Day trip to Sierra Nevada

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Day trip to Sierra Nevada

Postby Ricasso » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:03 am

I want to go the the Sierra Nevada for the day to hopefully see some snow and check it out the resort. I have two dogs and Spain being Spain.., can anyone recommend somewhere dog-friendly that would be good to see the sights and walk the dogs and maybe get a bite to eat (with dogs??).. in a day?

many thanks :-)
Ricasso,
Axarquía

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Day trip to Sierra Nevada

Postby elusive » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am

The town/resort is only very small.theres a main square with restaurants etc and you can see the slopes from there as they come right down into the town

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:36 am

Just remember that if your not in 4x4 you really should have snow chains. The police often check if there is a big dump of snow.

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:49 am

So there's only one main town up there? 4x4 it is then. Thanks both..
Ricasso,
Axarquía

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:07 pm

Pradallano is the main town. You can drive behind the resort and go even higher. We normally go up to where they block the road and walk up to the monument then have lunch at the top.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:09 pm

PS, We went up in October and it was 18 on the coast and 3 degrees in the ski resort. Nice and bright but bloody cold.

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Sounds great! We'll give it a try. I love Las Alpujarras and been itching to go higher!
No fear of 18º today!!
Ricasso,
Axarquía

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:37 pm

Definitely take your snow chains if you are going this week !! As to the dogs - you will find that in most of Andalucia dogs are welcome especially if well-behaved, BUT only on the outside terrace ... I believe by law they are not allowed inside, though there is often an exception made for a Yorkie in a bag ... but a normal sized dog on its own 4 feet will normally only be accepted on the terrace. At current temperatures up there, you will probably want to have lunch INSIDE !!!! Could they stay in the car for the hour or so you would be at lunch?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:41 am

Hi,
Maybe of interest.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA

The other evening some of the main roads round my area closed for all but cars with either Chains or Winter tyres. Civil Protection and Police out enforcing.

Also checkout the DGT site..............

http://infocar.dgt.es/etraffic/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks Gasman. I have German 'All year' tyres on my car (couldn't be bothered to keep changing twice a year) - I think I'll give it a miss this year. Planing to get a 4 x 4 soon. Maybe next year.. Thanks for the Vids Enrique. They are interesting.
Ricasso,
Axarquía

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 pm

we drive up regularly to ski/snowboard using standard tyres and hire car. they usually keep the road clear as far the pradollano (the resort) but chains needed beyond there if the weather has been bad (or good depending on you perspective)

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 am

That's encouraging Flashman (interesting name), I think we'll do that. We just want to see the landscape in the winter really. Thanks for the update..
Ricasso,
Axarquía

suzyq
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby suzyq » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 am

Very easy for day trip or even half day skiing. Huge underground car park with exits to central square with hire shops ,restaurants and ski lifts. The skiing is very good and non skiers can take gondola lift to mid areas with fantastic views and excellent ski restaurants. Never needed chains to access underground car park at resort level but would need chains to drive I to upper areas. Worth trying a day trip but lots of good hotels if deciding on a longer visit. Definitely worth a visit but check weather before travelling. If high winds lifts will be closed and no fun if raining . Generally sunny with lots of snow well maintained on marked piste.