Catatastral Value/IBI

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Free at Last
Resident

Catatastral Value/IBI

Postby Free at Last » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:38 pm

Can anyone explain to me how the catastral value of a house is calculated, please?

The catastral value of every house in Velez-Malaga, where I live, has just been revised and we are told that we will shortly be able to check the revised figure online but the facility is not working yet. However, conversations with friends and neighbours have thrown up what seems to be a big discrepancy between the amount of IBI tax I am paying and other peopleś with similar or bigger properties.

I have 169 sqm built and a plot size of 76 sqm, and the preent Valor Catatastral of the house is 34,672.50. Last yearś IBI bill was 285.40€. But for example, some friends of ours just a few streets away have a house of 200 sqm built on a plot size of 250 sqm and their bill was 250€. Other bills are at least 100€ a year less than mine for houses only a little smaller than mine.

Is the IBI based only on catastral value, or are there any other factors that might affect it?

Is there any kind of appeal system if my IBI bill appears to be too high for the size of the property, and is this the kind of thing a gestor could look into for me?

Any information which might help clear up this mystery would be much appreciated.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:36 pm

It may be that they have had extensions that have not been registered with Catastro. IBI is normally calculated as a percentage of the valor catastral.

Have you queried this with your local Town Hall? Most have a Catastro department although with some of the smaller ones you have to go on a particular day of the week.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:22 pm

I don't have my receipts with me, but I will bring them in tomorrow and give you the details.
As far as I remember I paid more in 2007 than I did in 2006. 2006 would have been the first year I had to pay IBI. As far as I remember it was 94% of the v.c. multiplied by the rate of .85%. This year (2007) it was 97% of the v.c. multiplied by the rate of .85%.
Anyway I'll pm you the details tomorrow as a check!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks for the response, Beachcomber. That is a tricky one, it could be that if I enquire too closely into my bill and it turns out that my friends do have extensions that the Catastral office don't know about, it could result in their bill going up rather than mine going down - and that wouldn't make me the most popular person in town!

Thanks Colin, it would be useful to have another comparison. My own IBI bills have increased every year for the 4 years I have owned the house, by a fairly small amount, but it seems there will be a much bigger increase this year because of the revision of all the catatastral values in the municipality. The facility to be able to check the new values online still isn't working as of today so I don't know how much it will be, but maybe you should brace yourself. Sorry!

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:24 pm

free at last,
I have just pm'd details to you.

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:42 am

Could you let us know how we can check our catastral value online when this facility becomes available - we live near Arenas and probaby come under Velez Malaga for catastral value purposes. A link to the website would be useful and any other info that might assist.

Many thanks

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:16 am

You can only check your valor catastral on the Catastro web site if you are a registered user. Details of how to do this can be found here:

http://www.catastro.meh.es/ayuda/ayuda_primera.htm

As a non-registered user the information you can obtain is restricted:

https://ovc.catastro.meh.es/CYCBienInmu ... ultaBI.htm

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks Beachcomber

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:11 pm

I went into the Catastral Revision office in Velez yesterday and checked the new figures for my house (the office is in the same complex as the Aqualia water company office if anyone wants to pay them a call). The valor catastral for my house has gone up from 34,672€ to 108,403€ and this year's IBI bill will increase by 25% - don't know if this will be any use as a yardstick for other properties in the municipality or not.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:29 pm

A different catastral question. If they put up your valor catastral officially (ours was done last year) does this affect your liability to CGT in terms of how much you have to pay if you sell and don't re-invest in another property?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:08 pm

No it doesn't. The CGT is based on the declared price that you sell at compared with the declared price that you paid, less a small allowance for inflation and allowances for costs of sale/purchase and any legal, invoiced improvements..

Sid

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:41 am

Ah well, worth asking. Get you every way don't they, increase the paper value of your house so they can take more tax now but use the original value when it comes to taking the CGT :roll: Only bonus if we do sell is that we bought when the pound was at it's peak against the euro, about 35 cents difference to the current level :D

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:24 pm

I've been trying to get some information on my new catastral value (Velez Malaga) online and I need to register to be able to access this. Can anyone explain how I can gain authorisation to look at my own catastral value and whether I can do this online. My Spanish is not good.

Many thanks

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:39 pm

We have just received a letter from Madrid about the valor catastral for our house and land, together with a bill. (We had to sign for this at the post office).

My query is this: As our house is not registered in the Land Registry it does not legally exist and therefore do we have to pay this bill?

ICCSL
Andalucia.com Amigo

Rates

Postby ICCSL » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Even if your house is not registered in the land registry, if you are paying rates there is an acknowledgment that it does exist. If this is the first time you have been sent a bill it may be something to do with the fact that helicopters have been flying over the territory for around 18 months now taking aerial shots of everything that is on the land in order to update the Catastral Registry. If the Catastral says it exists - it does.

Tina
Tina

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:59 pm

The mayor told us last year before the local elections that all the rustic houses would be entered on the Catastro and that the IBI receipt would suffice instead of a Habitacion licence.

I can't make a lot of sense of the valuation and bill, but I was wondering whether this bill would have been backdated for four or five years, or whether we will have to pay this amount each year.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Just received my revised catastral/IBI.
Velez Malaga have altered the values of houses in their area. :(

Last year my bill was €28.05, this year it will be
€23.64 :D :) :D

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:22 pm

My bill for 405 euros seems a lot compared to yours Gerry.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:39 am

That does seem quite a high figure, Campo Babe. I have just looked for my details from last year. we only paid 118.17. I wonder if that is just for the land then - as we are still waiting for our licencia de primera occupacion, so maybe the house is not included? We did not get a bill directly, but had to pay it as an urbanizacion. We do however have a receipt from the Ayuntamiento. We have had our escritura for 3 years now, so I am confused. I wonder if we will suddenly get a huge bill.
I tried to use the link given above to look at my entry in the Catastral. But could not get anywhere with it. I was using the number on my receipt shown as identificativo - but all I got was an error message - referencia es errónio. The reference I am using is 20 digits of letters and numbers - am I using the right reference?

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:02 am

We have just received notification de valores catastrales de bienes inmuebles urbanos. I understand this is our revised IBI, do we have to pay this now or wait until the end of the year and pay when a bill arrives? OR is this a bill? We only paid last years in Dec when the bill arrived.