Ryanair and extra bags

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Ryanair and extra bags

Postby olive » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Interesting article on Ryanair and people abusing the carry on allowance. we have all seen it. In fact some on here might be abusers!

Also about switching capacity from what i would term dodgy destinations to less dodgy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38878088

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ryanair and extra bags

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Miro wrote:Just traveled with Ryanair for the first time in about a year. It seems since Mr.O'Leary has started being nice, things have gone to pot. Allowing an extra "small" bag on board has caused havoc. What an almighty f*** up. I can't imagine how any Ryanair flight can ever depart on time anymore :cry:
(Dec 13th 2016 viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35690)

BBC Headline 6th Feb 2017: "Ryanair a 'victim of its own niceness'"

"Ryanair said ""We are looking at...a review of our service policies such as the two free carry-on bags which are the cause of increasing boarding gate delays" "

I think I should get paid for that article!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Well when you consider how much they charge for putting a bag in the hold then they are going to get people trying to abusing the carry on allowance...Ryanair have only got themselves to blame..

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Just got back from a brief trip to the UK flying Norwegian Air Malaga to Manchester and back Ryanair Liverpool to Manchester. Costs similar but Norwegian slightly cheaper.
Norwegian Air was a calm, orderly boarding. Comfortable seats, WiFi on board! Decent not excessively priced food and drinks, few announcements.
Ryanair today was the usual manic passenger scramble. Yes, I totally agree that the two bag rule is bonkers. One suitcase being manouvered along the corridor with the second bag swinging off the shoulder wacking seated passengers, staff yelling to passengers to get seated quickly, continuous overloud announcements selling hot food, drinks, duty free, scratch cards.
It really is a people watchers paradise of spotting " Who is on this planet?"

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:09 am

The "abuse" problem is entirely Ryanair's fault. Their staff could prevent passengers boarding with oversize bags, but they can't be bothered. Much easier to shuffle boarders through and pass the problem o someone else'

Parilla

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:36 am

Ryanair seem to have purges. I guarantee they will crack down for a few weeks now leading up to Easter when families travel and take everything they can on board.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Parilla wrote:The "abuse" problem is entirely Ryanair's fault. Their staff could prevent passengers boarding with oversize bags, but they can't be bothered.
I agree, it is absolutely Ryanair's fault. It's their stupid policy, which they obviously haven't yet decided to ditch, and their staff who are not properly trained.

More headlines about Ryanair's disastrous "second" hand bag policy: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/ ... -the-hold/
We're flying this week with easyJet but returning with Ryanair, taking just one carry on bag between two of us. I will report back on how we get on.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:13 pm

2 weeks ago we flew from Malaga to Liverpool with Easy jet and back with Ryanair.
Evidence of more than one and/or oversize bags on the Easyjet flight but the plane was no where near full so no problem.
Didn't notice any abuse of baggage allowance on the Ryanair flight which was full.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Capitan-Roberto
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Capitan-Roberto » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Flew on the new Ryanair route from Aberdeen to Malaga a couple of days ago and no abuse evident. Good flight - even arrived a few minutes early!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:52 am

Back in Spain now, and had no problems on either easyJet or Ryanair, but both state that hand luggage may be taken off passengers and put in the hold, which results in everybody making a dash for the boarding gate as soon as it's announced in order to get in the queue. Hardly conducive to a relaxed experience. Kind of negates the improvement of allocated seats - might as well go back to the free-for-all of old, since it's now equally as chaotic as before. Ryanair's policy of allowing a "second small piece of hand luggage" is ridiculous, though. In front of us in the queue were three young girls, each with two full sized cabin bags, plus their handbags AND duty free carrier bags. That's FOUR pieces in my mind, but nobody stopped them. Presumably some people further down the line had their bags confiscated.
Given the choice and all things being equal (price, flight times etc.) I'd choose easyJet every time over Ryanair though. Although hardly luxurious, compared to Ryanair's wafer thin vinyl seats with a hair's width of elbow room, easyJet is positively comfy!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Intresting reading as we are flying with ryanair in april. The first time since the second bag rule came in. We have also bought a max sized handluggage as putting a bag in the hold would have cost more than the return flight! before we just used a pretty small hand luggage roller case.

I think the only thing that gets people on ryanair is the price. the seats etc are dire compaired with easy jet/jet2 etc but I cant really complain when i get a return flight for €45 euros. Its been a godsend to many people who have been able to visit places that they couldnt afford to before. thats prob one of the reasons the "establishment" like to have a go at oleary etc every chance they get.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Well, according to an article I read yesterday, it's now the world's largest airline, so as you say, we can't really complain, since it's us bargain lovers who put them there!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Very true. Long may the cheap flights continue

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Ryanair seats are narrower at 16" vs ezy's 17.5". But Ryanair give 31" legroom vs ezy's 29"

Takes ya pick! I pay extra and sit in the front row, and it's still cheaper than ezy.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Ryanair are lying. There's not even room for a sick bag between the seat in front and my knees. Definitely had more room on easyjet.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:39 pm

No, them's the facts. Google it and see.

Like I say I buy the front row and it's still cheaper than ezy.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Alternative facts. My knees don't lie.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Don't forget with Ryanair It's also often a longer walk to the terminal at Stansted!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:20 am

I have recently, for the first time, had the pleasure ? of travelling through STN. It's diabolical So much walking. On the return sector I was comprehensibly early so I paused at a bar for a pint, £5.80 ! It was the only place to sit. I was in sight of a monitor so could keep an eye on my departure gate, which, it said, would be allocated at 18.00. It wasn't, it was nearly 18.10. I literally downed my pint, picked up my bag and set off, rounding a corner I passed a sign which informed me that from that point it was a 10 minute walk to my gate, 10 minutes. Now to someone of my natural athletic ability this is no problem ( I jest, I am probably 20kg overweight and mildly asthmatic) a 10 minute walk, in a rush, is a long way.
What a place, luckily I cannot envisage ever using that place again.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:09 am

We flew into STN from Dublin with an onward transfer to a Malaga flight. This was classed as a domestic flight linking to an International one so we had to exit the terminal and re enter through security. Although allowing nearly 2 hours for the transfer, we barely made it.
In security, when everything was loaded into trays, one of the trays in front going through the xray spilled an iphone headset which jammed the conveyor belt! The staff were delighted that an " incident" had brightened their sad day and for 20 minutes stood around pondering the dilema. I could have easily reached over and pulled the wires free but of course this would have been a security breach so I had to stand in disbelief as the tragedy unfolded.
When eventually someone used some common sense, we were left scrambling to get to the gate on time.