Judgments on forum members

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Judgments on forum members

Postby Jool » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:05 pm

AS has happened very recently, often these days a forum member posts about a difficulty they are experiencing and this turns in to a character assassination based on the flimsiest of evidence and assumptions based on the synopsis of events the forum member has posted.

One member persists in referring to another by a totally different name to the one they use on here, which is inflammatory and antagonistic to say the least, and in general it does not seem to be a place where you can post about difficulties without expecting some kind of personal criticism in return as inevitable. Is this really necessary? Surely if you think someone may have contributed to a situation you can say I find X often makes things worse but Y helps and leave it at that without drawing all kinds of other negative aspersions and conclusions?

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Judgments on forum members

Postby Julie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:11 pm

I agree with you Jools, no need to be rude to other posters, better to keep stum :silent:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:32 am

Jool wrote:AS has happened very recently, often these days a forum member posts about a difficulty they are experiencing and this turns in to a character assassination based on the flimsiest of evidence and assumptions based on the synopsis of events the forum member has posted.
Surely not? :) You'll be suggesting next they then tell us the way you should have done it, the way they did it. Preposterous suggestion! :lolno:

Cheers Jools!
Last edited by frank on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:43 pm

I like prosperous suggestion Frank but I think you meant preposterous....... :lol:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Sometimes it's too late to fix a poster's problem. Giving one's on experience in the matter may help someone else from falling into the same trap. I have gleaned excellent advice here in that manner.
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:51 am

I agree Jool, I know you have a bit of a problem with one poster,which I find difficult because I really like both poster's contributions a lot.

I've always said it's not good for the forum.

Most on here can look after themselves and give as good as they get.That's why they continue to post.When I first joined I found some people's and comments unbelievable considering I was new and people knew very little about me. The two main offenders still post and one was the person who had the problem people tried to help him with (Although I am computer literate,I had never posted more than 1 or 2 posts on any other forum)

I've read about trolls,which is something I don't really understand but shouldn't we give newbies the benefit of the doubt? unless of course they are inflammatory or racist, to get more people on here.

The one thing I still stand by is, it is bad manners to ridicule someone's post by making fun of bad spelling especially when the person had made a relevent and well thought out post.
In the end this is a forum and there will be spats because we all have different opinions about everything.
Last edited by markwilding on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:00 am

I agree with all that Mark.

It is good time to remind people of the "House Rule" that covers this sort of behaviour.

Courtesy and Respect:
Members are encouraged to post and respond in a courteous and polite manner and to be respectful of other users at all times. Our preferred board etiquette is for members to respond to posts with useful or relevant information that pertains to the subject of the thread. We discourage posts that are provocative, unnecessarily critical, attacking, bullying, ridiculing others. If posts fall into this category they may be removed or edited and the user will receive warnings. Persistent offenders will have their accounts removed.

Inflammatory threads or posts that are clearly designed to upset or antagonise other members will be removed and the poster will receive a warning. Further such postings may result in the account being removed.

Sid

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:39 pm

We discourage posts that are provocative, unnecessarily critical, attacking, bullying, ridiculing others. If posts fall into this category they may be removed or edited and the user will receive warnings. Persistent offenders will have their accounts removed.

Inflammatory threads or posts that are clearly designed to upset or antagonise other members will be removed and the poster will receive a warning. Further such postings may result in the account being removed.
Can this be made a sticky or copied and posted on a thread so it is public as a reminder whenever things get near the mark for just a few weeks to re-establish the boundaries by any chance please? I may be hyper sensitive (some may say allergic!) to this particular contributor but I do see at least one forum member on here who seems to me to flout this rule pretty much every day, in particular breaching the rules for avoiding this style provocative, unnecessarily critical, ridiculing....... clearly designed to upset or antagonise other members ?

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:04 pm

The problem with this site is that the Moderation is very poor. It is unbelievable the amount of vitriol and abuse that is tolerated here. On most groups offenders would be warned a couple of time and then banned if they continue.

You can't stop the lunatics joining the asylum but at least you can kick them out the door when they misbehave!

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:13 pm

It is unbelievable the amount of vitriol and abuse that is tolerated here
It does happen on very rare occasions but if you stick around a bit longer you will realise that most of it is just friendly banter :|
Ann

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:25 pm

annfoto wrote:
It is unbelievable the amount of vitriol and abuse that is tolerated here
It does happen on very rare occasions but if you stick around a bit longer you will realise that most of it is just friendly banter :|

I suspect that's the problem. Where does banter finish and an out and out attack start? This is a subjective opinion and I think the Moderators do not know where the boundaries lie.

Some forums have areas that are un-moderated, maybe there should be one here. Then perhaps those members so inclined could go at each other no holds barred.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:The problem with this site is that the Moderation is very poor. It is unbelievable the amount of vitriol and abuse that is tolerated here. On most groups offenders would be warned a couple of time and then banned if they continue.

You can't stop the lunatics joining the asylum but at least you can kick them out the door when they misbehave!
Generally speaking this site is usually well behaved.
The moderators do not read every post.
If you think that a post should be brought to their attention then there is the "report button" next to the "quote" button.
There is a totally unmoderated area called the Amigos Lounge.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:The problem with this site is that the Moderation is very poor. It is unbelievable the amount of vitriol and abuse that is tolerated here. On most groups offenders would be warned a couple of time and then banned if they continue.

You are a new member and have not experienced the situation where this forum was effectively not moderated.

At the request of the members two moderators were appointed - myself and Beachcomber, a few months ago.

It has taken some time to establish the ground rules with the forum owners but I think I can now say that everything is now in place to ensure that this forum is properly moderated.

The forum rules, that everyone signs up for when they register, have been rewritten and a copy of them is on the general forum as a "sticky". This will added to all the other forums next week so every member has an opportunity to read these "House Rules".

You say:-

It is unbelievable the amount of vitriol and abuse that is tolerated here. On most groups offenders would be warned a couple of time and then banned if they continue.

I agree totally and I think you will soon find that is exactly what is now happening.

There are a number of "House Rules" many of them are relating to commercial issues such as advertising and copyright etc. The one rule above all others that really affects the members enjoyment and participation in the forum is the one I quoted "Courtesy and Respect" and is more or less what you are referring to.

Take it from me that this rule in particular is now being enforced fully and will continue to be so.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:49 pm

gerryh wrote: There is a totally unmoderated area called the Amigos Lounge.
Not true Gerry.

It is moderated and all the normal rules apply apart from the relationship of posts to Andalucia. You can post pretty much what you like but just try a personal attack on another member or an advert and it will be dealt with just as quickly as it would be on the main forums.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:00 pm

El Cid wrote:
gerryh wrote: You can post pretty much what you like but just try a personal attack on another member or an advert and it will be dealt with just as quickly as it would be on the main forums.

Sid
I stand corrected.
I hope I would never post a personal attack on another member or post an advert.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:06 pm

El Cid wrote:
There are a number of "House Rules" many of them are relating to commercial issues such as advertising and copyright etc. The one rule above all others that really affects the members enjoyment and participation in the forum is the one I quoted "Courtesy and Respect" and is more or less what you are referring to.

Take it from me that this rule in particular is now being enforced fully and will continue to be so.

Sid
I'm glad to hear it. Subject drift often seems to be the area where things start going awry. IMHO.

A Moderators job, generally, is a thankless task. I do it myself. It is hard to be an active member 'one of the boys' and the guy with the big stick. Good Luck with that one.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:
I'm glad to hear it. Subject drift often seems to be the area where things start going awry. IMHO. e.
Yes, that can be a problem. The occasional funny comment and one or two off topic posts are more than acceptable so long as it then gets back on track but when someone deliberately hijacks a thread - that is not.

One reason it needs to be kept under control is that a lot of people use the search facility which is available on most forums. If 90% of the content of a thread has nothing to do with the subject then it makes the search pretty useless.

The Acom owners feel that the forum is very much part of their purpose to make information about Andalucia available to anyone who wants to access the site. The archived forum posts are an integral part of the information that is available to them and it needs to be easy to access.

Sid

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:33 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:The problem with this site is that the Moderation is very poor.
I don't agree at all.
It is unbelievable the amount of vitriol and abuse that is tolerated here.
This forum has less personal abuse than most I use. I think it is a good place to interact.
On most groups offenders would be warned a couple of time and then banned if they continue.
Infractions are normally given on other forums, then a short ban, but rarely a permanent ban.
If you don't like the way the forum is moderated, you know what to do.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:45 pm

This forum is very tame in comparison to others, we need a bit of banter :thumbup: :thumbup: don't we ???????
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:59 pm

Julie wrote:This forum is very tame in comparison to others, we need a bit of banter :thumbup: :thumbup: don't we ???????
I don't think a bit of banter is what we are talking about here.

This thread was started because of a particular incident which, quite frankly, looked unpleasant to me.