This forum is alive and well....

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
knowal
Resident

Re: This forum is alive and well....

Postby knowal » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Jool wrote:I don´t know if it is the same ones but there is an Albox couple who advertise in the local newspapers and if you go to their website the woman is posing naked (very beautiful I must say) alongside her swimming pool.....and the name of their website advertises what they do....... :silent:
Link required. :lol: :lol:

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:41 pm

..mmm. thanks for that, must say.... all sounds quite fascinating and rather spicy. So, no categories at all as we have today ( a bit chaotic presumably ? ) but intended for the andalucian region ? So there were only a few of our current A.coms on it then ?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:04 pm

I don't think there were any categories. All the current members who joined in June 2004 migrated from the old and, as you say, fairly chaotic forum. There may have been more who joined in the following months.
Let's go Brandon!

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:05 pm

I didn't realise I had been around for so long :D .
But can I just say.......I am not resident in Spain, I own a property in Torreblanca and visit 4 - 5 times a year.............(more if I can persuade the other half) but I do find the forum informative and, generally, helpful.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Can't believe i've been here so long.
Joined after we'd bought our holiday home.
It's been a brilliant source of help and humour.
Thanks to folk on here, I've been doing my own tax returns, soring out my computer when it has a hissy fit, arranging train and bus trips, and laughed so much at some of the mad jokes and posts in the Amigos Lounge.

A few things stand out for me over the years.

Kenny's Xmas list, Dealer, who used to send me lovely p.m.s, and a recipe for Goat Brownies, which actually was a spelling error, but it cracked me and lots of others up.

Lots of sympathy and empathy given when sad things happen, a few annoying and sarky posters too.
Thinking about it, it's just like a family or a workplace where people come and go, but it's still going strong.

Long may it last, and long my my holiday home last too! :thumbup:
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Dear Ansis and other members,

Thanks very much for your member analysis which I found interesting. I thought you might find some interest in this historical perspective.

The original 1997 forum was a simple long listing notice board which we cleaned periodically. There were no message threads, the posters email address was published for direct responses. The sections were: Accommodation Wanted, Property Wanted, Flamenco, and General.

This was upgraded in 2000 to a proper “Message Board” software by Matt Wright based on the leading ‘Web BBS’ public domain cgi scripts provided by Selina Sol (pen name of the programmer(s) which originated from the spelling of Los Angeles backwards). Each post was listed on a threaded contents page. Every post appeared on its own page. It very simple to use.

The sections were Accommodation Wanted, Property Wanted, Flamenco, General, and later also Job search, Situations Vacant, Services Wanted, Classified Advertisements. We also later tried Spanish Exchange and News (Comments on daily news posting) but they were not embraced.

Unfortunately there were few version updates and security became an issue. Here are a couple of screenshots from the very last entries on 4th June 2004. Top and bottom of page

I had asked Edward Chaudry, a computer science student from Nottingham University who was with us for a year (and is now an airline pilot) to research a replacement software. He recommended the ‘phpBB’ software and installed it rapidly. Edward contacted about twenty users of the old software to beta test. Of these, Marina, underwater, avellana, brenda, Kelly, Beachcomber are currently active members. I remember many complaints from members at the time of the change over with a general preference for the older and simpler system.

Edward created the rank names Newbie, Tourist, Resident, Amigo, Guru in the configuration of the software.

The original sections were General, Travel, Tourism & Destinations, Moving to Andalucia, Living in Andalucia, Food Drink Recipes and Gastronomy, Restaurants and Bars, Entertainment Nightlife Ferias and Culture, Parents in Andalucia, Health Beauty Fitness and Sport, and About this Forum.

Unfortunately the oldest posts of the present forumwere lost due to a technical issue. The forum design had a make over in 2006 and the advertising banners inserted. The Amigos lounge was added in March 2007 and the Gurus Den in August 2008.

The software is frequently updated as new versions are released. Long standing members El Cid and Beachcomber became Moderators in May 2011.

Chris Chaplow

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:49 pm

Gurus Den? Where is that????
Dave

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Mowser wrote:Gurus Den? Where is that????

I hope it's a pub! :lol: :lol: :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Here you are sweetie, not sure how many posts you need to enter :wave:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16801

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:19 pm

Didn't work!
Dave

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:06 pm

katy wrote:Here you are sweetie, not sure how many posts you need to enter :wave:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16801
You are not authorised to read this forum. :lol: