Laser Eye Surgery

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Laser Eye Surgery

Postby karandjon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi, I am looking into the possibility of having Laser Eye Surgery done here in Spain, but would prefer to go somewhere with a good reputation or one that could be recommended.

Does anyone know of any or of anyone who has had this done, here in Spain? Sevilla or Huelva areas would be preferred.

Many thanks

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:23 pm

A friend is just going through the process of being assessed for laser eye treatment in Sevilla city. I'll get the details from her when next I see her.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:42 am

I would love to have it done as my eye sight is getting worse but the optician told me quite bluntly that it wasn't possible for "old eyes"...charming!!!
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:28 am

Spanish Trafico are now insisting on frequent regular eye tests for people who have had this laser surgery, its a new law.......so you may want to bear this in mind too

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:47 am

For frequent - read annual.

This of course also applies to residents who are still driving on their UK licences.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:49 am

Does the same apply for cataract surgery?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:26 am

The newspaper report where this story originated mentions "corrective surgery" which implies laser treatment rather than a surgical procedure such as cataracts.

I am trying to track down some official source to clarify this but haven't found one yet. I have sight in only one eye and I have to have a medical every 3 years.

Sid

Angie P
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Angie P » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:54 am

I read that report too, didnt it say that the fine for NOT disclosing would be something like 300€ ?

But the cost of the yearly check ups was not attractive, not when you have to find the money every year!
I think I may still have the newspaper, I will try and find it and post the yearly cost the paper quoted

Ang

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:06 pm

Many thanks for the advice and info everyone.

Hillybilly - The info from your friend in Sevilla would be most appreciated.Thankyou.

Ang/elCid - If you could find the newspaper article and post it, that would be most apreciated.

Thanks everyone. :lol: I am fed up with spending hundreds of euros on poor quality frames in Spain. I find i am needing to replace them at least once every year!
:cry:
Karen

Angie P
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Angie P » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:32 pm

karen, Really sorry, looks like mine has already gone to the recycling already

I will have a look online when I get the chance and see what I can find

Ang

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:36 pm

Many thanks Ang. That would be most appreciated.

Karen

Angie P
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Angie P » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi Karen

found the same piece in another newspaper

Hope it helps

Ang

One in the eye for surgery

Drivers who have corrective eye surgery will have to submit to a sight test and renew their licence under new rules introduced in Spain.
The new law is expected to affect an estimated 75,000 drivers a year who will now have to fork out another €30 for an eye test and €18 for their licence renewal.
The costs come on top of the money they will have spent on corrective laser eye surgery, designed to improve their eyesight.
Those who fail to comply face a €300 fine and will have to produce a medical certificate following an eye test.
The government say the new regulations are needed because recovery times after corrective surgery can vary dramatically, with some people advised not to drive for up to three months following surgery.
The change came last week and was underlined by an event held in Madrid by the CEA drivers club to highlight the importance of good vision in road safety.
The rule allowing drivers to renew their driving licence without a new test up to four years after its expiry is also removed. Affected drivers will have to re-sit their driving test which, from September this year, will be much tougher.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:05 pm

Many thanks Ang. Most appreciated. Certainly food for thought.
Regards
Karen