The Spanish Jigsaw Puzzle.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

The Spanish Jigsaw Puzzle.

Postby BENIDORM » Tue May 19, 2015 7:50 am

During my life I have solved many of life's problems by comparing them to completing a jigsaw, piece by piece,slowly and systematically.
Sometimes the puzzle has been finished very quickly, other times I've just not been able to fit the final pieces in the right order and the most difficult puzzle has been the 'Spanish Jigsaw Puzzle'.
Why ?....I hear you ask.
Well....nothing has ever been simple about solving even the simplest problems that seem to appear all of the time here in Spain.
Obviously language barriers ,different cultural ways and views play a big part in solving the puzzles and it can take a long time, but like a good intricate puzzle eventually you succeed, but it is a slow process and I've found that you have to be very patient.
So is it really worth putting yourself through all of the stress, anxiety etc.,and for me I have to say Yes, I'm not speaking for other people, probably others have very differing views.
Anyway, my Spanish Jigsaw Puzzle is now almost complete and many of the most troublesome pieces I now view as minor irritations, and I'm quite content and happy. :thumbup:
And now I'm looking for another 'project', another 'jigsaw' to solve and complete, I wonder what I will do next ? :think:
Good Luck to everyone who is just starting with their 'Spanish Jigsaw Puzzle'.
Regards,
Gordon

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: The Spanish Jigsaw Puzzle.

Postby Mariacristina » Tue May 19, 2015 8:26 am

An interesting way to look at the unexpected difficulties of living peacefully in Spain.

Yes, perhaps patience is the quality one needs most . . . and persistence. The frustration comes from the awareness that most of the delays and obstructions are completely unnecessary and largely caused by the indifference of the people being paid to resolve these issues. It took me four years and fifteen visits to my the Hacienda Locale office to get them to send me an IBI bill after I moved here. I am usually fairly placid but I once ended up banging out of their office in tears . . . and no one batted an eyelid!

Despite all that I love my life here, though it is certainly not roses all the way.

I think some new challenges will soon come our way without you having to go hunting for a new puzzle, Gordon. I have just been reading that Deutsche Bank are now seriously considering their response to the likelihood of the UK pulling out of the EU. I wonder, in practical terms, how that will affect those of us who live here permanently and are still trying to conform to existing nebulous rules and regulations.

We have a nice little river in the valley just below my house. What would be the implications of building a little island in the middle of it and declaring UDI? Would I need a drawbridge and a customs post?

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:49 am

I disagree with the sentiment posted so far.

In Spain, there is a law and a procedure for everything. Unfortunately, many people (both foreigners and Spanish) think that they can circumvent these procedures, in a "I want it now" attitude.

My partner is a Funcionario and so has to tolerate all the BS from the public all the time. Once you understand the process and the procedure, everything gets done in a correct manner.
Interestingly, he encounters exactly the same "problems" when he requires something doing as a "citizen".

So, sit back and enjoy the ride. For 4 years we're still fighting Agencia Tributaria with regard valuation of a property. We just respond to communication we receive in the clearly defined procedure and carry on to the next stage. It'll end eventually; In the meantime we just get on with our lives.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue May 19, 2015 9:11 am

Yes look on the bright side, it took them around 4 years to demolish the Priors and other houses :lol:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue May 19, 2015 6:42 pm

Mariacristina,
A good honest and balanced reply, Thank You.

Jhonie99,
Well of course there are always two sides to a story and there are always laws and procedures in every country, but first of all many of these laws etc. are antiquated and outmoded, particularly in Spain, I've found.
And then again it depends where in Spain you are and even which Town /Village you reside in ,as there are such varied ideas on how the laws etc are implemented by the so called 'funcionarios'.
Over the years I've had many dealings with the 'workers' in the various tax, town hall offices etc.,
and I've had good service and help from many and on the other hand I've come across many total idiots.
Some have been quite obnoxious , it seems some people have personality changes as soon as they are given a title or a position of power, but I've never suffered fools, never had to, so if they have been rude or unhelpful, I tell them so.
I do appreciate that from the other point of view the general public can be also trying and demanding, but I believe in a polite and well mannered approach and this way has served me well...in most cases !
May I wish everyone a pleasant and relaxing evening.
Regards,
Gordon