buying a new car now requires registerinng on padron?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

buying a new car now requires registerinng on padron?

Postby gavilan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:57 pm

A friend of mine is in the process of buying a new car ... the secondhand car dealer told him he would need evidence of registration on the empadronamiento ... ?is this a recent requirement? ... and from my reading of previous threads here, you can't get the padron papers until you have completed residencia application ... ?have I got that right? ... (if this has all been discussed before, my apologies and please would someone direct me to appropriate threads) ...

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: buying a new car now requires registerinng on padron?

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:06 pm

You have always, well certainly in the 14 years I have lived here, needed to be registered on the padron to buy a car.
The car details are sent to the town hall that issued the padron so that they can charge the car owner with the appropriate annual car tax.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:12 pm

I bought my car 6 years ago and was not asked for padron details ... ?maybe it depends where you live/which town hall is involved?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:14 pm

A friend had this situation recently. Although Trafico on the web do not say you need one, Trafico in Malaga insisted on it and as, (for various reasons) she did not want to apply for the padron, the sale fell through. I spoke to a gestor in Granada province who said that in Granada they "might" accept copies of utility bills in the name of the buyer.

Sid

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:23 pm

...looks like it depends on where you live/which province ...
also ... ?is it correct that one must become resident before being able to register on the padron?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 pm

Most towns are happy to put anyone on the Padron, especially non residents as they often accounts for a very significant percentage of their property owners. It's more likely that you will be asked for a Padron certificate when applying for residency.

Of course some may decide to do it the other way round. It's a Spanish Pollo y Huevo situation!

Sid

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 pm

it seems to me that so often it (whatever ''it' is) all depends on where one lives ... which TH or gestor is involved ... or even which car dealer one is negotiating with !!!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:22 pm

I've bought 3 cars here over 18 years and we needed to show an up to date padron certificate for each one. They were all bought through dealerships etc, not a private purchase. As with most things here, there doesn't seem to be a set rule for everyone. We had to register with the padron in order to buy a car within a couple of weeks of moving here and we didn't register for residency until some time after. (Nerja wants everyone who spends just a few months here to register on the padron and says you don't need to be a resident but do need to have an NIE)

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Legally i dont believe they require a padron. Only proof of address like bills etc. But most seem to ask for the padron as its the obvious thing not realising alot of buyers maybe second home owners from overseas.
Nie and rental contract/ownership here to get the padron

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 pm

I've purchased numerous cars during my time in Spain in three different Provinces and have never been asked for Padron details, however I guess that it really depends on the law interpretation in different places.....nothing changes... :D

Regards,
Gordon...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:25 am

For what it's worth, this is what the law actually says.

If the applicant is a foreigner, they must present a Residency Card as well as a declaration of ownership of other vehicles registered in Spain, or a Spanish driving license of which they are or would have been, or the provincial registration number of foreign drivers, if any.

In the case of foreigners who do not have a Residence Card, they will present the identity document of the country of origin, if they are citizens of States party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA), or Passport or Certificate of Nationality if it is of citizens of third countries, and also justify their domicile in Spain through any document that proves it, such as the ownership or rental of a home, or be registered in a municipality.

So, although the Padron is mentioned, there should be other documents that "should" be acceptable.

Sid

Chris172

Postby Chris172 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:55 pm

I, just a week ago, collected a brand new car and just gave them a copy of my Suma to confirm my address so as to register it. I’m also not a resident but do have a property and an NIE though.
I’m not in Andalucia but in the Alicante area.
I guess the different regions have different rules and regulations.
Soon to be a resident though in Jimena

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:49 pm

In Estepona they do occasional drives to register people because the numbers on the Padron dictate number of fire stations and medical clinics and the like. They often set up a table in areas frequented by foreigners like Sunday Markets to persuade people to register.

I know that many foreigners do not register as they wish to fly under the radar, but that may well disadvantage UK citizens when Brexit happens.