Car Boots and Markets in Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Car Boots and Markets in Spain

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm frequently asked for my advice about all aspects of buying and selling on car boots and markets, so based on my own experiences and personal observations I will try to offer my thoughts and advice, but please use the information as a guide only, as some areas have different bye-laws etc.

First Markets.
Most markets in Spain are operated by local town halls on set days and to sell on them you are required to show proof that you are a registered business ( paying Social Security and having a valid licence from the tax authorities etc.)
So if you want to set up a business and attend as a trader you must apply to the local town halls that operate the markets, some you may be able to commence immediately ,others there will be a waiting list and some will let you attend as a casual if a regular trader is away.
The rents are quite reasonable for most and if you want to make a living as a market trader you really will need to attend as many different venues as possible.
I know a few expats who do make a reasonable living but some of them work 6 days on markets and even manage a car boot sale on a Sunday.
My personal opinion about creating a market business is a bit mixed ,however I do think that by offering the 'right' products at realistic prices you can make a living, and you have to remember that the Social Security payment is quite high,but I think that it actually represents good value as it will cover you and family for medical, pension rights etc.
The products that you offer must be good quality and with realistic prices and preferably different to what other traders are selling, and also it is very important to have stock that will appeal to local Spanish and Expats.
Be careful not to sell banned items such as 'copy' and fake designer/ sport items, the authorities will pounce very quickly and you will lose the stock and be fined.!
You will need a van and it must be insured correctly for carrying goods for sale and it is advisable to have your own public liability insurance.
Well that's the basic instructions and if you decide to 'have a go' please make sure that you do it correctly, it will be a slow process but don't try to 'cut corners'...it doesn't pay !

As for buyers attending markets, try to buy off the established traders and you do have the same rights as a buyer with regard to returns etc.
And although you may be able to negotiate better prices from the traders ,you may find that the old fashioned haggling is not so acceptable now, but certainly ask for a discount if you are buying multiple items.

Car Boot/ English Markets.

The rules for trading on car boots are quite different and although many are run by Expats as 'markets' they are in effect car boot sales.
The law for car booting is much the same as UK and other European countries, you can legitimately attend to sell once /twice a year to sell your own items that you no longer need, basically having a 'clear out' of sheds and attics.
You cannot sell items belonging to your friends etc. , but you can share a stall with someone else, and if you are selling on behalf of a charity you need to have written permission from the charity and ALL the proceeds must go to the charity, which must be a fully registered and recognised charity.

If you attend a car boot to sell on a regular basis then the same laws apply as for market trading, and if you purchase goods to sell then you are effectively a business and must comply with the market traders laws ( properly licenced etc)
I know people who have 'traded' on car boots for many years and got away without complying with any regulations, however I've been advised by a 'good source' that this is already changing.
For instance, I'm aware of a retired couple who recently were returning from a regular car boot when their car broke down on the motorway, and within a few minutes a Police patrol car stopped to assist, but the couples car was absolutely packed to the roof with stock and they had a dismantled market stall fastened to the roof rack, so the police men started to investigate them !.
They first of all radioed for a break-down truck to remove them from the motorway, then they checked out their car documents and quickly pointed out that their insurance policy didn't cover them for carrying goods for sale, so effectively they were not insured and the car was only registered for social/ domestic activities.
They also noted that the car was overloaded and dangerous and they asked if the couple had a licence to sell on markets, obviously they didn't and now the list of law breaking items was adding up.!
So to make a long story short, they were towed home and they had to pay as their policy was incorrect, and very fortunately they were only given a very strict warning not to carry on with their 'little business', and told that they could have had their car and contents confiscated and been faced with a very heavy fine.
I think that the police took into consideration the facts that they were elderly and Brits, coupled with the fact that they were called off to attend to a crash, I think that the couple got off very lightly and they have now stopped car-booting and gone into hiding !!.
I have also been told by a friend, who works in a Government office, that plain clothes police and investigators have been attending most car boot-market operations and taking notes who is selling and their cars and also photographing them, they are also checking out organisers and owners of the car boot/market sites to see if they have the correct licences and comply with local requirements regarding public liability. health and safety /Fire Regs.etc.
They apparently have English speaking officers checking out advertisments, web sites etc , so they are well aware of what's going on !

So to sum up...is it worth selling as a regular trader on a car boot ?...In my opinion 'Not on your Nelly' unless you have a Death Wish.! but of course if you are 'fully legal'..go for it .. :lol:
As for buying on car-boots, which I've always enjoyed, well you run the risk of buying damaged or faulty items that could be stolen or fake and you don't have any rights to return or refund.
Well I've ended up writing a book, and I could go on for a few more chapters...but won't..!

But I hope that this may help a few people from making mistakes and if you have any other questions , then please ask I might know the answer or a man who can help..
Regards,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car Boots and Markets in Spain

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:03 pm

I've had 3 potential 'market traders' contact me last night, understandably they wanted to keep their business matters private, but all said that they appreciate all of the information available on the forum. :thumbup:

They had numerous questions to ask and I was able to give a reasonable answer to most.
One question they all asked was 'Which are the best markets/ car boots to trade on ?, and that it something I couldn't really answer.
So can any of you assist ?

As the forum members live all over Andalucia it would be most helpful if you could add your thoughts and information about the venues in your area.
Days/dates ,times and your general opinions of what's on offer and how well run they are...Your input will be much appreciated !

Regards,
Gordon

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:04 pm

La Cala Del Moral on a friday. Good for fruit and veg. No Brits on there at all.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:45 pm

Benidorm
Excellent explanation!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:39 am

Costakid,
Thank you for your input, and I would be most grateful if anyone else can offer thoughts on maybe good markets/car boots for a 'newbie' to start up on...

Avellana,
Thank you for your most kind words, Much appreciated !

And I hope that the sun is shining in your life....

Regards,
Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:52 am

Almunecar has a big "commercial" market every Friday and a flea market on Sunday.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q ... gws_rd=ssl

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Sid,
Thank you , just the sort of info I need to pass on :thumbup:
Regards,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:19 am

I've been asked many questions and been able to answer most or pass them on to a 'man who can '....

One point that was raised several times was 'Do you think that Market Trading is viable as a means to earning a reasonable living in Spain ? '

Well my answer has to be Yes, however it is really up to the individual as to how much time and effort they are prepared to put into their venture.
It is hard work and can be quite depressing at times when the buyers are thin on the ground, but usually the good days outweigh the bad days, but you do require plenty of 'staying power'.!
What I would suggest is that traders supplement their market trading with a website and other forms of online trading such as e-bay, a well produced leaflet in Spanish and English handed out at markets will generate business and show customers that you are a serious trader.
Anyway..I'm happy to keep answering questions ..if I can.. :wave:

And don't forget....Do it legally..it's worth it in the long run....

Regards,
Gordon

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:23 pm

What puzzles me is how traders get away with selling medicines ( paracetamol, ibuprofen etc) at a 'british' traders market, as I thought medication was only able to be sold in a pharmacy.
I was once in a Spanish market, I picked up a film to look at ( off a blanket on the floor) a policeman appeared in sight, the blanket was snatched up and the trader rushed off,leaving me with the film in my hand! :lol: I watched it that night, it was a Harry Potter film, it was so out of focus I was glad I had not paid for it!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:16 am

OV1,
I have always understood that it is illegal to sell this type of medications from a market stall, and I've also seen many items like this on full view and for sale.
I've also seen alcohol and tobacco/ cigs. on sale and large knives and swords and machetes on sale however I'm not clear on the Spanish law about the latter.
I had a 'word' with my 'contact' and he advised me that the authorities are starting to clamp down on what is sold at markets, they are very keen on counterfeit products, as displayed with your seller of DVD's.CD's !
Culprits face having all of their stock, car etc. impounded and receiving a heavy fine. :shock:

Regards.
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:33 am

I'm 'reviving' this thread because this past month I've had at least a dozen people contact me about selling on car boots/ markets, so maybe the details written previously will help...

I would add that it really is important to be aware of the laws and rules with regard to 'trading' and please remember that the rule of thumb in most countries is that if you sell your own personal surplus /unwanted items then it is acceptable to attend maybe 2 or 3 times a year, but if you buy ,make or produce an item then you are effectively a business and must adhere to the correct procedures or possibly face having large fines or your car being impounded, and it does happen. :(
From my 'sources' I'm told that the most vulnerable car boots/ markets at the moment are the inland sites, probably because they are smaller and easier to monitor by the authorities.

For buyers , beware because there are still many counterfeit goods on offer and you could be stopped and have the items confiscated and also be wary about buying electrical goods, both secondhand and 'returns' ..they could be lethal..
So for both sellers and buyers ..enjoy your 'day out'..but be wary.... :wave:
Regards,
Gordon....