in diameter — in Italy in 1981 . It was a huge story because it was taken up by The Sun who gave it massive front-page coverage every day. In spite of a determined rescue operation it ended tragically because the boy fell further and further down the well with each successive rescue operation. I remember it very well for various reasons and it seems so awful that something similar should be happening to another boy and another family.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:10 pm

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:20 pm

That's a good update, Sid. The parallel borehole, to effect a rescue, was also tried in the Alfredo tragedy but it simply caused the boy to slip further and further into the well because of the vibrations and the nature of the terrain.

I'm glad to read there IS a law to say that boreholes and wells should be capped — not that many people take notice of laws.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:40 pm

I wonder how parents recover from something like that happening. I bet they can't bear to think of him possibly suffering.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:48 pm

They also lost a 3 year old child to a heart problem. You can’t imagine their pain.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:28 pm

It will be a miracle if the lad is recovered alive. How you feel for the parents.

Last year there was a spate of bore hole drilling in our area ( more cost effective I guess) . I remember one guy prepared to go to 100 metres but added another 30 and it was predictably still dry. The mess down the hillside will take some years to “ go” . They just left without tidying up or capping. I covered it with as big a stone as I could manage. Only 18 or 20 cm in diameter hole but lethal to any wildlife. I bet they all change their practices now!

As I have said before most don't bother with permission from hidragrafia orthe council. The latter know the drilling company and how many they drill a week. That aspect comes back to corruption in the other thread. They know and turn a blind eye. Illegal wells have spiralled out of control of Hidrografia since the wells become self contained with solar panels. Before you had tohave correct permissions before getting a new mains ele tric supply and meter. No one steps in the way of farmers. Not my problem as I am only a foreigner here for a finite time.

The land owner in this case must be very concerned as will be the drilling company.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:22 am

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:32 am

Let's hope it doesn't rain.