Looking to move to Andalucia

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Suecheshireuk
Tourist

Looking to move to Andalucia

Postby Suecheshireuk » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi, firstly I will introduce myself. My name is Sue, as my user name suggests, and currently my hubby and me live in a village called Esentepe in North Cyprus, we absolutely love the village and our traditional village house, but sadly times are changing and tourism is kicking in, along with hotels and high rise apartments in the main town of Kyrenia, so it's time to move on, and we are looking at somewhere in Andalucia, we have never been , but used to have a place in Torrevieja 15 years ago. We are coming over next March to do some exploring, we purposely chose out of season as we want a village location, but not one that more or less closes in winter. We prefer traditional homes, and not a built up urbanisation, and like to be walking distance 20 mins or so to somewhere we can sit and have a coffee and people watch, a promanade, harbour etc. We are very flexible on the area if anyone thinks this description will match a different area. Thanks in advance. Sue. :D

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Looking to move to Andalucia

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:12 am

Good Morning Sue and Welcome to the Forum :wave: ,

As you are already an expat you will have the advantage of understanding how a foreigner needs to apply themselves with adjusting to living within a different lifestyle and culture....Very Important !

Andalucia is a very big area to cover, but I'm sure some of our members will come along with advice about where they live etc.
I'd guess that you will already be researching the many estate agents who have websites and although this is a great source of information you can't actually beat footslogging around the areas that you may think will suit your needs.
I'm sure that you will be aware that some property information offered on the internet is false and quite often very misleading, but can also point you to some places that you wouldn't normally consider.
I would recommend that you concentrate on perhaps 2 or 3 smaller areas and heavily research them before your proposed visit, it would be also more helpful if you could give some more of your background and needs to help other members offer suitable advice, if you are retired or need to work etc., we don't need your shoe size... :D
Good Luck,
Gordon.

Suecheshireuk
Tourist

Postby Suecheshireuk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi Gordon, thanks for your reply. Yes, I am looking at estate agents, we do seem to keep going back to the Mojacar area, and this is where we will base ourselves when we come over. We are 55 and 60, and were lucky enough to retire early, we left the UK 7 years ago, spending the first 3 years in Turkey, then residency permit rules changed, and we couldn't be bothered jumping through yet more hoops, though we do regret that, so we moved to North Cyprus, purely because our cash was in Turkish Lira at the time. Turkish Lira now more or less spent, and times are changing we are now moving on. I will be sad to leave as I have become quite involved with the community, I feel it's important to learn at least some of the language of the country you live in, so I spent a fair amount of time with my Turkish Cypriot neighbours, I also help out at the local after school, helping the rather loud children with their English, plus it improves my Turkish, and I do voluntary work at a charity shop, do body pump ( google it if you don't know what it is) twice a week. Anthony and me love taking our dog on long forest and beach walks, and we love our holidays, the real reason we finished work, it interfered with our travels :lolno: Anthony is into his guitar, and Manchester City :crazy: We are not into sitting in a bar, but do like to eat out a couple of times a week. I could go on, but I won't . I think I have probably bored everyone to death.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:02 am

Welcome to the forum. Have a look at Axarquia region, its the best climate in Europe. One other thing, we do not need anymore City fans down here. HA HA

Suecheshireuk
Tourist

Postby Suecheshireuk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Costa kid, thanks for that, I have made a note of it, and I will try to lose the City shirts........ :lol:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 am

Nerja is a bit touristy but nice to visit but I would never live there. Torrox costa is busy all year and Rincon Del La Victoria is a proper working town with everything you need. Also that part of the coast is very convenient for Malaga city.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Welcome to the forum, Sue.

If you want to be on the coast, have a look at Almuñécar on the Costa Tropical. I would say probably everywhere on the coast heaves with tourists in the Summer but a lovely town like Almuñécar is probably worth it, a beautiful place to live for most of the year, I would think.

We actually live in what would probably be your ideal place in terms of most of your requirements.........except that it is a 20 minutes or so drive to our nearest coastal town, Torre del Mar. If you change your mind and fancy a 'pueblo blanco' in the mountains, check out Canillas de Aceituno, we love it here.

Suecheshireuk
Tourist

Postby Suecheshireuk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:27 am

Hi Costa kid and Irene D, I said I have never visited Andalucia... but, I have, I didn't give it a thought that I have visiited Nerja, as you say Coasta kid, nice to visit, we did like it there, but not to live. After our visit in March, we will look to book flights to the Malaga area, I haven't looked at a map, but if it's easy to drive there from where we are basing ourselves, then we will do that. Irene I have made a note of your suggestions, and thank you for the welcome. We are happy living inland, in a village. At the moment we live up a big hill, but we are on the flat up here, and we have minimarkets, post office, council office, diy shop bars and restaurants, and we love the place.... it's a location, location location comment, I love the house (and village) and want to take it out of Norht Cyprus and put it somehere else.
I need to add, our budget is £100,000, so happy to do some diy, and live in a location that is cheap and cheerful .
Thanks for the replies.

Suecheshireuk
Tourist

Postby Suecheshireuk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:35 am

Hi, just an update. The search area has now been narrowed down to within an hours drive of Malaga airport. We are bringing our rescue dog with us, and Turkish Airlines are the only carrier that can do this, and it looks as though Malaga is the shortest route, others have two stops, and we don't want her traumatised any more than she already will be. Thanks Sue.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Sue, One hours drive from Malaga covers a very large area, bordering where we live near Loja.
You may need to narrow your search more, but I do recommend that you look at the inland towns and villages, some great places and £100,000 is now quite a good budget , lots of ready restored or modern property available in this price bracket.

Regards,
Gordon.

Suecheshireuk
Tourist

Postby Suecheshireuk » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:48 am

Oh thanks for that Gordon, yes, we definitely prefer inland, but not isolated, and we want character in a place, so will continue our search, though suggestions on villages to search are very welcome, we checked out Rincon de Victoria, but we ( Anthony) couldn't find any properties at all, also looking at a couple of other places suggested. We don't want to be too close to neighbours, or should I say they won't want be too close to us, Anthony spends alot of time on his guitar :think:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:50 pm

You're looking for a detached house, then, Sue? The inland villages, such as ours, are composed of attached townhouses, as far as I know - adosados.

Campo villas can be quite isolated, although of course you might find one within walking distance of a village. Not being too close to neighbours but not isolated will be a bit more of a challenge, I think :)

Suecheshireuk
Tourist

Postby Suecheshireuk » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Thanks Irene, yes , I rather suspect it is going to be a challenge, as we have our dream home here in Cyprus, but now due to over development, it's in the wrong area, which can happen anywhere. I guess we will have to take our time in searching. There is no rush. We arrive in Alicante, and departing from Malaga now, in March, and it will be the perfect excuse to keep returning until we find the place for us. :lolno:

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:20 pm

lecrin valley?? just over an hour from Malaga but ideal for Granada and still only 30mins from the coast. lots of villages with houses of character of any size and type to suit any budget

Suecheshireuk
Tourist

Postby Suecheshireuk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks Flashman, that is now added to our list, we have 10 days over there next year to do some exploring .

Suecheshireuk
Tourist

Postby Suecheshireuk » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:41 pm

I checked out Lecin valley, but it looks as though there is quite alot of rain in winter. Rain is something we don't do.... we had some pretty grim days when we lived in Turkey.... it would rain for two days at a time in winter. Yes, it looks lovely and lush, but.... :(

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

Although we are in a drought at the moment it does rain here in Andalucia and it can be stormy and cold too. It can snow just inland (we've had snow flurries and we are only about 5kms in from the sea).

For the last few winters in the east of the province we've not had that much rain but there was flooding last month in other parts and we have lived here through some very wet winters in the past. As it's quite mountainous every valley seems to have it's own weather pattern so it's difficult to predict, but Andalucia is not completely dry (and can be very cold). if you did move here then I would suggest renting first to really get to know the area and climate.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:49 am

Agree Wicksey but on the coast it never really drops below 6 degrees although in some houses it feels colder in than out. Our friends lived in a cow shed barn conversion 100 metres from the sea in La Rabita and it was warmer outside in January. It was the coldest house i have ever been in.

Obviousley rain is very welcome now but we don’t seem to get that many days where it is constant rain.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Yep, you are right. It rains everywhere practically in Andalucia. And yes often colder inside than out in old village houses

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:35 pm

It doesnt rain much but when it rains boy does it rain. And something we never thought of before moving is the difference between inland and the coast interms of temps in the summer and winter and how much colder/hotter it can be inland in the winter and summer.Defo agree with above and rent first