"tu" or "su"

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: "tu" or "su"

Postby katy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:59 am

The most common used as a greeting is Buenas be it morning or evening.
Que pasa is often said as Que te pasa. I would only use Que te pasa contigo in a kind of confrontational way if someone was being unreasonable. eg. OH :wink:

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:56 am

buenas dia(s) tardes etc is my usual greeting
i get so many different greetings in return i am wonder if i am a bit of a bore
this is the reason i ask here

mucho gracias...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:25 pm

I suppose there are regional versions. On the CDS Que hay is used a lot as opposed to que tal.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:45 pm

When passing on a walk, we are often confronted with "adios" - no hello, how are you, see you later, just Goodbye ... but then it really is a short version of "go with God" so for passing by, it probably works !
Another one is "VAMOS" said with lots of emphasis and good cheer - when the vamos-er is not coming with you, so it is to you, not us/we, but it seems to indicate approval of what you are doing, and encouragement to go ahead - with the walk, the car-drive, whatever!
In shops, joining a queue at the doctors, or anywhere else it is just "Buenas" - no dia, tarde, noche, or other, and no pleural - just Buenas ...
Try them out - have fun!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:32 am

Gasman,
You hit it right-on as its the banter i am talking of and it is just warm friendly greeting and approval.
I thought i should up my game a little in response which is why i ask.
I just interested in the views here.

many thanks...

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:00 pm

wollie wrote:This is a slight related question...
Which is the best "buena dia" greeting?
I go for a walk most mornings and because it is the same people most mornings i get so many different greetings i find it confusing.
I just interested in the views of the experts here....
I guess as long as you are not getting "two fingers", anything goes !

anyroads

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Anyroads - dont know where you walk, but here in rural Huelva province an awful lot of people pop up from behind hedges, lean out of car windows, and stop you on entry to the bank, breadshop, post office, and give a cheery ADIOS or BUENAS - no more is needed as they really dont want to get involved in a complicated conversation with a foreigner but it all goes to make life that little bit more pleasant.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:27 pm

peteroldracer wrote:"'Like' is really difficult verb to translate "
Listening to young Brits in the UK on tv they would be totally lost without the word in English as it is used repeatedly, idiotically and uneccessarily!
They have however caught the old Spanish habit of starting most sentences with "pues", using "So"!
This in Spanish is ‘en plan’ and is used by young people. I don’t use this meaning of ‘like’ in English but I encourage young students to use it in exams so they sound more natural.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:08 pm

[quote="Gasman"]Anyroads - dont know where you walk, but here in rural Huelva province an awful lot of people pop up from behind hedges,

I have heard of people like that !.

But I walk on the side of angels...

anyroads