Quad biking in spain!!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
lorraine
Andalucia.com Amigo

Quad biking in spain!!

Postby lorraine » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Due to move to Spain in next few months does anyone know about the law on Quad biking?? we need to know minimum age etc? any sites with info appreciated. Thanks ps. I know you dont like the noise on urbanizations but we want info for very sensible and responsible people!!!!!!!!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:49 am

to drive on the road it has to be road legal, headlights, no. plates, indicators etc, even needs an mot, tax and insurance!!!! i believe, same as a car - alot of them have been confiscated for not being legal.

caroig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby caroig » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:56 pm

There are three types of registration for quads:-

1) licensed as a normal four wheeled vehicle (normal license plate)
2) licensed as a 'special vehicle' - agricultural (these have a white license plate with red letters)
3) licensed as a 'ciclomotor' or moped - these have the license plates as a 50cc moped.

all the quads round here are licensed as no. 2 (taxes are cheaper). 1 & 2 both require a full driving license with category B (so minimum age 18).

Option 3 only applies to quads of 50cc or less and limited to a max speed of 45kmh. A license of type A or A1 is required.

You don't have to wear a helmet for option 2 although of course you'd be stupid not to. I think this law is changing soon.

You can only drive on the motorway with a type 1 registration.

Top speeds are 70Km for 1 & 2, but most mountain tracks are limited to 30Km and you may well not be able to drive in the mountains when the fire risk is high.

lorraine
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lorraine » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:09 pm

thank you all now had some excellent advice from chrys and all sorted .

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:44 pm

We don't like noise and the clouds of dust from quad bikes in the campo either. Hope you aren't going to use it/them anywhere near us.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:44 pm

seeing that i saw the start of this thread a couple days ago.. i thought i´d be nice and get you the fone number of the quad biking company in fuengerola that does quad bike tours, perhaps they might be able to give you some information ? 637 761 748

Solysombra

Re: Quad biking in spain!!

Postby Solysombra » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:35 pm

lorraine wrote:Due to move to Spain in next few months does anyone know about the law on Quad biking?? we need to know minimum age etc? any sites with info appreciated. Thanks ps. I know you dont like the noise on urbanizations but we want info for very sensible and responsible people!!!!!!!!
Do you mean sensible and responsible as in Ozzie Osborne? :lol:

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:26 am

They do a lot of quadbiking etc at the Marbella Gun and Country Club up in the hills above Monda.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby claire4james » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:10 pm

olive wrote:We don't like noise and the clouds of dust from quad bikes in the campo either. Hope you aren't going to use it/them anywhere near us.
:shock:

chrys macphail
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrys macphail » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:41 pm

I live in the campo and sorry you lot out there but you get noise and dust from all traffic on the tracks here, the roads are dusty anyway in the summer months. Some of you people can be very boring indead. If you dont like the dust and noise then the campo is not for you. Someone asks a simple question and what a load of old rubbish you give as answers. . :roll: :roll: :roll: Lorraine has a 15 year old son and he is probably more sensible than the lot of you. Some of you have given helpful answers, lets keep it that way.
campo chick

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:27 am

chrys macphail wrote: Lorraine has a 15 year old son and he is probably more sensible than the lot of you. Some of you have given helpful answers, lets keep it that way.
Most quads are 150cc or more. I dont think it is legal to ride one under the age of eighteen in Spain. If correct there is no insurance either.

I have owned ATVs/quad for the past 15 years, they are not easy to control or manoevre and I would never ride one without a crash helmet.

Yesterday at 4 in the afternoon I passed two 650cc quads, english plates, one had father with 18 month child the other was being ridden by his 12 year old daughter, no crash helmets not even a sun hat for the baby! these people make me mad, they are a danger to themselves and everyone else around them.

caroig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby caroig » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:50 pm

This is the current legislation for offroading in Andalucia:

Decreto 155/1998, de 21 de julio, por el que se aprueba el Reglamento de Vías Pecuarias de la Comunidad Autónoma de Andalucía. Decreto 208/1997, de 9 de septiembre, por el que se aprueba el Reglamento Forestal de Andalucía. Se prohibe la circulación de vehículos a motor campo a través, por cortafuegos, vías forestales de extracción de madera, vías pecuarias y cauces secos o inundados y, en general fuera de las vías previstas para dichos vehículos. Velocidad máxima de 40 km/h.

You can't drive (with any sort of vehicle) off the recognised tracks, on firebreaks, temporary logging tracks, livestock trails, river beds - generally any track that is not designed for vehicles. And the maximum speed is 40km/h.

In Cazorla national park the use of quads has been pretty much banned and many tracks have signs showing that quads are not permitted.
Last edited by caroig on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:04 pm

There was an article in www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk regarding the abuse of laws regarding quad bikes in the UK