What's your opinion?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
telboy
Resident

What's your opinion?

Postby telboy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:11 pm

My wife suffers with fibromyalgia (a long term condition which causes pain all over the body, extreme tiredness, muscle stiffness, headaches and IBS)

She was told by her local Spanish doctor to stop taking Ibuprofen (Anti-Inflamitory) for her pain management because anti-inflamitories are the worse possible drugs to take for a sufferer of fibroids which she also has, as well a anemia. So, she was prescribed Nolotil which is a very strong analgesic.

However, when I looked up information regarding Nolotil on the internet, the drug was banned in Sweden 1974, USA 1979, and more than 30 other countries including Japan, Australia and most of the European Union, but obviously not in Spain. :wtf:

Would you use the drug :?:

terry

eazbak
Resident

Re: What's your opinion?

Postby eazbak » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Personally I would post the same question on medical forums..googling "medical forum" should help you find sites with members who will be able to give you a more informed opinion.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:51 pm

Ask for a second opinion from another doctor, even if you have to pay to see a private doctor.
You could also ask in your local pharmacia, they are very knowledgeable.
They are more qualified to give an opinion than anybody on this forum. Unless there is a qualified doctor amongst us.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:08 pm

telboy wrote:
However, when I looked up information regarding Nolotil on the internet, the drug was banned in Sweden 1974, USA 1979, and more than 30 other countries including Japan, Australia and most of the European Union, but obviously not in Spain. :wtf:

terry
According to Google, it is also available in Germany, Italy, Portugal and Switzerland to name a few.

It was banned because of one possible rare side effect but it seems that it is just as safe as Paracetamol, and about 8 times safer than Aspirin in causing that particular side effect.

If you take the time to read all the information on the leaflet that comes with any drug and look at the possible side effects you would never take anything.

Of course, remember that salt and sugar are now deemed to be life threatening.

Would I take it if prescribed - yes.

Sid

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:44 pm

My wife also has this condition. Doctors in England and Spain have agreed on Ibuprofen as first choice in her case.

We also use a "cold cream" directly to the area, especially leading up to menstruation when it's most uncomfortable/painful.

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:07 pm

I write this with trepidation as I don´t want to scare you but this "rare" side effect is a lowering of white blood cells. It is far more common in white europeans as opposed to mediterranean ones and can cause death. I knew one person who died from taking this medication, in his 40´s, know of another who died in his 60´s and i myself had a serious infection requiring additional surgery as a result of this medication. It is a very effective pain killer but the price is potentially high for white europeans who have different immune systems, my take is if your intuition says this is not good for me don´t take it. Try boswellia or curcumin instead, harmless, natural but effective

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:00 am

Cheers for all the replies - all advice taken onboard :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

terry

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:51 pm

I was recently prescribed Nolotil by a dentist after initial treatment for a dental implant to be put in place. There was something nagging at the back of my mind about this drug and it was obviously as a result of seeing this thread some time ago.

When I got home a did a little research and came up with this:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 10240.html

It was also reported in The Sun:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/1506333 ... for-brits/

This bears out what Chica56 said in her post two and a half years previously. Obviously the side effect is not so 'rare'. I am sure that the UK, the USA, Australia and other EU countries haven't banned it for nothing.

I certainly will not be taking Nolotil and although there was a little pain for about 24 hours it was nothing that I could not bear so I took no painkillers whatsoever.

If you are prescribed Nolotil by a doctor or dentist you may do well to keep this in mind.
Let's go Brandon!

yesSi
Tourist

Postby yesSi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Hello Tellboy

You should read an article in the Olive Press news. Just put Nolotil into search....not very encouraging for you but definitely worth reading.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:39 pm

I've similarly been involved like many of the above scenarios and I was prescribed Metamizole.....which is the generic name of (wait for it).....nolotil....beware, as the NHS here in Andalucia didn't suggest any problems that might occur. Took it, alternating every 4 hours with paracetamol and.......I' still here and it seems to work OK.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:23 pm

My OH was given Nolotil after his brain aneurysm but never took it as he really doesn't like any medication much. He, also, read up the comments on the drug and said that taking it would probably worry him so much the added stress would kill him anyway.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:42 am

I know of someone that has ended up seriously ill having taken this drug. He is still recovering but due to the low white blood cells he bruises very easily now and can hardly stand or walk. He has issued a warning about it on our local newsletter and I think there was a recent article about it in the Daily Mail.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:57 am

its catch 22 really because with fibromyalgia the pain is so bad that could also kill you. I would ask in a farmacia for some advice because you will always get conflicting answers on here.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Quite a few postings on f.book groups warning about this drug. Based off the media articles. One northern european suffered a collapsed lung. Have they tried naproxen.you can buy it over the counter.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:41 pm

I would trust the integrity of the g from whomyou are asking advice/treatment!

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Wow nearly two years on this topic comes back to life!

Interesting reading the articles and fellow posters' findings.

At the time my wife was suffering from severe anaemia (due to women things combined with age). For her fibromyalgia she was given Nolotil as alternative pain killer as it was slightly stronger than Paracetemol. Since she was taking a range of drugs at the time for all her ailments I was only checking online to make sure all these drugs were compatible, when I discovered the information on Nolotil. Due to the severity of her anaemia she was advised to seek emergency hospital treatment for a blood transfusion should she suffer any cuts or bruises. Because Nolotil could cause internal haemorrhaging and what we'd read we decided against using it.

Costakid - Fibromyalgia can not kill, however the extreme pain suffered causes depression, the side effects from taking antidepressants could potentially make you suicidal.

I'm no doctor but ersonally I suggest a blood test before and after using Nolotil.

terry

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Been in hospital for an operation on my spine.
Handed a report by the doctor which prescribed Nolitol as a pain killer.
Didn't think anything of it until I got home and read up about Nolitol.
My wife went to our local "open all hours" pharmacist to try to get an alternate pain killer.
Paracetamol is the strongest painkiller than can sell over the counter. The pharmacist phoned the owner/ head pharmacist for advice and he agreed that they could only dispense paracetamol without a prescription.
The pharmacist phoned the hospital and found out that I had been given Nolitol and morphine intravenously whilst I was in hospital. I didn't feel any pain in hospital whilst on those drugs.
Started feeling pain here at home now the effect of the drugs has worn off.
Hope that paracetimol reduces the pain.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Some pharmacists will give you Tr*mad*l OTC.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Unfortunately this being a weekend very few pharmacists are open.
The open all hours one my wife went to are sticklers for the rules.
A more local one isn't but they are shut until Monday.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:27 pm

If you were on it in hospital with no side effects, and it controls the pain I would be inclined to keep taking it until you can sort out an alternative next week. Most of the problems seem to be longer term.

Sid