Wild Camping

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
john the baptist
Resident

Wild Camping

Postby john the baptist » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:50 pm

I heard its completely illegal to say ride a motor bike across country and at night put up a tent and crash out until morning. Ive been told especilially in Andalusian is not allowed except on specific fiesta days or san juan on the beach.

As a single biker i wanted to take a trip up north however even 25euros a night in the cheapest of hostels for a few hours stay will rack up the expenses for accommodation to the point where its simply not worth it.

I hate the idea of a guided set tour or having to go into bigger towns for hostels especially as madrid toledo bilboa will be expensive and riding in unknown cities can be difficult.

is there any advice anyone can give except soulless hostels by the motorways with 100 truck drivers. i wanted to explore the "real spain" on two wheels and even head up to pamplona for the bull run and re run it 30 years after i camper vanned it down from London.

Without sounding unrealistic im looking at an easy rider type trip where everything is extremely casual and keeping the costs to the minimum. I hate hotel rooms by myself and as we are all getting older my riding years are demising rapidly.

Does anyone know of any area in andalucia or up north where they are a little more flexible with someone with a small tent???

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Wild Camping

Postby costakid » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:26 pm

I understand you can up a tent overnight in Spain without any problems. I suppose a land owner could ask you to move on but there was a thread on here a while ago discussing the same topic. Some friends biked to Galicia a few years ago on the Harleys and pitched up every night when they had had enough. Never had a problem.
Go for it before its too late.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:48 pm

cheers for the comments costakid. I know you are not allowed to sleep on the beach over night and because of gypsy they are strict with caravans and tents (although motor homes seem ok). the arthritis means i wont be riding forever, and i camped in pamplona in the early 90s and ran on the first day. the trip down through france took so long that i had to head back after the official start, fireworks fiesta and the first run. Ive done long 12 hour over night trips but its 1000 km up north from andalucia.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:32 pm

It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:18 am

cheers for the website link. Im very surprised how regulated Spain "still" is. I can understand the rules with regards to Fire and sleeping on the beach but as a person that lives in a town in at "natural park" I know that the first thing that they like to do is erect fences and locked gates on PUBLIC land. Things are out of bounds but i know for example the laws of access and the fact that the Mayor and the ayutiamentio are not god and are just administrators for the municipal functions of the voting region. They work for the people of the town and they own nothing. The town hall does not have the deeds to the land. But as many locals are so ignorant and civil war tales still carry one thought great great grandchildren and will always be associated with surnames then Fear still continues.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 am

My only advice would be if you are going to camp. Only take stuff that you can afford to loose. If you get stopped by the Guardia civil they may only take the tent. Good luck.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:14 pm

In the Highlands of Scotland, we used to have no overnight parking signs everywhere, large laybys and other convenient places to stop. A foreigner challenged the byelaw and what do you know No Overnight Parking signs were taken down.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice. I cant wait for the summer and to explore the north better.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:05 pm

Don't know if it is still the same but when I was young I used to stay with a friend in Elche (Alicante).during the summer most of the towns working class would decamp to the coast and pitch their tents for a couple of months. Perhaps there isn't any land left now.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:12 pm

Sounds wonderful Katy

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:33 am

Between the beaches of the south and the cities of the north you will find Extremadura, a bikers paradise. Roads are excellent and empty. There are plenty of wild areas where you can camp and no one will even know. Most villages have hermitages and romería grounds where you can camp free and there are water taps and some have toilet blocks, as well. There are free Refugio places in the sierras. It sounds a wonderful trip.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:20 am

katy wrote:Don't know if it is still the same but when I was young I used to stay with a friend in Elche (Alicante).during the summer most of the towns working class would decamp to the coast and pitch their tents for a couple of months. Perhaps there isn't any land left now.
I have seen the GC moving campers away from the beaches in recent years unless the beach is classed as wild like Almayate. You can do what you want on this beach more or less.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:20 pm

costakid wrote:
katy wrote:Don't know if it is still the same but when I was young I used to stay with a friend in Elche (Alicante).during the summer most of the towns working class would decamp to the coast and pitch their tents for a couple of months. Perhaps there isn't any land left now.
I have seen the GC moving campers away from the beaches in recent years unless the beach is classed as wild like Almayate. You can do what you want on this beach more or less.
Playa Grande, Las Canteras, Gran Canaria: on the beach, NO ball games except in specific, controlled sections, NO drinking of alcohol, NO radios except with earphones, NO smoking, NO overnight tents, although small day tent (wind protectors are allowed until 20.00.

You couldn't get anywhere the beach with a motor home and the only wheeled devices allowed on the paseo are wheelchairs and police cycles, try riding a bike or rollerblading on the Paseo and you will receive an instant fine !

I and many others absolutely love these rules because the beach and Paseo can be enjoyed without fear of interference by feckless and disrespectful idiots.

The local authorities have allowed the wild crappy beach at La Puntilla to be used for camping etc