Replacement doors and windows: PVC, Aluminium or Wood ... and Persianas or not ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
AndyLucyOne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Replacement doors and windows: PVC, Aluminium or Wood ... and Persianas or not ?

Postby AndyLucyOne » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:58 am

What are the pros and cons for replacing external doors and windows with PVC ones, Aluminium ones or wooden ones ?
... cost (buying and installing), practicality, maintenance, security, looks, sun/shade and hot/cold insulation ... maybe also any planning or permissions considerations

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Replacement doors and windows: PVC, Aluminium or Wood ... and Persianas or not ?

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 am

I would say UPVC with built in persianas. The blinds are good for keeping out the sun and the worst of winter weather. I would think that wooden windows would be very expensive and as our very first house had them I know they needed constant varnishing and maintenance as they got older. The sun damages wood over time meaning they needed a lot more work to try to keep them looking good (and fitting, as they expanded in the heat and shrunk in the cold).

maureenscot
Resident

Re: Replacement doors and windows: PVC, Aluminium or Wood ... and Persianas or not ?

Postby maureenscot » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Also look at fitted made to measure mozzie blinds if you are considering new windows and doors

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:05 pm

If you have big windows you should consider a safety persiana with break-in resistance. Makes burglary much more difficult.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:23 pm

I have re-installed both aluminium and upvc to replace the wooden windows i
I installed when we first arrived in Spain.
The Aluminium windows have proved more durable but they do get condensation on the frames when it's really cold. UPVC have shown no condensation but have sagged slightly (over 10 years) .
Stay away from anything wooden....it cannea take the heat!
Roller Persianas are good but do reduce height.
External Rejas are a waste of time in 2017 other than for aesthetic reasons. (or if you have an attractive daughter!) :D

AndyLucyOne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyLucyOne » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:02 am

Thank you for your comments.

I think wood is traditional and looks quaint-Spanish, but termites have eaten all my frames, leaving behind only a crinkly 'tape' of paint and varnish and no wood structure left, so I feel I have an excuse for appearing a philistine and going for a more modern material (plus how come wood is most expensive ?? and needs the most annual maintenance).

I have an aluminium door, which is OK, but rattles like a farm gate, so I'm lured by UPVC, which should fit together most snugly, and not look too bad with the whitewashed walls. Plus there seem to be more options with UPVC for how you can open doors and windows. I like the idea of the roller-blinds, too, which could be loosely closed ouside open windows in the full sun to let some air and a little light through while reflecting the fiercest sun. Sounds much more practical.

Do you need any planning permission to replace windows and doors, particularly if you opt for a different material than was used before or can you just go ahead and replace anythng ?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 am

You could ask your neighbours if they've changed theirs and may depend on if you are in the town, campo or on an urbanisation. Everyone I know who has carried out this sort of work (and more) has just done it without consulting the town hall, I must admit.

Wood of any sort is very expensive here, whether it is for outside jobs or for doors, windows beams etc. You could get the wood effect UPVC rather than white if it suits the house better. I would certainly have persianas if they will fit into the opening as they are part of the window frame. They are good for keeping out the cold and rainstorms too.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:59 am

AndyLucyOne wrote: I like the idea of the roller-blinds, too, which could be loosely closed ouside open windows in the full sun to let some air and a little light through while reflecting the fiercest sun. Sounds much more practical.

Do you need any planning permission to replace windows and doors, particularly if you opt for a different material than was used before or can you just go ahead and replace anythng ?
When we first moved to Spain, we too thought it was a good idea to keep windows open in the full sun to let some air into the house. We soon learned that as the air outside is much hotter than inside, it's better to keep windows and shutters closed during the heat of the day and open them all up once the sun goes down. The opposite applies in winter, of course, keep windows open during the daytime when it's sunny and close them up as soon as the sun sets.

Strictly speaking you are supposed to apply for a Licencia de Obras Menores (Minor Works Licence) for changing windows or doors, but as Wicksey said many people don't bother and no action is ever taken about it. It largely depends on the policies of your local Council and the attitude of your neighbours - will anybody complain if you do the work and don't have a licence? If you live in an area designated as being of historical importance there may be stricter regulations about what type of windows/doors you are allowed to have. There were in the area I used to live in, for all new projects where a licence was applied for, windows had to be either of wood or have the appearance of wood (like UPVC).

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45 pm

For UPVC & aluminium windows & doors, you can also get a grant, providing a) you fulfil certain criteria’s b) the government has some spare money!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:38 am

I was told when doing my project that the PVC not suitable in Spain hot climate so i have aluminium but i got a good though expensive iroko teak front door...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 pm

"
I think wood is traditional and looks quaint-Spanish, but termites have eaten all my frames, leaving behind only a crinkly 'tape' of paint and varnish and no wood structure left"

You have part answered your own question there. True wood looks nice but the metal ones are a better bet. Lots of opening options and bult in persianas.

IF you had/have termites what else have they eaten?