Flies

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
zanuck
Resident

Flies

Postby zanuck » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:30 pm

We've been here just over a week and the number of flies - mainly black ones just about a quarter inch long inside the house is, by our UK standards, horrendous - 7 or 8 in the kitchen/dining area.

One cheeky b*gger just now was even perched on the neck of the wine bottle as I was pouring from it :wtf:

Even worse is when they land on head or face - yeuk!

We have a dog, and although our giant can of BZZZ from Eroski is pretty effective, we can't spray it all day long and don't want the dog breathing it in either.

We don't leave food out, clean up/wash up immediately after eating, wipe down work surfaces etc to try to not make the house attractive to the winged demons, but still they come.

Has anyone found an effective way of getting rid of them? Are those old-fashioned but somewhat unsightly fly strips still available?

Thanks - Z

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Flies

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi zanuck,
Good to hear you had a enjoyable trip down.

There was a post the other day re flies.................

http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... es#p320994

Yes the sticky fly papers are available.

FLY-KOL.......... Atrapamoscas ,come with 4 x in a box

What works for us......... steel fly curtain on kitchen, leave all windows closed (keeps house cool as well), have a heavy fabric curtain on front door.
Last edited by Enrique on Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:57 pm

As I posted previously, fly screens on all windows and keep doors closed. It works!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:23 pm

That's fine if you only have a few windows and don't mind affecting the view!

Sid

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:13 pm

We never have house flies in our house.
We have mosquito nets on all windows. (Make sure they are charcoal colour, as they are less noticeable than white). We have fly screens on all the doors.
Woe betide any that ever get past those as they are doomed to die from a fly swat. :thumbup:

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi zanuck,
Good to hear you had a enjoyable trip down.

There was a post the other day re files.................

http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... es#p320994

Yes the sticky fly papers are available.

FLY-KOL.......... Atrapamoscas ,come with 4 x in a box

What works for us......... steel fly curtain on kitchen, leave all windows closed (keeps house cool as well), have a heavy fabric curtain on front door.

Hi Enrique
Thanks yes a safe and straightforward trip down, we waved to you as we passed the Alcala La Real turn on the motorway.

Thanks for sharing the link to the other post - I searched in "Living In Andalucía" figuring that's where posts about flies would be - nothing very recent though was returned, didn't think to check "General" :oops:

We have the steel fly curtain on the front door, but leaving all of the windows closed in our 40 year old south facing house with about 6 inches thick walls wouldn't work for us living in it - may be ok on one of the hundreds of year old village houses below us.

Thanks also masterob - having only just had internet installed here in Spain, I have a lot of catching up to do on the forum and elsewhere so hadn't seen your post. :oops: again.

Got to concur with Sid :thumbup:

White Horse, got the mossie screen, whilst flies are incredibly clever at many things - one of the things that seems to defeat them is that when climbing up the inside of a mossie screen even when able to feel the breeze, see the view on the other side; is that they can't get through them and just keep on climbing and hoping.

It looks like fly strips and more practice with the swat is what is needed here..........

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:41 pm

El Cid wrote:
That's fine if you only have a few windows and don't mind affecting the view!
Eh? What has the number of windows got to do with it? Buy as many screens as you have windows! The ones we have cover one side of the window which slide open/close. Given the choice of a house full of flies or looking at a view I know which I choose! Anyway, the mesh is so fine it barely obstructs the view.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:39 pm

masterob wrote:Eh? What has the number of windows got to do with it? Buy as many screens as you have windows! The ones we have cover one side of the window which slide open/close. Given the choice of a house full of flies or looking at a view I know which I choose! Anyway, the mesh is so fine it barely obstructs the view.
Exactly!

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:14 pm

White Horse wrote:
masterob wrote:Eh? What has the number of windows got to do with it? Buy as many screens as you have windows! The ones we have cover one side of the window which slide open/close. Given the choice of a house full of flies or looking at a view I know which I choose! Anyway, the mesh is so fine it barely obstructs the view.
Exactly!
Masterob/White Horse
Just to clarify, all windows have flyscreens/mosquito screens.
Z

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:13 pm

zanuck wrote:
White Horse wrote:Exactly!
Masterob/White Horse
Just to clarify, all windows have flyscreens/mosquito screens.
Z
Yes, we sometimes have a problem if the dog comes through and leaves the plastic fly chains open.
Other than that, your flies must be getting in somewhere, or breeding within the house somewhere.
Find the source and eliminate the problem, probably easier said than done, I appreciate that.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:27 pm

The dark coloured flys screens don't effect the view you forget they are there after a couple of mins, with those and the metal chains on the door holes you will have a fly free life when in doors hahaha!
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:24 pm

masterob wrote:[

Eh? What has the number of windows got to do with it?
If you had 70m2 of windows most of which are 2m high walk through ones you might think differently!

A fly swat takes care of the problem as far as we are concerned and the cats clear up the bodies overnight!

Sid

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 am

We use AGITA to kill flies. It's expensive but long lasting and can be bought at an agricultural store.

2 versions, granulated which can be put on a tray or soluble which can be painted onto surfaces.

Perfect solution for people with fincas.

We bought it late last year but interestingly since our neighbour's horse died (starvation) we no longer have a fly problem.