Ryanair checked luggage anamoly

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Ryanair checked luggage anamoly

Postby olive » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:52 pm

I booked a return flight from the UK and ticked 15kg option for checked luggage (in hold). The other option was 20kg. When it came to it I had 20Kg when packed. No probs I thought and went back on to change it to 20Kg. The option isn't available! All you can do is add another bag of 15Kg.

It actually worked out better value as 15Kg is £15, 20 is £25 and two at 15kg is £30. Bit of a faff trying to adjust the two bags though due to size and weight of the items.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ryanair checked luggage anamoly

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:48 pm

we tried changing a flight to a different day with Ryanair. €55 all in. Booked a new seat and binned the old one €23. Work that out.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:38 am

It always seems more to change than just to book another. Vueling is the same.

On one occasion my OH couldn't travel at the last minute and I looked at rebooking both our flights to another date, but the rebooking fees alone were 180€ (45€ pppw) and the original flights only cost 135€. I think if there's a chance you might want to change you need to pay the flexible fare equivalent but then that's a lot more anyway! In the end I did the journey alone and just 'lost' his fare, then rebooked again for a few months later at much less than 180€. I don't think the low cost airlines want people changing their flights around so make it expensive.

Berliner89
Tourist

Postby Berliner89 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:21 pm

Wicksey wrote:I don't think the low cost airlines want people changing their flights around so make it expensive.
Exactly, It seems that the admin related to making these changes causes actually a bigger hassle than just adding a new flyer to a new flight. It happened the same to me before and also went on to buy a new one instead of changing the one I already had.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:03 pm

Just traveled with Ryanair for the first time in about a year. It seems since Mr.O'Leary has started being nice, things have gone to pot. Allowing an extra "small" bag on board has caused havoc. It basically means that on a full 737-800 of nearly 200 passengers, there are now twice as many bags trying to fit into the same number of spaces, the result being that they now only allow the first 90 passengers to carry their bags on board. Because the passengers know this, a queue starts forming the moment the gate is announced. When it opens, a veritable scrum commences as large numbers of passengers simply push and force their way to the front, causing arguments and scuffles. Last night I was one of the first few non-priority passengers to board, but already most of the overhead bins were full. By the time the last few remaining passengers still with their bags boarded, the cabin crew were having to take the bags off the plane to stow in the hold. The result was a delayed take off of nearly one hour! What an almighty f*** up. I can't imagine how any Ryanair flight can ever depart on time anymore, and I for one will not be booking with them again. :cry:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:32 pm

I find the last post very unusual. I think you were just unlucky, it can happen. Having had well over 1,000 flights with Ryanair, I've never experienced a "scrum", even on full flights. I have to admit I do book Priority boarding now as it guarantees my bag on board. I only ever travel with hand baggage. As for making booking changes, of course it's expensive, they are a business after all.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:33 pm

They have now introduced a new boarding system at some airports including Malaga. They now segregate into two queues Rows 1-15 and rows 15 onwards.
They board the rear ones first.
On their booking site, you can purchase your seat number and presumably soon you will find rear seats more expensive than front ones!
Personally, I prefer to have them put my carry on bag in the hold. It saves all the effort of lugging it on and off and into/ out of the overhead locker. There is seldom a delay at the carousel at the other end.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:37 pm

I came back from Manchester to Málaga on Sunday with Ryanair, and that plane certainly took off on time despite the flight being full. I did pay the Leisure Plus fare which includes a checked in bag plus Priority Boarding (and next time I'll pay for Fast Track security as well after having had to queue for very nearly an hour to get to security at Manchester - unlike Málaga where it was about 5 minutes). I saw no signs of a scrum on boarding, though, nor were the cabin staff having to take bags from passsengers to put in the hold although a few people had to go down the plane searching for somewhere to stow their bag. I took a handbag which I put under the seat in front of me plus a bag and my coat in the overhead locker and unlike on previous flights with other airlines (Monarch for one) I wasn't asked to remove my coat to make more room in the overhead locker for other people's bags.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:45 pm

I've only flown Ryanair for years now. Maybe I was just unlucky this time - but 2 out of 2 flights were exactly the same. The old system of boarding by row numbers would seem the most sensible option, but was not applied at Málaga or Hamburg. I reserved seats in row 30 (of 33) for both flights, and boarded both times by the rear entrance, but both times the overhead bins were almost full already with just the priority bookings. Presumably most people are now going this route, but that kind of negates the advantage, doesn't it? The scrum coming back got quite nasty, with pushing and shoving, and staff totally disinterested in doing anything to help matters. People joined the priority queue, and when staff refused them boarding because they were not priority passengers, they simply stood to the side, in front of the other queue - and nobody did anything to prevent it. Shambles.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:37 pm

The "high" charges for changing flights was introduced to prevent organisations block booking flights for Joe Soap etc at cheap rates the changing them when they actually had passengers for the flights.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:58 pm

Miro wrote:.....I for one will not be booking with them again. :cry:
Alright....I already did :oops:

I've calmed down a bit now! I've just booked with easyJet (for the first time in years) to the UK in February because I overheard someone today mention they have a sale on. 2x one way flights for €35, and decent flight times too, seemed too good to pass up. But the return flight departs at 06:00 - so I looked at Ryanair, and although it's nearer €60 (by the time you've added the compulsory seat reservation) for us both, the flight departs at a much more civilized midday. So, against my better judgement perhaps, I've surrendered already to the inevitable!

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:50 pm

The luggage cost is my one bug bear with Ryanair. I have been flying with them regularly and have had no bother what so ever, seldom book a seat, no 'other queue' scrums people mention and only one slight delay on departure of a flight. I often let them add my hand luggage to the hold luggage free of charge if I have other bags or in no hurry for my lift on arrival.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:02 am

The second bag allowed by Ryanair is only small, like a handbag. For me I find this a lot better as I have a bag that is big enough to hold my mini laptop, small handbag and sarnies! It fits under the seat in front so is not meant to go into the overhead locker.
I find Easyjet far worse when I am told to put that bag into my carry-on case as they only allow 'one bag' but then allow people to carry on bags of duty-free shopping which is far larger. In the end I put my bag into a plastic M&S bag and nothing is said.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:47 am

The problem on our recent flight was that the "second" bag many passengers were carrying was just as big as their first. Nobody was stopping them, and yet only the first 90 passengers were allowed to take their luggage on board - obviously, since they had enough hand luggage for 180 people! I found myself wishing I was on the adjacent easyJet flight, where staff were robustly telling everyone that only one bag is allowed, and were also checking dimensions. If every passenger stuck to the rules, and if all the staff enforced them equally, the system might work. But in the real world....
Anyway, come February I'll report back on easyJet v Ryanair for our UK trip.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:04 pm

Victims of their own success. Casting our minds back, O'Leary said it would/should be cheaper to buy what you need at your destination. That saved them spending money at airports on baggage handlers.

The next step would be to incorporate luggage hold space into the cabin and have people take their own luggage on board. That would need a redesign of aeroplanes. If you have hold luggage what is the problem with having your cabin bag in the hold?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:37 pm

No problem, since what I need on board fits in a pocket or in my hand usually - I don't really need a "cabin" bag - but since the advent of the so-called budget airlines, I've never ever checked in luggage for the hold. In fact, I used to fly long-haul to all sorts of places back in the day, with cabin luggage only on many occasions. I'm always amazed at the amount of "stuff" people travel with.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:33 pm

I have hand carry for anything I don't want to 'lose' en route - chargers etc, laptop/netbook, phones, camera, set of spare underwear, reading matter (for flight), basic first aid (yes I could probably replace it at my destination, but wouldn't want the hassle if say I had a bad headache), sarnies - it's surprising how quickly it all mounts up ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:36 pm

Miro wrote:No problem, since what I need on board fits in a pocket or in my hand usually - I don't really need a "cabin" bag
Miro you must be male .... us girls need more stuff :lol: Even my OH now needs a 'man bag' to carry his glasses in.

Like Chrissiehope, by the time I have my reading glasses, my notebook laptop which I like to use whilst on board, all the travel paperwork, passports, mobile phone, OH's book, wet wipes .... and of course the ever present sarnies and water (I always seems to travel over meal times and need my food supply) I do need a small bag that goes on the floor with me to hold everything! We only ever go away for a few days so small carry-on cases hold all the rest of the clothes etc, and we just don't need a large suitcase so wouldn't bother with hold luggage normally anyway.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:22 pm

One problem with cabin baggage being taken and put in the hold is that I am extremely nervous about being away from my medications - cabin bags do not normally disappear, so knowing that my insulin and other medicines are only a few feet away is comforting.
I try not to imagine the difficulties in rapidly getting hold of prescription medicines in a foreign country!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:34 pm

Miro, seat reservation with Ryanair is not compulsory!