Hotel in Cadiz

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Hotel in Cadiz

Postby costakid » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:45 am

Looking to spend a night or 2 in Cadiz. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel and advise on best area to stay. It looks a bit spread out when looking on google earth. Friends are arriving on a cruise ship so want to be near the port area as they will only be in port for a few hours.

Are the bars and restaurants within walking distance of the port?

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Hotel in Cadiz

Postby Free at Last » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:56 am

costakid wrote:Looking to spend a night or 2 in Cadiz. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel and advise on best area to stay. It looks a bit spread out when looking on google earth. Friends are arriving on a cruise ship so want to be near the port area as they will only be in port for a few hours.

Are the bars and restaurants within walking distance of the port?
We stayed here:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/arganto ... 0927762cX1

If you like small, boutique type hotels as we do, it is very nice and on a quiet street not far from the sea front ini the old town.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Everything worth looking at in Cadiz is within walking distance for the port. go to the tourist office and get the map or the routes ... they are marked by different colour lines on the pavements ... A lot cheaper than the bus

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Stayed here while on my motorbike road trip. Clean, safe, cheap, wifi, and near the port. If you end up in Cadiz make sure you see Bar "El Faro". All the locals know it so ask. Fantastic tapas and even better atmosphere.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Booked free at lasts hotel. looks nice in a quiet side street. Any tips will still be appreciated

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:44 am

costakid wrote:Booked free at lasts hotel. looks nice in a quiet side street. Any tips will still be appreciated
Oh dear, I'm nervous now - I hope you like it!

We found the historic part of Cadiz was much smaller than we anticipated and after about half a day we felt as though we'd seen every street of it. As we'd booked to stay for 3 nights, that was a bit of a problem! I notice you are there for less time so that might not bother you. If you do find time hanging heavy, one of the things we did was to take the train (a very regular service and only a few stops) to El Puerto de Santa Maria which is a nice place to look around and have a meal, then got the ferry back to Cadiz.

Can't suggest any restaurants as we really struggled there due to my OH being vegetarian, but if you eat fish, particularly, I'm sure you will be fine.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:44 am

Sorry, double post.

Trigger
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trigger » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:16 am

I thought there was quite a lot to do and see in the old town. As with lots of places in Spain they have a fantastic market. Take a stroll out to Castillo de San Sebastian, and Castillo de Catalina both are either side of the attractive Playa de la Caleta. Take a stroll around Parque Genoves. We visited Flamenco La Cava (a bit touristy I know) where the food and flamenco were great. Had a couple of meals on the street in a couple of nice little restaurants around Plaza San Francisco. There's the cathedral, Plaza de Espana and many other old buildings. We kept quite busy and had a great time.
If you do go over to El Puerto de Santa Maria I can recommend eating at Romerijo's, they have a fantastic range of seafood and they sell it by weight. No frills but good value. Another touristy thing there is a trip around the Osborne Sherry Company, it was quite interesting and beautiful young Spanish guide left four of us three full bottles to sample at the end!
Enjoy your trip.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:02 am

We did the Osbourne tour, it is touristy but not as much as the Jeréz ones. I liked seeing the stables. We were left 3 bottles for two of us...we did our best :D Has to be El Faro to eat, we ate there every time. For just fish there are lots of really tiny bars that have just a few fish to choose from in a street that runs 2nd line to the beach. I would avoid the park, it's full of drug pushers.

Maybe not a lot to do but we love the place just to walk around and soak it all in :)