Pitch up a tent

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
john the baptist
Resident

Pitch up a tent

Postby john the baptist » Mon May 14, 2018 12:40 pm

HI is it actually legal to put up a tent in the campo in andalucia for a quick over night rest, Im not talking about using gas or starting a fire but in the spirit of "easy rider" can you ride out on a motorbike and sleep under the stars???

its a real question, i know sleeping on the beach is illegal and some campsite by the time you pay for everything thing its about as much as a hostel room. I looking a taking off for a month and heading north riding to the basque country to galician and doing a circuit of spain, but i can afford tp spend 40e a nigth as i need to do this on the cheap.

im on two wheels so can sleep in the car. are there any specific areas where puting up a tent is free??????

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pitch up a tent

Postby costakid » Mon May 14, 2018 4:59 pm

Some friends from the UK went on a tour of Spain 3 years on the trot on there Harley Ds and did exactly what you are thinking of. Never had a problem with anyone official. I would say be careful with a stove or fire as this can be dangerous. The cafes and bars are cheap enough so you shouldn’t need to cook.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue May 15, 2018 10:32 am

To emphasise Costas comment - BBQs and open fires, sparks of any kind including little petrol or gas stoves, are strictly forbidden from mid May to Med September in anything vaguely like a forest or woodland ...don't risk it.
I would think for overnight stops a small tent will not attract much attention but chose your spot wisely. Probably better not to linger and overstay, and do watch out for livestock if you are tempted by the corner of a field !!!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue May 15, 2018 11:35 am

John,
Apart from the valid comments already mentioned, may I suggest that you have also to consider your personal safety, particularly if you are travelling alone.
You do run the risk of being robbed, shot for trespassing etc.,I don't want to spoil your dream of staring at the stars etc., I'm just bringing the dangers to your attention...

If you plan and book ahead you can stay cheaply at recognised camp sites or cheap B & B ,Hostals, Hotels, but remember that most of these establishments don't have many single rooms so advanced booking is important.
I hope that you have a good time ..without mishap. :wave:

I've only had one journey through Spain, sleeping rough, it was a very long time ago..but put me off ..for life.
One night while sleeping under some trees I woke up to find a huge black pig nibbling my foot....but I suppose it could have been worse... :shock: :oops:

Regards,
Gordon

Craig Jamieson
Tourist

Postby Craig Jamieson » Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 pm

I "wild" camp during 3 to 5 day hikes in the campo and have never had a problem, not even on the edge of towns or villages. In fact, people have been very helpful if somewhat bemused. What's the worst that can happen? You may be asked to move on, so....move on.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Fri May 18, 2018 5:36 pm

thanks everyone

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat May 19, 2018 11:22 am

Also some bylaws prohibiting this are outdated. For example, in Scotland for many years we had 'No Overnight Stay' on all our laybyes to prevent gypsy camps outstaying their welcome. But a couple of years ago, a foreigner on camping trip challenged this. He won and all the notices have been withdrawn. So go ahead and challenge if you are questioned.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Challenge the Guardia - are you serious? This is not Scotland!

Sid

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Mon May 21, 2018 7:09 pm

aye right enough

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:10 am

As usual people are being unduely negative.

Pitching a tent for an overnight stay is perfectly legal in Spain. It's called bivouacing and is considered acceptable, provided u move on the next day. Tent should not be erected until 19hrs and removed by 07hrs. Or simply, put tent up when getting dark, leave at sunrise.

I've been doing it for years. I've even camped on the side of busy roads and in the middle of roundabouts.

Discretion is required. Don't leave rubbish. Don't camp on clearly fenced in private land, nor cultivated land, etc.

And now for the interesting bit...........when spaniards refer to camping, they mean motorhomes, caravans, trailers, the kitchen sink, erecting temporary fences around their space, etc. It has nothing to do with people with tents.
Camping with a tent, is for poor people, students, homeless. "oh, how sad they can't afford a motorhome". That's the spanish view.
They'll also be wary that u might be a thief or an illegal immigrant!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu May 31, 2018 4:25 pm

You will get info on www.andalucia.com website