yet more wells being drilled!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
olive
Andalucia Guru

yet more wells being drilled!

Postby olive » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:00 pm

We have a local bore hill drilling company and they are working flat out drilling from dawn till way past dusk seven days a week( saw one still being drilled at gone 11.30p.m) The only light on was a feeble small light illuminating the drill head.

Talked to a local Spanish farmer friend and the scenario is fairly simple. Rather than hand over tax, the farmer can improve his land by infrastructure (e.g. irrigation which can double the yield on olives) or ripping out old trees and planting new. A no brainer. Most have already acquired the latest farm machinery and mothballed perfectly good kit into an almacen never to be used again. In our area about one in three new bore holes comes up with water. Whilst the first year or so will be fine , from experience they tend to drop off in subsequent years.

If they hit water all they need to do is connect to an existing electricity supply they might have or invest in a small solar panel array. Some control gear ( to have the pump working if water is present) and buried pipework passing the trees and job done. Apart from a solar panel ( and they blend in very well amongst trees ) there is often very little evidence. I would bet good money that none are going through the proper channels e.g. local town hall mining permission, small works and definitely not going through Hidrographia. In the past anything without the correct permissions got rejected by the local Power company for a new meter and connection. This was an effective form of control. Solar panels does away with that check.

Does it matter? Not to me personally so long as our drinking water supply isn't compromised but I think it is an environmental issue. The Junta de Andalucia must know it is going on. Town halls are losing potential revenue, Hidrographia have lost control of the situation, we tax payers are paying for these wells. There isn't an infinite amount of water in the ground or maybe there is!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: yet more wells being drilled!

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:25 pm

Olive,
I share your concern regarding the excessive and probably illegal drilling, driven by greed or survival or maybe a bit of both ?

I can't understand the mentality of people who have no concerns for the planet and continue to abuse the environmental balance...

Did you see the reports about fracking in North Yorkshire..?
Lots of protesters arrested, I don't personally belong to any organisations like Greenpeace etc, I'm just a concerned human worrying about what we are leaving behind for our off-spring.....
Regards,
Gordon

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:15 am

I am Rapt, nothing else to say !!

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:20 pm

Had to look that one up!!!