Del Paso - Beware !!!

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
ashtondav
Resident

Re: Del Paso - Beware !!!

Postby ashtondav » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:15 am

Doyouspain allow you to filter out the scum operators who prey on the unsuspecting.

I usually use malagacar.com, but the last two hires they gave me awful cars with 50k on the clock, one of which conked out completely. My personal bests are Helle (when priced competitively), centauro and malagacar.com.

My personal nemesis is Goldcar, but mates assure me they've improved no end so I'm going to try them at some stage.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:42 am

I've already recommended http://www.autoclick.co.uk. I've hired from them twice, and have a third booked for next month. They operate full/full, don't give you any hassle about having own insurance, and the staff are very pleasant. One thing I have noticed with them, if you have any flexibility for dates, changing by a couple of days can make a massive difference to cost. I was going to hire for 1 day, which was 12.64 euros, but when I looked 2 days was the same price. The only extra was 3 euros per day roadside assistance, which you can decline if you wish. They all seem to charge extra for this now. Just another way to get money off you
AlisonB

CielodeCadiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CielodeCadiz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:01 am

I have messed around with the "discount" car rental companies and been cheated more than once. I try to stick with Hertz, if you apply for their loyalty program you can get the rate down and they are much less likely to ding you with unanticipated charges.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:44 am

I find it amazing how many people feel they have been cheated by hire companies. In my experience it is usually because they have failed to read the terms and conditions and taken the most basic precautions with their hire.
I have just booked again through DYS with Firefly this time. 31 euros for 11 day carhire of a VW Golf (or similar). I know I will be charged 35euros or so for a refuelling charge, the fuel charge will be refunded if I return the car full. - so my total cost will be less than 70 euros for 11 days....find me one cheaper.
I have Insurance4carhire which covers any insurance excess so I understand the company will block an amount against my credit card of up to €1500 which will be released when I return the car undamaged. I take photos of the car on pick up and comparable photos on return and mention that I have done so.
I have never had a problem over many years renting perhaps 4 or 5 times a year. I once had a lump sum withheld from my deposit but that was because I had reversed the car into a large lump of rock. I made a claim to Insurance4carhire and it was settled in full within 2 weeks.

Good enough for me.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 am

I agree with you Gus, and we also use the personal excess insurance.

Perhaps it is a case that some people do not often rent cars and therefore do not understand the importance of checking the fuel arrangements for instance, and the Ts & Cs. We rent cars about 3 times a year so have our favourite companies and know how they work now.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Gus - just to say we took precautions when we picked up the car - taking photos of damage we found, and reporting it. However, the scratch that was found on return was so slight that, given the bad lighting, could easily have been there at the start of the hire, but missed.

We also have the excess policy, which paid out, BUT NOT THE BANK CONVERSION CHARGE which I think is a bit wrong - apparently they are "not allowed to do it" :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:57 pm

No luck with Del Paso claim, but we got £800 back from Norwegian so that made up for it. Del Paso has put OH off renting cars

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:59 pm

We rent cars all the time and have our own annual excess. We fully understand the T&Cs. These guys are robbers, angry and hostile re excess insurance. There was no scratch so just plain robbers

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Agree T&C's of full empty etc is very different to what is basically fraud/theft. The best thing anyone can do is to google a company before they book

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:19 pm

I have just returned to Spain from a Christmas/New Year trip in the UK, flying into Liverpool.
I booked a hire car from Liverpool Airport via economycarrentals.co.uk ( a broker) who reserved a car for me through Green Motion, a hire company I had not heard of before.
At the hire desk the CSR decided to advise me that it was brokers such as economycarrentals that were " ruining" the industry by offering such perks as unlimited mileage so all the mainstream renters, including themselves were restricting daily miles to 90 miles!
Utter Bullsh*t! It is lying, scamming hirers such as Delpaso who are ruining the industry.
I do not agree with Gus's interpretation of things but I do advise hirers to choose their hire companies carefully, be vigilant of the many scams and rules ( often hidden) and take photos as evidence.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:44 pm

When has unlimited mileage ever been a perk!? 30 years ago?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Hey Gus, agree with you but none of the small print mentions the queues of 1 hour or more encountered by the likes of Record, Firefly and Goldcar. Sadly malagacar.com let me down last time with what looked like an hour queue. These queues only apply at peak times and peak seasons - or so I am assured!

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Queues are something I hate - that's why I stopped using Goldcar and Record. Never really had a problem with Firefly or DelPaso as far as queues are concerned. Once had DePaso charge me for damage, but, as I mentioned above, I had reversed into a great lump of rock!
I have never met any of the "hostility" that others mention regarding excess insurance - maybe it's the fact that I mention I have my own and know I'll have to leave a deposit on my credit card. I can't recall ever having the deposit charged to my card, only that it is held against the card "in case it is needed". No problems therefore in refunds.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:01 pm

The other issue I have from time to time is the "out of hours" charge which can be levied - EasyJet's last flight out from Luton only needs a slight delay to take us past midnight - but I do understand that the charge is there.

CielodeCadiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CielodeCadiz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Stevemul wrote:it was brokers such as economycarrentals that were " ruining" the industry by offering such perks as unlimited mileage
I would agree that these brokers are quite sneaky. I will only deal direct with the car rental company.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:26 pm

I obviously did not explain my thinking properly. On the contrary, I believe it is the rental companies who are " sneaky" - certainly economycarrentals brokers are anything but sneaky. They list cars available and the extras included or otherwise. The only problem I have with them is that you do not find out which company you are boking with until you receive your voucher. I will not therefore use them when renting at Malaga airport in case I get a voucher for Delpaso!! Everywhere else has been fine.
I should also say that the time I was scammed ( and assaulted - see a previous post) by Delpaso, economycarrentals supported me fully in claiming ( and getting) a refund from them.
If you listen whilst queuing to many CSRs dealing with other customers who have not booked through a broker or other 3rd party, you frequently hear them upselling extras using hardsell and often misleading scare tactics, particularly expensive "excess insurance" . €10 a day to insure a €1000 excess is an annual €365 policy to insure €1000!

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:33 pm

I assume you mean €3650 not €365.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:07 am

Sorry - typo, yes

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:28 am

The only time we have ever encountered a dreadful queue of 2 hours was in Fuerteventura one Saturday evening. It wasn't just us but also the Hertz desk next to us had a similar, slow moving line. We tried all the other companies with desks in the airport, but they had run out of cars. We heard people say that there was also an hour's queue for a taxi, so I think the whole system had just failed.

It was doubly annoying to us as we had booked that day as the flight was due to land early afternoon but was changed to the evening, when I'm sure it was busier. Unfortunately we couldn't change it (although it was offered for free) as there were only 2 flights a week from here, otherwise we could have gone the next day. I don't think we've ever had to queue long in all the years and countries we have rented cars, so I guess we've been pretty lucky otherwise.

We used Green Motion once in Stansted but didn't like them. We use Hertz now in the UK and have had good deals and service with them.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:01 pm

Doyouspain always tell you upfront on the quote which car hire company it is. Even better you can filter out the dodgy companies like del paso, Goldcar, record etc before you ask for quotes. Going direct is usually bonkers as it cost a more