Are You Considering Jumping Out of the frying pan..

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Are You Considering Jumping Out of the frying pan..

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:26 pm

Into the Fire.. :?:

Many of you seem to be so disillusioned with living in Spain, but do you really think that it is better in UK or anywhere else ...for that matter...

Well you may be doing the wrong thing.!

We had lived in Spain for quite a long time, then moved back to UK, realised that we had done the wrong thing, and moved back again, as quickly as we could..

We are now into are 9th month of our 'gap year', and have travelled as much as possible, and we have now come to the conclusion that the problems are the same , all over Europe..

It really is , in my opinion, a Swings and Roundabouts situation...Good and Bad situations where ever you go, and as I've been saying for ages.. Nowhere is Perfect..

Maybe, you really should consider making the best of what you've got, and make some changes to your lifestyle here, even if it means 'tightening your belt a little'.

If you are thinking of selling up and leaving, I think with the present situation , that you are going to have a long wait for a sale, unless you are prepared to drop your house price considerably.
Trouble is that when you have your house on the market, you go into 'limbo', everything goes 'on hold', and you will probably end up really depressed.

So why not give it another go...doubt that you've got much to lose ..at the moment.

Has anyone actually already decided to stay put and make the most of the situation :?: :wink:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Am I in a minority?
I have lived in Spain for nearly 4 years.
I like it here.
I have no intention of leaving.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Raquel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Raquel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:02 pm

I did again and again and again always hoping for it to be better,
e.g when the electric is connected it will be better, when the roof is fixed it will be better, when the water is connected it will be better, when the internet is connected it will be better.........it never got better
I just wasted many years, when I really should have just packed and left and moved on with my life rather waiting for it to get better!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Gerry said...Am I in a minority?

.....From what I read it would seem so..... :(

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 pm

I know people who have returned to Spain after having sold up. I also know people who are really happy to be back in the UK, everyone is different.

Spain is not the country it was and I would not move here now. (too many Brits , many of the wrong kind :wink: ) It is my home though and I love the area and house and garden, not really fond of the rest...quality and service is disappearing etc. When I go to the UK I enjoy it the shopping, friends etc so I often wonder if I have the rose tinted glasses on about the UK as I only stay for short periods. I do feel like making the move but not necessarily to the UK. I think if I was really tempted I would try the UK out for about 6 months before deciding. I just feel really fortunate to have a choice :)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:08 pm

BENIDORM wrote:Gerry said...Am I in a minority?

Perhaps the problem is some people only post to complain and moan.
The contended ones just enjoy their lives.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:10 pm

Forums are for info' and whinging aren't they. Oh forgot and agents to post about the "real" spain stuff :wink:

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:12 pm

been here 9 years now!-kids love it (15,9) yes every day life is the same everywhere and i do miss things but its nice that if OH finishes work late we still can go out as a family and do more things together - as my mum died last oct (in hospital with superbug) dad(89) is now here rather than sitting in UK on his own-its easier to deal with him here as its acceptable to have 9 to 90 yr olds out together!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Raquel,
I'm sure that in your case, that you did the right thing, you obviously did give it a go.
However , not everyone is living in a building site, and maybe they are just bored, so rather than move they could just make some changes..surely....

It is good to hear that you are now happy, but I think that maybe you still miss being in Spain...at least a little...you still post on here quite regularly.. :wink:
Still who knows, maybe if circumstances change, you might consider coming back..... :)

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:14 pm

BENIDORM wrote:Gerry said...Am I in a minority?

Gerry - Definitely not!! We are the same as you and absolutely love it here!! :lol: 8) I think there are quite a few others who agree but dare not post these "positive feelings" again, as only a few weeks ago when the subject came up, those who "dared" say they love it here were shot down in flames (attempted :wink: ) by the odd few disheartened on here.
Shame, but i´m still standing!! :wink:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:20 pm

Well I like it here and so does my wife, we dont have rose coloured anythings and dread the possibilty of maybe someday having to go back to the UK.

I think most of the people on here that moan about some aspect of life in Spain are British and that's what the british do, they moan! They sit and do sod all but moan while their country culture and history is stolen from them.

Mhic.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Katy...
I think you and I are very similar, I do like living in Spain, but then again I also like being in UK or somewhere else..I guess that I will always have itchy feet.... :)

Gerry..... :D :D :D

ps..
I like to hear good positive stories about contented people in Spain..... :wink:

Raquel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Raquel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:35 pm

BENIDORM wrote:Still who knows, maybe if circumstances change, you might consider coming back..... :)
Not a chance :lol: no I'm more than happy now, but unfortuntely still have my house in Andalucia so obviously still a slight interest (as trying to sell)...posting on here gives me a chance to not stress about my wedding next week!!

plus it was a big part of my life for many years and difficult to switch off!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:36 pm

I don't think people are scared to post positive (used to be vice-versa). Look at scampicat on another thread she/he felt the need to apologise for having a bad Spain day.

I think if people do not speak the language fairly fluently they can get ripped off and some people have been treated very badly and had a lot of bad luck...works for some but not others

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:46 pm

Raquel,
I'm real pleased for you,

Good Luck with your Wedding, and may I wish you a long and good life with your chosen one.... :D

Raquel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Raquel » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:47 pm

Thank you, thats very kind :D x

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:50 pm

I agree Katy, that the ones who lack even a basic grasp of the language, are usually the people who have been ripped off and feel the need to moan...but can you imagine going to the UK and not being able to speak it, even basically there? :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:58 pm

Well I'll be ok then...I speak Spanish, English and Rubbish..... :D :D

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Beni at least you have the skill of getting people to contribute in the discussion :)

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:26 pm

I still get days where i could pack up and go home,but i know when i get there i will want to be back in Spain again,it soon passes until another bad day arises. :oops:
I do love it here,its just sometimes its very difficult.