Alcaudete/iznajar

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Alcaudete/iznajar

Postby elusive » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:47 pm

Has anyone had a day trip to alcaudete/Iznajar. Is it worth the drive. We have seen alot of towns in that area. Preigo,alcala lucena,montefrio,zuheros etc. It has a great looking castle and views which i like .does it have an old part. Nice churches etc? As i like to take alot of photos. Some articles list it as one of the most beautiful places in andalucia. Any opinions?

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Alcaudete/iznajar

Postby olive » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:29 pm

I am surprised that you haven't had any replies.

Cannot help with Alcaudete but would say Iznajar has a charm. We took a visitor there last week. Plenty of photo opportunities. The pantano is pretty low. I prefer it fuller however some interesting photo opportunities for example former river bridges that are normally covered by the lake. There is a good one off to the right on the road to Rute out of the town.

In the summer parking in the town is limited. There is a park at the top and then you can walk to the castle and church. One or two areas with masses of wall mounted flower pots that are photo opportunites in the summer.

We also like Zuheros and Montefrio.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi elusive,
Alcaudete ............If you Liked Alcalá la Real then you will like this city as it's very similar.

Used to pass through on way to Ferry until they built the Bypass. I can even view the Castle if I walk 50mtr down my track, OK its circa 30km as the Eagle flies.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks all. We went to the castle in alcala but never went into the town as we had been somewhere else first,preigo i think so it had been a long day.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:22 am

Hi elusive,

"i think so it had been a long day."............if you're into Castles, Old Churches and Eating then you really need a full day when visiting each of these inland cities.

Example........

Alcalá La Real

Wander round the old parts of town, in May some courtyards have flower displays to rival Córdoba, as befitting the centre of Olive Oil production, Olive Museums and Spanish Restaurants aplenty. On the Bypass the Shell Garage dose Menu del Dia, the dinning area is laid out like a posh Hotel , white table cloths and napkins, OTT menu choice and prompt service. In Town El Silo, El Sur and Hotel Torrepalma all recommended .
Four very old churches and if you need a Mecadona fix , a recently upgrade store when you can even charge your E-Car !
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:29 am

Cheers enrique. Great info.