?anyone know when this heatwave might end?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

?anyone know when this heatwave might end?

Postby gavilan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:35 pm

it's far too hot to work in the garden ... am running out of things to do in the house ... cant sleep at night ... when is this heatwave going to end?!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: ?anyone know when this heatwave might end?

Postby costakid » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:37 pm

31st of august

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:40 pm

dont think i will be alive to see it then!!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:09 pm

It's not really a proper heat wave anymore - it's now caught up to the normal temperatures for this time of year.

It won't cool down significantly until September and it will probably get more humid - it usually does in August.

Sid

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:31 pm

Just for a laugh, I sat in last night with the gas fire on, after a day of continuous rain and evening temp was 11C. I'll put some in an envelope and send it down to you, gavilan!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:08 pm

White Horse I have heard it is somewhat cool in UK ... for once I am envious!!! so it's not now officially a 'heatwave' ... just normal temps for July ... so I need to adopt a different strategy to survive the next 6 weeks or so .. suggestions welcome!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:21 pm

H gavilan,

" so I need to adopt a different strategy to survive the next 6 weeks or so .. suggestions welcome!"

1) Sleep downstairs on the North side of your house
2) Sleep outside on terrace.......OH was doing this and had to use a Blanket the other night.
3) Garden between 06:30 and 09:30hrs...OH building a new garden shifting barrow loads of soil.. :shock:
4) Eat less food..two advantages...body will not heat up and you will lose weight.
5) Change your mind set about doing stuff in the house......there's always tomorrow...read a book.

:D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:04 pm

On another forum, totally alien to this one, there lurks a chap who lives near Mijas. In April he was chatting with a farmer on the morning dog follow who predicted that, once it started, it would be a long, hot summer, followed by a cool, wet winter.

We will see, part A seems bang on.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:17 pm

Hola

The honest answer is that you need to acclimatise. I moved here for the warmth and the sun and so far have not been disappointed. It is cold below 25C, and doesn´t get hot until 40C. I don´t complain about the temperature until it reaches 46C

It's all in the mind

Davexf

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:08 am

dfx - all in the mind? Try telling old people that you get used to being cold in winter. I am afraid to say that for some of us heat is a real problem. For me it is daytime temps over about 40 and sleeping temps of 26 and above.

Lyric- a farmer on the morning dog follow The mind boggles, however a wet winter would be a bonus.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:53 am

We can't even sit outside at night due to all the biting insects unfortunately, let alone sleep out there. Perhaps if we set up a mozzie net and got under it quickly before the insects it might work as it's definitely cooler out of doors than in. It is 30 degrees most of the time in the house but up to almost 33 in the living room at times with all the fans on night and day. We don't even try to do much in the summer as we also struggle in the heat like Olive. The flies this year are horrendous as well .... they obviously love this type of weather :thumbdown:

Gavilan what we have found works well is to put a fan on the bedroom windowledge at night. We have a slim box fan that sits easily on the ledge and it draws the cooler air into the house. We also have the ceiling fan on as well some nights to help circulate it, but it does work very well and feels almost like mild aircon.

I find it helps if you can acclimatize to the heat to a certain degree, but we don't enjoy it so extremely hot. I don't want aircon like friends have had where they sit indoors all day with everything shut up and the aircon full on. The moment they have to go outside they almost pass out with the heat and humidity.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:26 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful responses/suggestions ... I will try sleeping downstairs and placing the fan on a window ledge to draw in the night air ... like Wicksey I cannot sleep outdoors cos will just get bitten to pieces whatever deterrent oil or spray i use .... and to a certain extent I agree it is about trying to acclimatize rather than fight/complain about the heat ... in previous years the heat has not bothered me but this year is different ... ... I do try to read rather than do endless indoor jobs but also find I tend to fall asleep as the heat is soporific! ... and if I read at night, I find those tiny flies which get in thro the fly screens and gather round any light bulb, most unpleasant. But when I consider what summer is like in the UK at present, despite this heat, I would rather be here than there!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:26 pm

No one can aclimatize to extreme heat even the Spanish. A 30 yr old building worker died last week from heat stroke. But never mind you will all soon be coming on asking about chicken pellet burners whatever :lol:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:44 pm

Ok so it's raining in the UK now, and you don't know what tomorrow is like unless you look at the forecast, but we have had some lovely days.
Anyway,back to the old adage,the rain will do the garden good!
Rather be in UK than sweating my guts out in Spain
We came to Spain in feb and we shivered at night,UK is better as the houses are built properly and the ch is efficient.
I'll come in September when it's more friendly.
Last edited by Nimrod on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:46 pm

gavilan wrote: But when I consider what summer is like in the UK at present, despite this heat, I would rather be here than there!
What part of the UK are you refering to, the Hebrides :D has been really good weather for months until Friday when it threw it down. haven't had rain for weeks. Enough is enough though, raining today too.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:32 pm

katy ... son lives in Kindston upon Thames ... 14 degrees on Friday and 12 today ... and then there was White Horse comment earlier on this thread ...

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:33 pm

misspelling therein ... Kingston upon Thames ...

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:46 pm

According to the AA I live 2.8 miles from Kingston, in Teddington.
Less if I walk over the footbridge at Teddington Lock and take the scenic walk along the bank of the Thames.
The weather has been good here,albeit we've had the odd spell of rain which I think is most welcome.
Perhaps your relative expects every day to be sunny in a British summer?
He aint gonna get it!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:35 pm

gavilan wrote:katy ... son lives in Kindston upon Thames ... 14 degrees on Friday and 12 today ... and then there was White Horse comment earlier on this thread ...
Friday and today, nothing like cherry picking. :D no one mentioned the lovely weather for several week but second day of rain and it's on the forum. BTW I was at a summer party last night, in a garden until late :mrgreen:

Everyone in the world gets weather, noticed the rain from UK drifting over to France and Germany. Grandson just returned from fishing in Belize. He said the wind was dreadful all the time, suppose it was hot though. I have seen the wind ruin a party or two in Spain with food, plates blowing around.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Would be nice to have some rain. It was a dry winter and I cannot really remember the last time it rained here. One of the last photos I had taken when we lived in the UK is of me under an umbrella standing by our BBQ in August in the pouring rain :lol: I can remember having the central heating on in July and August at times which is pretty miserable when you have waited all year for the great British summer.
gavilan wrote:.... and to a certain extent I agree it is about trying to acclimatize rather than fight/complain about the heat ... in previous years the heat has not bothered me but this year is different
I agree this year seems worse as I think it started early. I'm sure last year I didn't feel the need to have a dip in the pool late at night in July as the evenings were much cooler. I think it has been pretty hot now for the last month. The Spanish weather man on TV said that he has been issuing heat warnings since 3 July.