English language books

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

English language books

Postby Ricasso » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:17 am

Amazon.es seems to be insanely expensive. Does anybody know anywhere in the Malaga region you can get normally-priced English language books?

Thanks

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: English language books

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:48 am

Religious persuasions aside try your local English speaking church group or Expats club, they usually have lots of donated books and will be priced around €1.50-2.00.
I can easily read 2-3 books per week so no way will I ever pay for new ones, you can also find lots of books in large hotels if you're brazen enough and have a small backpack with you, wink wink :-)

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:54 am

Dont know where you are but charity shops always have a lot

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:56 am

A lot of the charity shops in Torre del Mar sell second hand books on all subjects, at prices between 50 c - 2 euros. APARiv, AAR are two animal charity shops that heave a good selection. The Lux Mundy centre by the bus station has over a 1000 titles at 3 for 1 euro !
Hardworking resident !!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:11 pm

If you’re looking for new, rather than second hand http://www.bookdepository.com ship free to Spain and have a huge range at good prices
AlisonB

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:38 pm

At Huge prices !!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 pm

Yes, silly prices. I want Rick Steins new book.

€21 on Amazon Spain, €31 on Book Depository. Both are more than Amazon UK where it is £10. Almost worth getting a friend in UK posting it to you!

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Sid, consider this a mild culinary handslapping :-) whilst you may WANT Rick Steins new book, trust me he's a lightweight fly by night, what you NEED is the new book by Karlos Arguinano who is a true visionary and exponent of Spanish cuisine :-)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:06 pm

I am familiar with his books and have many other excellent books on Spanish cooking and certainly don't want any more as I already cook many Spanish traditional dishes - not the touristy rubbish you get served in most restaurants down here..

I am interested in Steins new book which is about Mexican cooking which is a cuisine I need more experience with.

Sid

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:21 pm

I prefer the dvds. I play them over and over. Venice to Istanbul is brilliant. Loads of cooking and history and meeting the locals

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:36 pm

El Cid wrote:I am familiar with his books and have many other excellent books on Spanish cooking and certainly don't want any more as I already cook many Spanish traditional dishes - not the touristy rubbish you get served in most restaurants down here..

I am interested in Steins new book which is about Mexican cooking which is a cuisine I need more experience with.

Sid
Hi Sid, as a professional cook, in my experience, 50 years or so, I have always believed that in order to present the correct dishes one needs to be born to it ie, proper chinese food can only be cooked by indigenous chinese people, the same goes for French, Italian and Scandinavian dishes (which are my speciality) although I'm Mancunian, So, Rick Stein can only offer an approximate substitute ! as can I,
Might I suggest that you try to find something by Carlos Gayton, a renowned Mexican chef who actually has a Michelin star, he plies his trade from Chicago and I have never eaten his food but I do know a couple of young guys in Grand Cayman who have worked under him and worship him, check him out !!
Last edited by Manchesteral on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my previous post that the young guys I know in Grand Cayman are Mexican and work really hard to offer authentic dishes, their Fish tacos are absolutely to die for and I do not give praise easily !

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks for all your input but I managed to contact the author of the book i wanted and he found it advertised much cheaper on Amazon.es. Don't know how but I was guided to the silly priced books!!
Ricasso,
Axarquía

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:08 pm

As above, charity shops and car boot sales for second hand "foreign" language books.

Now that mums gone dad doesn't want her books, so I've got about 2000 paperbacks to donate to a charity shop.

As for new books, Amazon is ok, I remember buying her a "new" * (read but grade a) books from a seller on eBay, that was a well priced and posted to Spain.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.