ayamonte/faro

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
wollie
Resident

ayamonte/faro

Postby wollie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 am

I have being told there is an old rustic train service tuns somewhere along this route, it is likely it is all on Portugal side.
Does anyone know of this?

many thanks...

Gasman
Resident

Re: ayamonte/faro

Postby Gasman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:48 pm

Well - some notes and links for you follow.
There is no direct access between Ayamonte and Vila Real San Antonio on the other side of the river estuary apart from the little car/passenger ferry - http://www.infoayamonte.com/index.php/u ... fo/ferries. Or you could go by bus, taxi or drive your own car over the motorway bridge (free) and then follow the first exit to take you to San Antonio to pick up your train in the town. Note that they have finally started the major repairs needed for the motorway bridge, so you may expect some delays there - free flowing on one lane each way last time we went across a few weeks ago.

I have never heard anything about a rustic train route on this route but all Portuguese train stations are worth a visit - nice style of architecture and huge tiled areas on the walls showing historical and local events. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... garve.html

http://www.algarvebus.info/006.htm
Very useful article and with lots of links and info.

https://en.aeroportodefaro.com/trains
Not sure if the airport at Faro is your final destination but this might be of interest to others too ...

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:10 am

Gasman,
This is likely the train that was mentioned as i was told it was slow with fancy tiled stations, this info is on the web links you kindly sent me.
My original plan was to fly to Malaga and return from Faro doing the whole route on public transport, however the flight times not work well.
I will now use car hire, drive to a station and park up, do a few hours on the train stay overnight and return the fallowing day, i may even do this two times in different areas depending if we i like it. Do you happen to know where the more interesting train journey on the route, also which town be nice to stay in? i prefer local rustic local accommodation and food.

Many thanks for your advise...

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:21 pm

Well - start off at Ayamonte, nice town, easily accessible by road and then pleasant down by the Marina, nice cafés and restaurants - if you want a quick trip down to the beach at Isla Canela passing the executive golf course en-route, it is about 10 minutes by car down to the little resort, and an old fishing village next door. Then the little car ferry across the river will avoid the possible problems on the motorway bridge. Again Vila Real de San Antonia is a lovely little town with delightful square in the centre, good restaurants but a bit touristy. Either take the train from there which will take you across the marshes and then the coastal route - most of which you miss on the road - or drive a bit further, navigating out of town to the west on the N125. This road is regrettably the only way from the border to Faro and has been hammered since tolls were put on the motorway, and the tolls have just been increased ... Everyone and his wife and trailor who does not want to pay the tolls uses the N125 and the eastern end has become famous for its potholes, unrepaired bits, lack of signalling, and dodgy use of roundabouts ! If I were you I would take the train to Faro, perhaps working in the odd stop on the way if timing fits in, stay overnight in the old town of Faro, if you can find somewhere suitable, and then take the train back to your car in Vila Real. View the castle and old fishing area at Castel Marim just inland, before the motorway junction - this used to be an island before the river silted it up and the new town of Vila Real was developed, and go back over the bridge (no toll) and view the estuary from above.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:26 pm

BUT - since you are passing, do you want to consider a day trip to the Rio Tinto mines, and its old train, rickety rackety track along the River Rio Tinto, explore the old workings and British "Colonial" area of Minas de Rio Tinto.
https://www.spain.info/en/que-quieres/t ... tinto.html
and from our own Andalucia.com
http://www.andalucia.com/province/huelv ... o/home.htm

Perhaps stay in Ayamonte overnight before embarking on the Portuguese bit?

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:28 am

Gasman,
Thanks so much for your very helpful, i will fallow as this is exactly what i want to do. We will likely do a night in Villa Real, take the train to Faro do a night or two there and return to car. I will also do Rio Tinto and likely do another night around there.

Regards and thanks again....

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:34 am

No problem - have a great trip!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:36 am

Great ideas Gasman. very informative. Years ago since we did the Rio Tinto and Ayamonte is nice. Always seems clean and tidy. May do it again after reading.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:07 pm

:wave: :thumbup:

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Woolie - we had occasion to travel back from Tavira to just past Altura, near Vila Real SA, on the N125 and were delighted to note that they have FINALLY managed to do some excellent resurfacing on the worst bits of road. Cannot vouch for the Tavira to Faro bit, but thought you and others on the forum might like to know that the N125 is by no means as awful a route has it has been until recently!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Gasman thanks for the added info, nothing puts me off as i did a run with a hire car last month about 15km on a rural road last month.
I should not have done but when i realized this i was at the point of no return, it was so bad the car flagged up "no entry" on the dash and
i had to turn and reverse up the hill. I was afraid when returning the car as "no entry" still on i said it came on because of a tormenta...
I may do the route next month if weather good, otherwise in the spring, i prefer smaller roads when i not in a hurry and for shorter distances.

Regards...

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:06 am

Gasman wrote:Well - some notes and links for you follow.
There is no direct access between Ayamonte and Vila Real San Antonio on the other side of the river estuary apart from the little car/passenger ferry - http://www.infoayamonte.com/index.php/u ... fo/ferries. Or you could go by bus, taxi or drive your own car over the motorway bridge (free) and then follow the first exit to take you to San Antonio to pick up your train in the town. Note that they have finally started the major repairs needed for the motorway bridge, so you may expect some delays there - free flowing on one lane each way last time we went across a few weeks ago.

I have never heard anything about a rustic train route on this route but all Portuguese train stations are worth a visit - nice style of architecture and huge tiled areas on the walls showing historical and local events. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... garve.html

http://www.algarvebus.info/006.htm
Very useful article and with lots of links and info.

https://en.aeroportodefaro.com/trains
Not sure if the airport at Faro is your final destination but this might be of interest to others too ...
Gasman,
You seem to pretty informed on Portugal. I was there last week with Spanish hired car and signed up my credit card for tolls.
My question is.
Is my credit card associated with this car registration until i remove same?
Also just out of curiosity, is the Portugal/Spanish bridge toll?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:02 am

If you did you signing up of the credit card in the machine by the border, then you get a slip of paper from the machine confirming the details and also shows clearly that it is valid for a month ... thereafter you have to do it all again. This is a system for foreign cars entering portugal, and the camera at the machine, and the cameras on the gantries you pass under, identify the reg. number linked to the credit card for payment.
With the hire car, your credit card/hire-card company is working on the little device located on the windscreen of the hire car which identifies the registration number as it passes under the gantry. It is registered to that reg. number via the hire-car firm. It will be just on your card for the time you have the hire car. Relations of mine have done the hire car thing and not had problems with the credit card thereafter. No worries !!

No toll on the International Bridge, but there are major road works on it - they have been strengthening the whole bridge, and happily the last time we went over a month ago, the surface had been redone and all the horrible potholes and ridges smoothed off !!! still got a speed restriction on it ...

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Gasman,
Thanks for prompt and clear reply, the likelyhood that this same car get to Portugal unlikely, i was more concerned of ongoing and thought it may be necessary to cancel card for new one.
Because i had not told the car hire people i was entering Portugal and did not have time on returning as nearly missed my flight.

Regards....