Walking from one side to the other of Sierra Nevada

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Walking from one side to the other of Sierra Nevada

Postby olive » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:36 pm

I have always wanted to walk the old "highest road in Europe" from the barrier on the road high above the ski resort to presumably Capaliera above Bubion etc. and then get picked up rather than walk back.

Has anyone done this? If so how long does it take? How far is it? Any tips? Which is the best direction? I am thinking of about 8 weeks time so would take warm clothes and food and drink.

olive

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:02 pm

Olive, don't mean to be pedantic (but I am anyway, I know) but the highest road in Europe is the Col de la Bonnette in the south of France, However your suggested route sounds good anyway, don't know the trip though probably more than a few days :)

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:20 pm

olive,
if you're talking about walking from prado llano
to the veleta (at ca 3390 m) and on down into capaliera or bubion
(depending on your experience & condition)
you're talking about 10 or 11 hours...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:21 pm

Before anyone else points it out there is yet another road which claims to be higher than either the OLD one in Sierra Nevada or Solysombras' French Bonnet. For the record though it is in Eastern Europe so purists might argue it isn't in Europe at all.

Has anyone got any thing useful to add in response to my questions?

olive

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:28 pm

Sorry didn't mean to be useless, maybe someone else can help you with this amazingly interesting subject :roll:

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:59 pm

Get a copy of South from Granada by Gerald Brenan. He regularly walked to Granada from various locations in the southern area of the Sierra Nevadas and its a good read too!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:07 pm

Olive, I haven't walked that route. I have however walked from Trevelez to the summit of Mulhacin and back. which is possibly an equivalent distance and probably a harder walk. It took a full day early in November, twenty years ago, when I was a younger and fitter man.
Grouser