the nun's biscuits

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

the nun's biscuits

Postby Flashman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:12 pm

recently took my girls to Granada for their first trip and wanted to show them a convent where I'd been before and bought some biscuits made by the nuns via a 'lazy susan'. we did have a conversation with a sister through the hatch but sadly no biscuits as they've stopped making them... at least I think that's what she was saying.

does anyone know other convents or monasteries in Granada (or nearby) still doing this?

maureenscot
Resident

Re: the nun's biscuits

Postby maureenscot » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Yes. I have bought biscuits from the nuns in the centre of Ronda twice. It only opens in the mornings.

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:18 pm

I believe this still happens in Antequera.

"Plaza de las Descalzas, where the Museo Conventual de las Carmelitas Descalzas number_6 (in English, The barefoot Carmelites’ Museum and Convent) is to be found.

Enter the wooden door, and find a small counter where bakery products are displayed. These are made by the nuns, and you can buy them by pulling a rope with a bell, give your order and place the money on the tray. As the nun spins the plate round, the pastries will emerge from the other side, for you to enjoy them.

In this 17th– century convent you will also find a museum, where highlights of Antequera’s outstanding cultural heritage are displayed. Among them, don’t miss the painting of Saint Teresa of Ávila, the founder of the Carmelitas Descalzas in the 16th century."

Hope you find some there.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:27 pm

All the Convents sell biscuits here using the same table-turning method so they they remain cloistered.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:00 pm

thanks for the suggestions, gives me another reason to venture to new towns on our next visit, much obliged

any more suggestions for in Granada itself?