Rainfall.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Rainfall.

Postby country boy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:52 am

I've just done my readings for the last 24hrs: We have had 80mm of rain and a continuous thunderstorm from 0900 'till 2300hrs.
Pretty good huh?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Rainfall.

Postby costakid » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:57 am

Have you seen the pictures of Malaga centre. Hale but looks like snow. Amazing

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:41 am

The east coast has had really bad weather over the last few days. We watch the weather programme on Antena around 4pm and you get pics from around the country. It was even mentioned on the BBC weather the other night.

The rain never really reaches us here. Certainly haven't had the downpours that others have had over the past week, just fairly gentle rain, although tomorrow looks bad. Currently sunshine here.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:25 pm

As you are within spitting distance Mrs W you will be more or less the same as me and I have measured 48mm and change over yesterday and overnight.
Tops the pool up nicely.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:15 pm

Yes I think it was steady overnight but luckily not the monsoon type of downpour we used to have. It may be heavier tomorrow but then the forecast seems to change nearer the time to being just light rain. Looks like sunshine after that though for next week!

Unfortunately what we've had here won't make a lot of difference to the water table and reservoirs. Viñuela is only 29.7% full, same week 10 years ago it was 63% full. We find the future here very worrying as there is constant mango planting in the Axarquia. Yet another huge area is being bulldozed into terraces nearby, all previously dry land. The neighbour that supplies our water decided to plant a couple of hundred trees and now used 'our' water to irrigate them which is annoying. Plus the hundreds of new properties that have been built in the past year and many more proposed along the coast will all need water.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:00 pm

Gosh that is some rain you have been having country boy.

Hardly any here further inland, though enough to stop olive harvesting for a day or two.

I see the Guardia Civil have had a purge on illegal wells. Hopefully they will continue by area. I doubt it will do much to restore acquifers. I have taken to calling our area the green desert. More olive trees, less wildlife and less water.

Maybe a bit tongue in cheek, but the answer is to desalinate seawater on a big scale in the future. At least that would combat the problems of rising sea water due to global warming.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:13 am

Over in Extremadura we had a drought for over a year with a few days rain last Spring that just washed the dust from the trees. It’s been raining more this winter but not nearly enough, yet. Evergreen oaks, encinas, have died in their hundreds and every tree that dies brings desertification closer.

The area where I live is agricultural with water coming via canals and channels from the reservoirs on the Guadiana, one of Spain’s five great rivers. Farmers pay for the water and, over the last 50 years this system has transformed the area both in food production and wealth (but not jobs). However, some short-sighted person, somewhere, decided to offer subsidies to fig farmers. These came with another subsidy to sink boreholes, build a tiny shed and put a solar panel on it to pump the water. Good and green. However, all the new boreholes that provide the water to irrigate all the new fig plantations have already created huge argument and anxiety among local people. In the long run, without reliable rainfall, this type of agriculture is not sustainable as it is on land around the village and not connected to the reservoir water system. We are lucky and live in on the other side of the village with a stream at our boundary, but, in the end, there is only so much water.

If I could make only one law it would be to ban all subsidies for everything. Projects are either viable or they are not. Sucking water from the water table to grow figs is probably not viable but in the meanwhile the subsidies go into the pockets on some of the local people at the expense of others.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:37 am

costakid wrote:Have you seen the pictures of Malaga centre. Hale but looks like snow. Amazing
Absolutely!!! Did you see the little man in the Street Sweeping Machine...how sweet! :crazy:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:58 am

He would have needed a snowplow east of the city. It was knee deep in some areas like Limonar.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:32 am

Our fortunes changed ( exactly as forecast on AEMET) last night. Tremendous localised downpours which may have caused damage. Electric on and off with each lightning/thunder.

Lavanda, that is interesting about the new fig production. In theory one of the measures that could help counter rural depopulation.

On Euronews recently it was claimed that 80% of French farmer income is from subsidies. Somewhat astonishing and I haven’t been able to confirm or refute that by using google.

Certainly we olive farmers do not get anything like that. Around us there is real despair over the collapse of the olive price. I helped some friends yesterday for a couple of hours at the days end. They were taking new shortcuts to save on paid labour costs which I found quite depressing. Our co op wont complete payment for 2018/2019 harvest until June 2020. That is because our Co op was forward enough thinking to have extra storage. interesting article in English here on the problem

https://elpais.com/elpais/2020/01/23/in ... 71027.html

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:38 pm

Lots of photos of Campanillas in the Spanish paper. Cars piled up on each other after the river burst it's banks. The resovoir behind Marbella has had To let water out and some areas has had snow
https://www.diariosur.es/marbella-estep ... 51-ga.html

The Olive Press has better coverage I am told!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:49 pm

Wicksey wrote:Yes I think it was steady overnight but luckily not the monsoon type of downpour we used to have. It may be heavier tomorrow but then the forecast seems to change nearer the time to being just light rain. Looks like sunshine after that though for next week!

Unfortunately what we've had here won't make a lot of difference to the water table and reservoirs. Viñuela is only 29.7% full, same week 10 years ago it was 63% full. We find the future here very worrying as there is constant mango planting in the Axarquia. Yet another huge area is being bulldozed into terraces nearby, all previously dry land. The neighbour that supplies our water decided to plant a couple of hundred trees and now used 'our' water to irrigate them which is annoying. Plus the hundreds of new properties that have been built in the past year and many more proposed along the coast will all need water.
Anyone remember this from around 10 years ago?

viewtopic.php?t=17658

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:17 pm

Crikey. I wrote 12 years ago on that thread

" People are taking more water out of wells and bore holes for crop irrigation and other purposes. Plus there are ever more wells being drilled. Our local driller cannot keep up with demand!"

Well that was certainly true. He bought a second drilling machine S/H from Germany for only 400,000 euros. Marvellous bit of kit it is too.

Pantano de Iznajar is 40% full i.e. 389 de 981 hm3