Ancestry search

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Mary carey
Tourist

Ancestry search

Postby Mary carey » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Hi all.
After extensive research I find my grandparents ( maternal) came from Jimera de libar . Think that's correct spelling which is now situated in a UNESCO site I believe. I would love to go there and stay local enough to try to find their resting places. Sadly my grandmother died delivering my mum but we now have her name after researching in Gibraltar where mum was raised by her aunty.
Where is the closest we could site ourselves for a holiday combined with a visit please.

maureenscot
Resident

Re: Ancestry search

Postby maureenscot » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:04 am

It is quite a way inland from Malaga. Inland rural. You could stay in the village or one of the surrounding villages to use as a base. It is quite near the beautiful town of Ronda. Let us know how you get on

Mary carey
Tourist

Postby Mary carey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:32 am

Thankyou. We have found a couple of properties on a booking site to rent in Jimera de liber but are you suggesting Ronda as the place to stay for our holiday part and drive up to the village from there ? Is Ronda suitable for at least 1 weeks summer holiday and can we fly direct from uk or do we have to fly into Malaga then drive to Ronda ?
Sorry for all the questions but it is a totally unfamiliar area of Spain for us.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:38 am

Hi Mary carey,
A good starting point for info is our home page ............................ :D

http://www.andalucia.com/

You will fly into Málaga.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:01 pm

As someone who spent a few years researching ancestors I would do some research online before visiting. Many of the genealogy sites have tips and resources for tracing Spanish ancestry. It isn’t easy.
Ancestry.co.uk is a good start. When you have some solid info’ then visit with a list of where you need to visit. Have a look at this

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/places/europe/spain/

Good luck. Let us know.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:06 pm

Mary, When you arrive at the village may I suggest that you visit the local church and request to see the church records, you may be able to trace your family back quite a long way.
Unfortunately many church records were destroyed during the Spanish Civil War, but hopefully they are still available.
It would also be worthwhile asking at the local Town Hall, they do sometimes have early records in their archives and they may also have group photos from school, church and fiestas, which may show some of your ancestors.
Good Luck with your quest.

Regards,
Gordon...

Mary carey
Tourist

Postby Mary carey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:04 pm

Thankyou. I am 100% certain they lived there and welcome all your comments. Thankyou so much for the info provided so far. Yes I was hoping there is a cemetery I could visit also in the town as well as the church. Sadly I know no spanish as my mother was forbidden to speak any in our home as I grew up ( he was a tyrant ). Happy to base myself there for at least 1 week on this visit so am likely going to book directly to stay in the actual town.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:30 pm

Mary,
I just had a quick look at the details of the village and as it's quite a small population there is a good chance that you may have some living relatives there and everyone knows everyone in the pueblo.
If you don't speak any Spanish can I suggest that you Google translate names and any relevant details and produce several copies to give to people in the village, you will be quite surprised at the memories they have, some 'passed down', be also aware that some of the old people can't read or write .!
The town hall and church will also usually let you take copies / photos of any material of interest to you.
Can I ask the approx. year of birth of your Mother ?
I have quite a deep interest in history and especially local / social history.
Regards,
Gordon

Mary carey
Tourist

Postby Mary carey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:06 pm

Gordon of course. My mother's name was Rosa Rodriguez portero AKA Lavagna. Year of birth 02/02/1928 . That's what is on the copy birth certificate though church records in Gibraltar show a discrepancy of a couple of days . She was raised by her Aunty under the name lavagna in Gibraltar , however her real mothers name was Joseffa Vega and mum was registered as being born out of wedlock.
Sadly we have only recently found out these details from a recent visit so have been unable to verify any further and we are not due back into Gib until 2021 now.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:34 pm

Mary carey wrote:Thankyou. We have found a couple of properties on a booking site to rent in Jimera de liber but are you suggesting Ronda as the place to stay for our holiday part and drive up to the village from there ? Is Ronda suitable for at least 1 weeks summer holiday and can we fly direct from uk or do we have to fly into Malaga then drive to Ronda ?
Sorry for all the questions but it is a totally unfamiliar area of Spain for us.
Have a look at tripadvisor if you need info on ronda. A beautiful famous town. You mention a summer visit. Be ware of going in july and august as it gets very hot inland.ronda is quite small and a couple of nights is enough to see the main sights. if you stay for upto a week you you can visit places like zahara de la sierra,grazalema, ,olvera, setenil de las bodegas. All lovely white villages near ronda..

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:40 am

Mary,
Thank you for the info., an interesting and sad story emerging.

I'm sure that you will be able to find out a lot about your family when you visit the village ,but remember that times were very difficult when your Mother was born, much poverty and despair and many heartbreaking stories.

I will let you know if I uncover any interesting facts.

Best Wishes,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:11 pm

I forgot to mention..

There is a Facebook page for Jimera de Libar, if you haven't already just type in 'Ayuntamiento Jimera de Libar.'

I would suggest that you join and add a request, in Spanish, for information regarding your Mother.
Do a Google translate and keep it short and sweet initally..

Lots of photos of recent events and who knows you may be looking at some of your relatives....

Hope you have success.
Regards,
Gordon

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:58 pm

How interesting. Have you read Victoria Hislop’s novel? Very similar.

Mary carey
Tourist

Postby Mary carey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:04 am

Thankyou Gordon, I will trace the group . No Katy I haven't read it but just might. I only found out last year who my grandparents were but my mother sadly never found out in her lifetime. She was given a great upbringing by her Aunty Catalina but married my brute of a father and he made sure her heritage never came to light or her Spanish family . Very sad indeed.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:18 am

Hello Mary or perhaps I should call you Maria....

You now have a newly found bunch of keys which will hopefully unlock your family history and you will be able to learn about the tears of pain, but also the tears of joy and happiness shed by your ancestors....

I'm sure that you will find it a very worthwhile experience.

Enjoy your journey,

Best Wishes ,
Gordon