Rats - any advice appreciated

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
elscouser
Andalucia.com Amigo

Rats - any advice appreciated

Postby elscouser » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi all, I'm close to signing on a property. The downstairs part I inspected the other day ( no access to upstairs but still a useable space) it is where the water tank is situated. In the bathroom there is visible signs of excrement, large pellets too big for mice and in the water tank cupboard. I fear it is rats which I hear are quite common in empty properties. It's not a full campo property, it's on a small urbanizacion in the hills about 2km from the coast (chilches) I have a really bad phobia of rats and it's really putting me off. How easily is this problem solved and has anyone else had anything similar. My fear is that I'll turn up one day for my holiday and there will be one in there. I fear I may never be able to relax in there but the house is a good deal and I may kick myself if not for something that may be able to be solved really easily. Any advice would be really appreciated. Also any info r.e costs. Thanks in advance.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Rats - any advice appreciated

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi elscouser,

They may be Geckos droppings..............they are the good guys............ :D

Post some photos of the droppings we have Wild life experts on hand......... 8)

For Rats I use the Tunnel traps..........bigger versions on the mouse ones.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

elscouser
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elscouser » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:19 pm

Yeah someone said that. Thanks Enrique. Unfortunately the agents are on shutdown now so I won't be able to access the interior until I buy it. Any ideas if I can just pay someone to come in and get rid of them and source/block whatever access they are using to get in?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi,
Normally rats will be around if there is food about, or passing through and you have some plastic fittings, had one that took out the gas boiler and gnawed the plastic dials on a boiler, once set some traps he move on.

If the neighbours are well away then you probably only have Geckos.......

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:59 pm

I would think that it may be a good idea to find out for certain before you buy. if it is so important to you, people will not be lining up to buy it, so delay or find something that you will be 100% happy with, lots of bargains available, so don't rush you hold the money so therefore your the gaffer :) It Is a big decision, please don,t take it likely. :think:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:21 pm

Agree with Julie. Don't let the agent rush you into anything. Its still a buyers market. Your holding the folding so your in the driving seat.
If it is rats you could get a vermin guy out to set traps and monitor the situation for a few months to make sure there gone. My wife always puts the bog seat down and puts a bottle of bleach on it when we leave in case a rat comes up the sewer. Not sure this would stop one but it gives her peace of mind.

elscouser
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elscouser » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks guys,appreciate what you are saying but this is a genuine repossession 30k sterling bargain. I know I'll probably kick myself if I don't get it but I just need to sort these damn pests before I can feel positive/ comfortable about it all again!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:11 pm

Google rat droppings image

Google geckos droppings image

You will see the difference, rats normally go along runs, Geckos are random.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:27 am

Even if it has rats, they can be easily got rid of, either with traps or by poisoned bait.
I'd be far more bothered about whether the property has a licence of first occupation.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:31 am

No Old property has an LFO

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Depends what you mean by old, ashtondav, and incidentally, I can see little indication, from the posts so far, whether this property is old or new.

elscouser
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elscouser » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:50 pm

1975 house, nota simple etc all in place - thanks for the replies everyone, any further input appreciated. Cheers

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:30 am

A couple of feral cats living in the grounds will soon move on any unwanted visitors! The downside is that geckos, birds, chameleons and snakes will also be at risk. If you go down this route, please get them neutered, or you will have 24 cats within 2 years, plus many persistent suitors if female!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:36 am

I'd be wary of using poison if the rats are nesting in or close to the property. We used poison in an external workshop not knowing the rats were nesting under the floor, the stench was so bad the place couldn't be used for ages.

Mhic.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:02 am

mhic wrote:I'd be wary of using poison if the rats are nesting in or close to the property. We used poison in an external workshop not knowing the rats were nesting under the floor, the stench was so bad the place couldn't be used for ages.

Mhic.
Totally agree - we had rats in the roof so used poison but couldn't find all the bodies and the smell was unbelievable.
I'd lend you our rat catcher cat elscouser .... trouble is, she tends to bring them back into the house alive and we have spent many a happy hour in the middle of the night chasing a rat around the house :crazy:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:12 am

Mhic.[/quote] we have spent many a happy hour in the middle of the night chasing a rat around the house :crazy:[/quote]
Another downside I had forgotten about! :lol:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:22 pm

We had a rat living in our 'secret shed' (a space under some stairs & decking) - we bought a very snazzy trap from the local ferreteria, which came with its own bait pre-loaded.
On the second morning there was Ratty, firmly dead in the jaws of the trap :thumbup:
On the assumption that there is rarely only one rat, we put it down again that night - in the morning, no rat , and no bait either - those little reddish ants had scoffed the lot !!

We tried re-loading it with peanut butter - still no rat but the ants were very pleased :wink: - we think it must have been just the one rat...
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:37 pm

spent many a happy hour in the middle of the night chasing a rat around the house
Does Mr W know you refer to him as such ? :wink:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:48 pm

:clap: ohhh very funny Mr L :lol:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:50 pm

chrissiehope wrote: On the second morning there was Ratty, firmly dead in the jaws of the trap :thumbup

We tried re-loading it with peanut butter - still no rat but the ants were very pleased :wink: - we think it must have been just the one rat...
Roland has been absent from tv for some time,I wonder?