Hotel Recommendations in Palma Mallorca, please

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
vinuela vinny
Resident

Hotel Recommendations in Palma Mallorca, please

Postby vinuela vinny » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:48 am

Hi

After several days of being underwhelmed by internet search results and overwhelmed by hotel booking comparison sites with their spurious reviews, we wondered if anyone on a.com might be able to offer advice?

We are a quite mobile couple in our late sixties, thinking of a self-organised three day midweek city-break in Palma, Mallorca sometime late next month, and wondered if anyone could recommend a decent quality but reasonably priced quiet hotel in the old town of Palma, please?

We are looking for room only or perhaps bed and breakfast, within reasonable walking distance of the centre or old town and port area, and intend to use public transport from the airport, or taxi if necessary....

Any thoughts as always, very much appreciated

Best Regards to all

Vincent

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hotel Recommendations in Palma Mallorca, please

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:25 am

I can’t recommend a hotel as we rented an apartment but the Santa Catalina district is nice and close to old town.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks Costakid - very helpful!

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Hotel Born. Very nice and bang in the centre!
Last edited by ajtg1952 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:26 pm

Years since I stayed in a hotel in Mallorca, However I can highly recommend Portixol which is about 2-3 kms from the old town, about 15-20 mins walk and slightly east of the town centre.
Like costakid we rented an excellent old (very well maintained) town house, two mins walk from the paseo.
Portixol is a very relaxed old fishing village which is being brought up to scratch, very low key and not expensive, no discos, nightclubs or noisy bars perfect for a relaxing holiday with some excellent small restaurants and cafe style bars, for self catering peaceful holiday I would recommend it and we're planning to visit again !!
Forgot to mention, we paid €70.00 per night for our excellent accomodation !!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:07 pm

I lived in Palma centre before moving to Andalucia way back in 2001, so things have no doubt changed a great deal, but I remember the Hotel Born being a lovely place, and also the Portixol, exactly as described by Manchesteral. In fact, I still have one of their beautiful glass ashtrays that a friend of mine ( :wink: ) snuck out in his pocket once when we were visiting there for drinks. The same friend used to own (and I used to work at) the Hostal Brondo, which was a wonderful rustic (crummy) old place but I see is now the Brondo Architect Designer Boutique Hotel or some such. Still a great location, though. On Calle Apuntadores, the Hostal Apuntadores is about the only budget priced place still going, if the others seem too pricey. Palma is expensive, but do try to pop into Abáco one night (just off C/Apuntadores) - even if you can only afford one drink there, you'll not regret it. To compensate, have dinner in Bar Día, almost opposite - probably the best value place to eat in town, and the owner, Juanco, is a real character. Just don't tell him he looks like Al Pacino - he's heard it a million times :lol:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks again ajtg1952, Manchesteral, Miro - very much appreciated.......

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:01 pm

Miro wrote:I lived in Palma centre before moving to Andalucia way back in 2001, so things have no doubt changed a great deal, but I remember the Hotel Born being a lovely place, and also the Portixol, exactly as described by Manchesteral. In fact, I still have one of their beautiful glass ashtrays that a friend of mine ( :wink: ) snuck out in his pocket once when we were visiting there for drinks. The same friend used to own (and I used to work at) the Hostal Brondo, which was a wonderful rustic (crummy) old place but I see is now the Brondo Architect Designer Boutique Hotel or some such. Still a great location, though. On Calle Apuntadores, the Hostal Apuntadores is about the only budget priced place still going, if the others seem too pricey. Palma is expensive, but do try to pop into Abáco one night (just off C/Apuntadores) - even if you can only afford one drink there, you'll not regret it. To compensate, have dinner in Bar Día, almost opposite - probably the best value place to eat in town, and the owner, Juanco, is a real character. Just don't tell him he looks like Al Pacino - he's heard it a million times :lol:
Not sure of the name of the place, but we went to a bar where the owner did indeed look EXACTLY like Al Pacino, I didn't mention it though in case he introduced me to his "little friend" :-)