Outgoing passport control delays, Malaga

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Outgoing passport control delays, Malaga

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Before travelling to Stansted last week I received an email from Ryanair warning of possible delays at outgoing passport control at Malaga due to increased security checks. It said we should be at the airport 3 hours before departure time. On Googling, it seems that they are releasing the gate number 1 hour 40 mins before departure to give time to get through. Knowing this we arrived 2 hours beforehand, and the queue was huge to get through the passport control area for the B gates (C gates area was empty).

Luckily they were processing people quite quickly but I'm not sure if this is a temporary arrangement or not as there were barriers set up so you had to zigzag along (as in the security queue) for part of it, but the rest of the queue went quite a way down the main corridor. People kept going past thinking we were queuing for something else presumably, then realising it was the queue for passport control had to march all the way back to join the end of it.

It's strange that they are introducing more controls on us lot leaving Spain, whereas at Stansted there was no outgoing passport control at all!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Re: Outgoing passport control delays, Malaga

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Wed May 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
We will be there in three weeks, so I'm going to rearrange our transfer from Estepona for much earlier than at present.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed May 17, 2017 2:05 pm

We went to Blighty last Friday and returned yesterday with Mr. 'Oleary both ways and we have never moved thro' the airport more quickly (both ways), even had an airbridge on the return.....you can never tell!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Did you get the email warning you of delays? I travelled on Thursday last week and they emailed me the day before.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed May 17, 2017 4:58 pm

No nothing....perhaps it was because it was Bournemouth......pretty civilised territory around there :angel:

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed May 17, 2017 5:15 pm

We went to the UK last Friday, Security was slammed, but still got through fairly quickly as they seem to have opened a bunch more scanners. Outbound passport control had a queue, but moved fast as they had 4 desks open, maybe 5-10 minutes no more. The longest queue we encountered was for Burger King :-)

Coming back on Monday we got through passport control faster than ever before, and we have done it more times than I care to count. Was an early flight so maybe they weren't busy yet.

Given the reports of delays in the papers recently I was expecting the worst and ended up getting the best.
Regards

Bob

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Wed May 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Just returned from a UK trip via Santander and on leaving and returning pulled by customs and on both occassions aske how much money we had.
Ray

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed May 17, 2017 9:01 pm

And they took your word or did they search the car.

brimsham
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby brimsham » Wed May 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Of course they took my word, honest face!!! Didn't bother with a car search probably too stuffed with things various to bother.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 18, 2017 9:55 am

Wicksey wrote:Did you get the email warning you of delays? I travelled on Thursday last week and they emailed me the day before.
country boy wrote:No nothing....perhaps it was because it was Bournemouth......pretty civilised territory around there :angel:
This is what I received:

Dear Customer.

Due to extended Travel Document Checks by Border Control Authorities, customers are advised to expect possible delays at immigration control points across our European network.

Ryanair advises customers to arrive at least 3 hours before the scheduled departure time of their flight, to ensure they have sufficient time to arrive at the boarding gate at our recommended 30 minutes prior to their scheduled fight departure time.

Ryanair Customer Service

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 am

it was slow at security yesterday (20 mins) and b term 30 mins...

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri May 19, 2017 11:22 am

What's "b term 30 minutes". I assume a typo?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri May 19, 2017 12:33 pm

probably B gate ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

jamesbowker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jamesbowker » Fri May 19, 2017 7:10 pm

I flew back to London last Friday (12th) via C gate/Easyjet and also received a warning message regarding security checks. However the queues were minimal and the passport check was as cursory as normal. Perhaps it was just due to lucky timing? I've learnt to stop by the Easyjet ticket desk before passing through Security as they display a schedule of day's flights and departure gates. This often saves a lengthy queue because the info isn't displayed on the Airport monitors until much closer to departure time of course. I also noticed that the Security channels were not quite as chaotic as last month when it was verging on a "free for all" !!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat May 20, 2017 10:42 am

ashtondav wrote:What's "b term 30 minutes". I assume a typo?
B Terminal or that's what i call it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat May 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Passport control for the C gates was empty when I was there last week, it was the B gate border control with the queues. Not sure what it's all about or how long it will be like that (not that we shall be going back to the UK for some considerable time now, thank goodness!)