We Came To Andalucia. May 2018

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

We Came To Andalucia. May 2018

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun May 27, 2018 12:43 pm

Here’s a little write up of our recent trip to Andalucia.
We split our time between Malaga City, Estepona and La Carihuela (between Torremolinos and Benalmadena Puerto)

Malaga

Although we’ve been coming to the CDS on a regular basis since 1986, and have popped into Malaga a few times and had a day there as a stop on a cruise, we’ve never actually stayed the night. I appreciate not everyone has the time, but if you are having a holiday somewhere along the coast, I recommend you tag on a few days either end in Malaga. It’s a lovely place.

I did a lot of research before we left and my chums on Trip Advisor were very helpful. Thanks to you all.
So this is how it all panned out.......

Monday 30 th. April.

We had a lunch time flight from the UK midlands and were at AGP about 4pm. I’d prebooked/paid for a transfer with skyscannerairporttransfers. It cost less than £15.00.
The friendly driver was there to meet us. There were four bottles of water in the Merc.
We had secured lodgings at The Budget Hotel Ibis Centro, and were soon there. This is a very cheap place in a good location just over the river from the old town, by the Tetuan Bridge. Tip.... ask for a room on the top floor where you get good views. As with all Ibis budget hotels the room is tiny, but clean and perfectly adequate if all you want to do is sleep there. The staff are lovely and there is a little area where you can have a very nice breakfast for Eu5. Next time we will pay a bit more for a slightly better place as at our age (70) we are finding we need to rest up a bit.
After freshening up we took the short walk to the lovely Plaza de La Constitution, and had a beer at Cafe Central. I’d telephoned from uk to Meson de Cervantes to book a table. Good job as they were very busy. Great atmosphere and very nice meal at a reasonable price. After the meal we took a slow walk back along Calle Carreteria. We stopped for coffee and brandy at Restaurant Barbacana which a TA member had recommended as a good value eatery. It was a nice little place. The football was on and I managed to have a conversation with the young fella serving. After that we were bushed so we went back to the Ibis for bed.

Tuesday.

Day dawned bright and sunny. Breakfast in the hotel. Good. Plenty of pastries, cheese, ham, juice, cereal, yoghurt, coffee, hot chocolate etc. Took the short walk over the bridge to Museo Popular Artes. Forgetting it was May Day we found it was closed. Plan B...Headed for Plaza de Constitution, passing a beautiful church. The facade had recently been cleaned. Got chatting with an English guy carrying a guitar on his back. He told me about the open mic at the Shakespeare pub on Wednesdays and Fridays. See later. Managed to find the Glass and Crystal Museum. Luckily it was open. This is a brilliant place. We were lucky to be shown round by the owner. A charming, witty man full of anecdotes. It’s not just glass and crystal. There’s furniture, paintings, porcelain, silver and much more. The building itself is beautiful. I think we were in there nearly two hours.
Walked down to Plaza Merced. Had lunch at a place with a big yellow awning with “tapas” on it. Very good. The square was very lively with lots of stalls.
Next stop was the Cathederal. Magnificent. Luckily we didn’t pay to go up to the roof as there was a terrific thunderstorm shortly after we entered. The ticket included entrance to the next door Palacio Episcopal but we were too tired to visit and went back to the hotel to rest. The great thing about Malaga is that it’s compact and pretty flat.
For the evening, we had arranged to meet old friends Tarquin and Mellisa. I was at College with Tarquin in the late 60s. Because he’s spent most of his working life on Civil Engineering Projects all around the world we haven’t seen much of each other. A few years ago they bought a ruined property overlooking Lake Vinuela. They have turned it into a magnificent country house. We’ve stayed there. It’s fab. They did the 45min drive and we met up in Plaza de La Marina. First stop was one of the oldest bars in Malaga on Alemada Principal. ( I forgot to say part of Alemada is been dug up for an underground railway.... the sort of thing Tarquin used to do) This bar sold Malaga wine from the barrel. They write your bill on the bar with chalk. I love that sweet wine. Then we moved on to a tapas place called La Taberna de Pintxo Larios. The tapas have different cocktail sticks depending on the price. When you pay they just add up the sticks. Very tasty.
Our final stop for our main meal was Batik, in Calle Alcazabilla, overlooking the Alcazaba. It’s on the fourth floor. It was recommended by a TA member. Unfortunately we were too early and they weren’t set up. So we abandoned the idea and went to a place next door to El Pimpi. My meal was fine but I think the others were a bit disappointed. I think it was called Plaza. The Alcazaba was all lit up and looked very atmospheric.
Then it was time to say goodby to our friends. We are hoping to have a college reunion next year in London as It’s 50 years since we graduated. So we will see them then if not before.
We returned to the hotel, tired but happy.

Wednesday.

Bright and Sunny. Walked over Tetuan Bridge to the Market. Fantastic place bustling with shoppers and traders. Beautiful displays of goods. We intended to breakfast there. There were several cafes but you couldn’t sit. You had to go outside and sit on high stools. My stumpy little legs would have struggled so we went to the San Martin Restaurant next door, which was fine. Walked Via Constitution to Ars Malaga which we had paid for with our Cathederal Ticket. Went in but were underwhelmed with the display. In need of a coffee, we chose L’Experience in Plaza del Osbispo. Has one of the best city views as it faces right onto the facade of the Cathederal. The staff were nice and even attempted to clean up the chocolate sauce I inevitably spilt down my shirt.
I had intended to lunch at the Real Club Mediteraneo. Benny (TA Member) had recommended this. They do a very reasonably priced lunch. The Crem de la Crem of Malaga Society dine there apparently. However we wern’t very hungry so after walking along the lovely Palmeral de Las Sorpresas, we hopped on the little tren (3Eu) which took us right to the end of the jetty. We got off at Malaguetta beach on the way back and relaxed for a while. Picked up the tren again. Started making our way home. We had previously tried to go up onto the roof of the AC Palacio, but they wanted 8 Eu and we were too tight fisted for that so we crossed the road to Hotel Molina Lario. They were happy to let us go up to the bar and pool. You get terrific views of the Cathederal and the port. Back to the hotel for a rest. For our evening meal we went back to St Martin by the market. OH’s meal was fine, but I made the mistake of ordering a Paella. Fridura(?). I think they are pre prepared and just micro waved up.
OH was knackered when we got back to the hotel. However I was ok so I walked up the river, crossed it and managed to find The Shakespeare Pub, for the open mic. This is a lovely friendly bar. Pete runs it. The Friday night is amplified but the Wednesday is unplugged, which is hard for my feeble voice. After the football finished Pete open up with a couple of well crafted self penned songs. He is a fine singer/guitarist. Thankfully the crowd didn’t chat during the songs. My turn. I attempted to speak in Spanish. Until 10 years ago my technique was to shout, wave my arms about and put “O” on the end of everything. Then I studied the course 16 year olds do, and amazingly passed. I said. “hola amigos. Me llamo Ricardo. Soy de Inglatera. Vivo cerca de Stratford on Avon. ( there were photos on the wall of Shakespeare and Stratford). Porque tengo setentas anos, me gusta mucha la musica de los grupos de las sesentas, en particular Los Beatles”. They seemed to understand.
I did Girl of my Best Friend (Elvis) and Little Help from my Friends (Beatles) There was time to go round a second time and I did Don’t let me be misunderstood (Animals).
The other performers were great in particular Shane Gonzales, an American Flamenco guitarist who was brilliant. He runs a nearby venue which does Flamenco Gigs four nights a week. Called K?????? De Arte Flamenca. Gets good TA reviews. Then the night was over. I shook hands with all the performers. There is a bond between musicians. If you are in Malaga I recommend this pub.

Thursday

Sadly it was time to leave Malaga. We would have liked an extra couple of days but we were commited to two dates at home which prevented this. After breakfast at the hotel they called a taxi for us. I asked how long it would be. They said about 4 metres. I liked that.
Driver dropped us at the bus station and we got the 10.30 express to Estepona for the next stage of our holiday.

We think Malaga is great. Everyone was so....... nice. We could have easily spent a week there. I’ve no doubt we will return

Estepona

We, (couple about 70) have been to Estepona many times and keep coming back because it is lovely.

Thursday 3rd May

We left Malaga bus station on the 10.30 express bus, which only stopped at one other stop, Marbella. We had the two front seats. They were leather recliners with lots of room and we had a fab view up the road. On arrival at Estepona Bus Station I rang our accommodation to tell them we were on our way (no 24hr reception) . We had secured lodgings at The Miguel Angel Appts. We’ve stayed there before. They are in a good position just to the west of the old town, one street back from Av. Juan Carlos. 5 min walk to the beach. A 6 Eu taxi ride got us there. Maria showed us into the flat which was on the 4th floor. We’d booked a two bed one bath, but were given a three bed two bath. The smallest bedroom was locked but we had the second bathroom. Nice view from our bedroom to Mt Reales and up the wide pedestrian street which goes up the hill to the port area from the lounge. Balconies big enough to eat on.
After unpacking we walked round the corner to the Carrefour to stock up on a few essentials.
Took a stroll along the paseo , up Calle Terraza and sat in the newly remodled Plaza Antonia Guerro (egg square) for coffee. The domed bandstand is gone and there is a much needed car park below. Took a slow stroll back to the flat and ate in. Estepona is constantly being upgraded with projects. There’s a new hospital nearly ready.

Friday.

Walked to the bus station to check timetable for our onward journey to Torremolinos. Crossed over to Carrefour for coffee and a bit of shopping. We (OH in particular) like wandering round Carrefour. We bought one of their roasted chickens. There was a choice... normal for 6 Eu or ones that had been fed exclusivly on Maize for 9. We chose the former. We jumped on the L1 bus, thinking it would take us along the seafront back to the flat. Instead it took us the long way round to the western boundary of Estepona then back via the port. I recommend anyone new to Estepona do a full circuit of the L1 and L2 bus routes to get your bearings. It’s cheap if you pay the driver. Even cheaper if you buy a 3Eu card off the driver and load it with say 5Eu. More than one person can use it. Had a light lunch in the flat. Then the heavens opened so we stayed in and watched TV. Unfortunately we don’t speak German.
As I am a lover of Flamenco I was glad that our visit coincided with the fortnightly gig at the Pena Flamenca. This isn’t aimed at the tourist market and is of a very high standard. OH doesn’t really like it, but came along to keep an eye on me. 12 Eu entrance. They do nice food and the drinks are reasonable.
I’m no expert and allthough the lady dancer was outstanding, I thought the man was so-so. The guitarist was incredible. I can do without the singing to be honest.

Saturday.

When we booked, we weren’t sure when the Cruces de Mayo Fiesta was. Luckily it was today. About ten of the Barrios decorate their Plazas very attractively and from mid day till late there is music, dance and food. It’s fab. We did a little tour round the nearby ones. On the way we called in the Boutique Hotel Veracruz, as we thought we might stay there one day. One of the staff kindly showed us round. It’s very nice. We started off in the square next to Antonia Guerro. Some girl’s dance troupes gave excellent displays. Then we moved on to a new plaza dedicated to Poets. They have about a dozen busts. Very peaceful. We walked back to the flat for a rest, then came out again about 4.30 for more entertainment in Pazas Begine and Pozo de las Palos. We finished up the night with a concert by the Estepona Municipal band in Plaza Reloj. The band were excellent but I think the square is rather soul less.
Turned in early.

Sunday.

We’d arranged to meet up with the Estepona DE, Turista-inglesa and her husband. We took a taxi to their appt. above the port. Lovely place. She had a key to the next door Puerto Alto development which we were interested in renting at. Very nice but not for us. The three of us then had a wander round the port market. Always a pleasant experience. We intended to get a taxi up to The Romeria in Predregales park, but were too knackered, had lunch in, rested then walked back into town. Plaza de Las Florres is slightly dishevelled because two much needed hotels are under construction. So we went to the next door Plaza Dr. Arce and had some fab bowls of ice cream .

Monday.

We were up early to get the 0915 no.79 bus to San Pedro. This was so we could get the 1045 bus up to Ronda. We’ve been up to Ronda several times but always as a driver, so it was great to be able to look at the magnificent scenery.
Once there we walked the park which overlooks the valley. Can’t think of a nicer place to have a picnic. We’ve been round the Bull Ring before so gave it a miss. (I’m very opposed to Bullfighting BTW). There was a little open sided 10 seater vehicle waiting outside the tourist office. So we jumped on for the 90 min tour. They took us to the cathederal, down into the wildflower strewn valley for a view of the bridge, back up to the old town gates, down to The arab baths and back to the tourist office. I thought Eu12 was a bit expensive, but then what do I know about the economics of running a tourist facility. There was time for us to visit the excellent Museo Lara, just over the bridge. This is full of interesting artifacts collected by one man. The down stairs is devoted to the inquisition and witch craft. I wouldn’t recommend taking young kids down there. Now it was time to walk back to the bus station for the 4.30 bus back.
Back in San Pedro we walked up the main street to church Square and had a very nice meal at the fairly new El Vecino Restaurant. Got the 79 back home.

Tuesday. (our last day)

OH wasn’t feeing very well so I walked around town calling in at estate agents getting info on alternative rentals for next time. In Calle Real a jazz duo were busking. Clarinet and guitar. The Guitarist had an orange Gretch with Bigsby Trem. After listening to their excellent playing for a while we had a chat and they said they played Thursday to Sunday at the new Erik’s Jazz Cafe. This is next door but one to The Mediteraneo Hotel, where we stayed last time.
During the afternoon we packed. Late afternoon OH felt better so we walked back to Erik’s for Coffee and Cake. Just as we got there a terrific thunderstorm broke. The lightning was hitting the sea spectacularly. The owner is from South America and was very hospitable. We will eat and watch the duo next visit.

Wednesday.

Sadly our time in Estepona was over. We rang a taxi to get back to the bus station. I asked how long it would be. They said about 3.50 metres. I liked that. Turista had previously asked what bus we were getting (10.15). Lo and behold she turned up to see us off and gave us a nice bottle of blush. We are meeting up in uk in next month for a curry..

So that was it, Estepona. It’s as lovely as ever. The council are doing a great job. Lots of new Murals. The old municipal market is being converted into a gourmet boutique something poncy or other. All we need now is a few more central hotels and a connection to the railway, which currently terminates at Fuengirola. I think it is due to be completed next year. (The Railway, that is)
BTW it looks like we didn’t eat out much. But I haven’t included the numerous stops all over the place for drinks, cakes and people watching.

We only had six nights which gave us five clear days. I would have liked two more days in each of the three locations.

La Carihuela

We had heard good things about LC, so last year we made a day trip from Estepona to check it out. We liked what we saw, although the walk, on a very hot day, from Torre bus station, down the steps, right along the passeo, round the head land all the way to The Ecuador Appts (which had been recommended) nearly led to divorce proceedings being instigated

Here’s how it all worked out.....

Wednesday

We’ve not hired a car this holiday and it’s been great to be able to look around as we travel. The bus network is excellent and cheap, and the journey from Estepona was great. Arrived at Torre, bought a bonocard at the office for future use and got a cab to our accommodation for the next six nights. We’d secured lodgings at The Carihuela Park Palace Appartements. They have an interesting history. One of the first hotels opened in the area in 1960. Three additional blocks were later built. Eventually the complex was converted into S/C appartements. The foyer still has the old reception desk and pidgeon holes for the keys. It’s a little dated and worn at the edges, but so are we, so we fitted in well. Nice grounds, pool, kids playground, friendly bar restaurant.
Jo, our agent, met us at the gate on Calle Miami. There’s another entrance on the main road, Av Carlota Alessandri (the lady who helped get tourism off the ground in the 50s). The studio was on the 5th (top) floor of the original block and had great views of the village and the sea. We were well please with it.
After unpacking we walked down to The Village, picked up a few essentials.
There was a lovely atmosphere on The Passeo. Relaxed at the flat and ate at the complex restaurant. Nice menu of the day at Eu7.50.

Thursday.

Took a slow walk along the passeo to The Marina, stopping at Fragatta for coffee and cake. I was impressed with the architecture of the Marina. For lunch we chose Fashion, which is opposite Burger King. Nice meal in a friendly place. Started to walk back and sat by the stream which is the border between Torre and Benal. There were a couple of ducks looking after their chicks. We realised we’d struggle to walk back, so we walked up to Calle Salvadore Allende, back of the Sol House, and picked up the L1 bus. This takes a very windy route in a clockwise circle back to Torre Terminus. So it gave us chance to get our bearings. We had to get off at the terminus and reboard the next bus which dropped us back at the Miami gate.
For the evening OH stayed in and I went to Mojito Bar, far end of Calle Bulto. They have music every night but Tuesday. Tonite it was the excellent singer Ben, who ran thru a string of classics on guitar. He had a machine which made him sound like a full band and gave harmony vocals. He started at 9.30 and I hoped he would have a break so I could ask if I could do a couple, but he went on non stop and was still groovin’ when I left at 1130.

Friday

We took the 112 or 121 bus from the stop opposite the flat up to Mijas. Lovely journey, passing thru Aroyo de La Miel and Benalmadena Pueblo. It’s a long time since we’ve been up there. Pretty as ever and immaculately tidy. Had a good walk round the village using the map provided by the tourist office. Eventualy our little legs gave out and we hopped on the bus back. It was pretty full. We were going to stop of at Benalmadena Pueblo for a look round, but decided to save that for another time. Back at CPP attempted a swim but the water was too cold. Had a meal in, then wandered along the passeo for ice creams, coffee and brandy.

Saturday

Got the bus into Torre. Mistakenly got on a very full Malaga bound bus, not realising it didn’t stop at Torre Terminus. Realised we were by passing Torre, and attempted to get off when the bus stopped. Couldn’t get to the exit in time and the doors closed. Much shouting of Arriba, Arriba, by the passengers and we managed to alight. We were aiming for the Casa de los Navajas. I miss read the map and thought it was on the high level of town, when in fact it’s more or less at beach level. Still it was an interesting walk through town. It’s a beautiful place. There isn’t much of historical value in Torre. This house was built in 1925 by a weathy Malagueno who had made a fortune in the sugar trade, when Torre hardly existed. A few years ago it was derelict The Ayuntamiento have restored it beautifully. It’s well worth a visit. It was a short walk down to the Passeo . Turned left towards Los Alamos. Found somewhere nice for coffee. Picked up the L2 bus and went to the end of the line. Got off and had drinks at Chiringuito Familiar. Picked up the bus again for the return journey. The landscape here is different to Carihuela... more open and flat. At one point we drove along Calle Pontinental. This was where Fred Pontin ( of Pontin’s Holiday Camps.... Hi de Hi!.....) built one of his first overseas hotels, enabling ordinary brits to take their first holiday abroard. Eventualy got home for a rest. We had earmarked a visit to The Mad Monk to see the Villa- Middlesboro match. (I’m a Villa Nut). Lay down for a doze and only woke with just enough time to get there. OH was comatose, so after consulting with the lady next door,I decided to leave her sleeping (I value my testicles) and made my way there.
She eventually got there at half time. We had a typical pub grub meal and watched the game. Villa won 1-0. The goal proved vital as the second leg at Villa Park was goaless. I was at Wembley yesterday for the final. Great day out. Unfortunately no one told Fulham we were supposed to win. Still it’s been a good season. Steve, a TA regular and Crystal Palace supporter walked up from his hotel to meet me. Nice to meet him. Finished off the night drinking on the Passeo people watching.

Sunday

OH had a lie in then spent the morning packing. I took a stroll along the passeo, round the headland, and almost to the steps. Had a nice coffee at Banana Beach Club. They were playing Abba’s greatest hits. By heck, they were a great band. Rendevoued with OH in the little plaza on the beach front by Pedros. Had our lunch at 274 and Co just by Mojitos. Brilliant 6 Tapas and a cana for 7.50
There was a Ruta de Rock in the area with dozens of bands performing all over the place and we went to see a reggae band at El Horno. They were supposed to start at 5, but nothing seemed to be happening. At about 6.15 I noticed they were sitting on the beach, smoking, a far away look in their eyes. I went over and asked what time they were kicking off. They said “about 6, man ”. Groovy. Eventualy they started and were quite good. Got chatting with a nice irish couple John and Charlotte. Talked about the approaching referendum on abortion. The will be devestated by the result. The lady thought the present system was fine as it provided a supply of babies for childless couples.
Back at CPP there was a bit of a party going on. Every Sunday the substantial dutch contingent get together and have a knees up in the on site restaurant. The music was so funny. Guy with backing tracks doing singalong stuff with lots of arm waving. Fabulous. We had our meal there.

Monday.

OH was ill with a chest infection. Her immune system is low and she picks up infections easily. So I left her in bed and walked west along the passeo. Went into the iconic Pez Espada for a look around. Gallery of the famous people who have stayed there. The reception said it was ok for the public to come into the evening shows, so that’s one for next time. Got the L1 up to Battery Park. This is a lovely place overlooking the CPP. There was a school party from Poland visiting. Very well behaved kids. Got chatting with one of the parent helpers. She was anxious to tell me that in Poland some people are claiming that it wasn’t the Germans who set up the death camps in Poland, but the Poles themselves. It is now a criminal offence to say this. Walked down to the flat. Wouldn’t fancy walking up though.
On the night we had a meal at La Tahona. It was excellent. Located at a cross roads. They have outlets on three corners. The waiters in their burghundy polos and black trousers, were working very hard. After the meal we moved on to Mojito to see Stelvis, an Elvis Trib act. He did a terrific two hour show. We sat with some mature ladies from Burnley. (82 years old one of them). They were up and rockin’ with the rest. Had to have a word with some rather loud people who were more or less screaming at each other, while Elvis was trying to do American Trilogy. I can’t see the point in going if you’re just going to ignore the act and spoil it for the others.

Tuesday.

Time to go home. Had a lazy morning and lunch at the bar. Rang for a Taxi. Asked how long it would be. The said 5 minutes, as they always do. Taxi took us to the airport. Flight uneventful. While we were in the air the match at Villa Park kicked off. Got home in time to see the second half. Finished 0-0. So the two legs went our way, and we got to the final at Wembley.

So that was our holiday in La Carihuela. We really like the place.
We have already booked a return visit for October. We couldn’t get the studio from this time but luckily one of the contacts I gathered came up with two studios we will split our time in.
We will precede this stay with six nights in Nerja. How we got the Nerja Flat.... A few months ago while stationary in a car park, I flung open my car door, not realising a cyclist was passing at speed. Thankfully he reacted quickly, narrowly avoiding a nasty collision. He came back and accepted my appologies. Turned out he owned one of the coffee shops in our town. He invited me to drop in for a coffee sometime. I did, and noticed a brochure for a holiday home in Nerja on the table. It was his and we booked it. Funny how things turn out, isn’t it.

So here we are in England, looking forward to coming back in October

Hasta Luego

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: We Came To Andalucia. May 2018

Postby olive » Sun May 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Excellent. You clearly do a lot of research.

Dont worry about the flamenco singing. You just havent got duende.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun May 27, 2018 4:21 pm

Yes, thank you for that excellent piece. You have given me lots of info for future hols.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun May 27, 2018 5:04 pm

Olive.

I looked Duende up.

Literally Elf.

But in this context it seems to be the concept of art in any form being able to stir an emotion. I do have it. I think most people do. I'm a musician ( of sorts) myself and can easily be brought to tears by an evocative piece.
In the case of Flamenco singing not being able to understand the lyrics doesn't help, though it's obvious to anyone the feeling the singer is putting into the song.
I just don't like the actual sound very much.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun May 27, 2018 5:05 pm

Maureen. What part of Andalucia do you like to visit.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Ronda, Malaga, Antequera, Cordoba, Seville, not been to Cadiz yet. Pruna, Olvera, Teba, El chorro. Loads of places, love Andalucia. Never been to Granada district or Jaen, Loads of places still to see.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun May 27, 2018 11:51 pm

What a fantastic account of your holiday, i was just telling my daughter how enjoyable it was to read, i'm sure you will like Nerja as we do...Yippee we are off there tomorrow..
Maureen is right, there are loads of places to see.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon May 28, 2018 10:32 am

Enjoy your trip to Nerja.
I have already started planning our trip.
I use Tripadvisor an awful lot.
My nom de plume on there is Trickster9

We are staying in the Coronado Appts on Calle Huerta. Do you know them?

I would be grateful for any tips on Nerja as well.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 am

Maureen... I've never heard of some of those places. You certainly get around.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon May 28, 2018 11:38 am

Interesting, you certainly had a full week. I use TA a lot but you have to read between the lines re. places to eat, many are obviously false reviews. Booking.com is better for hotels as you have to have stayed to do a review.

Have you got anything on youtube of you performing?

I think Jaen is lovely, we used to go to their music festival every year, mainly into classical but there is something for all tastes. Did you know i can dance flamenco, well not the proper, just sevllanos ha ha.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:36 pm

Richard i dont know the apartments but then there are quite a few of them in Nerja...The weather is nice enough for me today ( just arrived) however its not as warm as it was last year...Dont know whats happened to the weather in Spain this year...very unusual...I think when you are in Nerja perhaps you would enjoy a visit to Frigliana which is very close..no doubt you will have already heard of it...Nerja is compact and there are lots of nice places to enjoy lunch and dinner..The balcon de europa is a fab place to sit and have a drink and people watch, im sure you will love it..
Katy ive not yet been to Jaen, my brother in law who has a delivery business always jokes about Jaen and says whateva you do dont get out of your car because they will take everything, even your trousers...lol...Well good on you having a go at flamenco...my.mother loves it and many years ago she kitted all the girls out in the family with flamenco dresses! Cost her a small fortune but it made her happy...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 28, 2018 1:06 pm

Richard check what dates the Nerja feria is on in October as the feria ground is off C/Huertos. Usually the second week I think in October but depends on how the Saturdays fall.

Pamela we've had the chilliest spring I can remember. Our oranges blossomed almost two months later than usual. I am meeting a friend in Madrid next week and promised her it would be hot, but the forecast for this week is cool and rainy :(

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon May 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Wicksey.... we mis the Feria
Pamela... thanks for the tips
Katy... I'll see if I can find something

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon May 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Katy....
Here's a little song I made up out of my own brain about my hero, John Lennon.

I'm better as part of a five piece 60s covers band. The Vintage Sixties Company.

https://youtu.be/wbrxVjuzW2g

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Mon May 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Here's one with the band I'm in.

Combined age 360 years

https://youtu.be/aJRox7nF5NY

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue May 29, 2018 10:39 am

Malaga is a great city. Big enough but not too big. We love it and spend a lot of time there. My only concern is that with all the cruise ships and the city becoming so popular with tourists the prices will continue to rise. I would say we have had the best years of good food and drink at cheap prices. When we came to Malaga 15 years ago you could still drive up Calle Larios. The city was a dump then but now it is unrecognisable from those days.
Last edited by costakid on Tue May 29, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Agree costakid..it was a dump..i remember having an over night stop over before an early morning flight, we walked over wasteland to get to corte de engles...that was 35yrs ago and wow time has changed it...back then Granada was beautiful and still is..

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Katy..i personally wouldnt rely on booking.com or any website for reviews..done it and wore the tshirt and what they describe as luxury is really pretty crap..

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Wed May 30, 2018 8:44 am

Re Malaga

I remember it from the late 80s. I'd rather have it as it is now. All the work that has been done has to be paid for via the rates and Taxes, so inevitably prices will go up.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed May 30, 2018 1:55 pm

RichardCoeurdeLion wrote:Here's one with the band I'm in.

Combined age 360 years

https://youtu.be/aJRox7nF5NY
Great, rock on Richard :thumbup: