Air Conditioning fitted

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gerrynag
Resident

Re: Air Conditioning fitted

Postby gerrynag » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Under European Law the handling and use of refrigerant gases can only be carried out by a qualified technician, who must have an F.Gas certificate and be on the F.Gas register. Similar to gas fitters in UK being on the Safe Gas register.
In other words, you can't do it yourself.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:57 pm

I don't think that regulation existed 12 years ago when I fitted them myself. Or if it was I strongly suspect it was mainly ignored here in Spain at that time.
The units came pre gassed so there wasn't any handling of refrigerant gases.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:21 pm

No, the regs only came into existance about 4 or 5 years ago. I believe even if already pre-gassed, that you still need to be F-Gas registered if fitting air-con. The regs apply in the UK as well as over here.

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Restrictions are there to reduce the likelihood of the gases being accidentally (or otherwise) discharged into the atmosphere.
Gases from old units are supposed to be collected by evacuation, before scrappage, and new units (or those being re-gassed from empty) should have the air in them removed by thorough evacuation before new refrigerant gas is put in. Brand new pte-gassed units avoid this by being coupled together and valves opened.
Chris