Light trailers - rules and regulations

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Light trailers - rules and regulations

Postby olive » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:56 pm

Does anyone know the rules and regs for lightweight trailers towed by a Spanish regd car? By lightweight I am talking about unbraked up to 750Kg payload jobs.

In particular are they subject to an ITV yet? This was a rule being introduced/or already introduced that I read about somewhere (I think).

Also are you supposed to have a blue/yellow triangles plate on the front when towing?

I'm fairly OK on speed limits, reflectors, tyre tread and spare wheel side of things. No one around here knows or cares - usual thing. Some of the trailers would look good on "Police, Camera,Action!"

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Light trailers - rules and regulations

Postby chrisuk » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:36 pm

olive wrote: Some of the trailers would look good on "Police, Camera,Action!"
That about answers your question then, if towing with a UK reg car then just abid by the UK regualtions, 750kg unbraked, anything above that weight must then be fitted with brakes, also make sure if towing above 750kg your license covers you, if you got your license before 1997 you are ok.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:57 pm

:( Hi olive. I'm a bit vague on the subject myself, mainly because of conflicting advice I have received since being here but this is the sum of my knowlege and experience, and it might stimulate some response from others.
Trailers under 750 Kg are ok, but they should display a 750Kg sign prominently, have over-run brakes, full lighting , and a snatch link which puts the brakes on if the trailer becomes detached.
Over that weight they need to be homogenised (I think that is the word) with the towing vehicle, ie they go to the ITV centre together and the trailer gets it's own red number plate and has to pass braking and lights etc testing and can only be towed by it's parent vehicle.
Having said all that; I tow a two tonne tipping trailer behind my Range Rover, which has over-run brakes, it is double axle and road legal in YUK. My friendly Guardia Civil neighbour tells me that it is OK unless I 'm in an accident then if I'm unlucky and get the wrong guy on the wriong day I might get fined!! (Spain init!), So basically I think if it looks like it suits the towing vehicle, is properly braked and lighted, has 750 kilos displayed somewhere, and is not over weight, it is a reasonable risk to tow it. My opinion only .
Caravans they hate behind Spanish Reg Vehicles...THEY MUST BE HOMOGENISED
As for un-braked trailers, they seem to be only for perros!
As an addendum; kerbside weight comes into it...look in the towing vehicle's owners manual, it will tell you maximum towing weight.
For instance, in round figures, for my Range Rover: Maximum Kerbside Weight 3.5 tonnes...vehicle weight 2 tonnes...therefor all up towable weight 1.5 tonnes. I tow 2.5 tonnes all up quite happily but that's my risk!!
:?