none residents

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: none residents

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:09 am

Yes, food prices and none food items are not as cheap as they once were, we buy much of our fruit and veg from a local warehouse and it works out cheaper to buy in for a week.They weigh everything together on a floor scale.Sometimes i have to still go to the fruiteria if certain items at the warehouse are not as i would like them to be, for example OH hates ripe tomatoes, he prefers them to be very hard and slightly orange..The ripe ones get thrown in with the cooking.
Jogger and I1bassleft are much closer to the coast than us, we are at least an hr and a quarter from the nearest beach and that would be Motril or Almeria, probably Almeria would be closer by a few miles.There is a man made beach at a lake near Baza which is about a good half hrs drive which i have yet to visit, one day we will get round to it.
On the quest of eating out, rarley do we actualy go out with the intention of ordering a meal, OH likes tapas and they come free of charge, a couple of drinks and he's fed.. :lol:

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:46 pm

Pamela, there is that "nasty biting beasties" thread. Just as I was feeling past the worst, I've got one overnight. I mention it because inland manmade beaches can be a home-from-home for them. We had a wander around one at Narbonne on our way down and, if CCTV were there, I would have looked like I was auditioning for Edward Norton's part in Fight Club. This relatively mild summer seems to have made it the worst year for a long time so maybe you want to get around to Baza another time. I got quite attached to Lago Vinuela for a while and popped over at all seasons a few years back, expecting to be eaten alive in August but I wasn't. I've got a feeling that this year might be different (interested, if anyone has spent an afternoon there this summer).

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:06 pm

Oh no! well if that's the case then i will be keeping away from the lake at Baza...I suffer enough with the mozies so any other type of insect is bound to have a go at my skin..I apply deet, hate the smell of it and glad it's kept the mozies at bay. I never used to suffer with bites at all until one year we went to Ibiza and 58 bites later!!!! :shock: since that time i have always been a target for them and the bites drove me mad. They were especially bad on the coast and when we left to go inland i seemed to be safe but even that has changed...The person we bought our property from told me she had been bitten as she was walking through the grape vines and she was wearing sunglasses, her face swelled up rather quickly and the doc had to break the glasses off her face.. Do any other forum members suffer? Hubby has never been bitten, lucky man.

CielodeCadiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby CielodeCadiz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:01 pm

TorreDelAguila wrote:Gas appliances left unused for long periods, especially if the cylinder regulator has been disconnected, and the gas pipe run to the appliance is long, can be difficult to get lit/started. The long pipe can fill with air, and it can take up to a minute for it to refill with an igniteable concentration of gas.

b]

Gas boilers here in Spain have a somewhat dismal record, although there are good brands. Long periods on non-use (absences, hot summers...) don't help.
Yes, we anticipate 24 hours before the gas "rises" from the bomba so that the on-demand water heater will function.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:26 am

Sorry, Pamela - looked like I ignored you. I hadn't seen a follow-up until Cielode's post about the gas. Did you find the thread I mentioned on the biters? I thought they'd gone now but Devil's Advocate wrote up about his return drive to UK very recently and his wife got one. I don't get many, but they do swell up and then have that red-crackled-skin look. If Vinuela is anything to go by, Baza might be fine if next summer is the standard hot and dry. It was just abnormally cool (by the usual standards) this summer and they were present in numbers I haven't seen for decades.

Speaking of gas, I took pity on Mrs 1bl wrapped like a cracker (she's always a little cracker to me) watching Netflix (I just loaded it yesterday and she's binging) so I put the Calor on. Only a little wheely thing needed for our place. Definitely been a cooldown in the last couple of days.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:43 am

Yes, I felt sorry for OH this time. Would love to know what the culprits were. She reckons horse flies but I'm not sure.

Yes the mossies were about, annoying little stingy bites that don't really affect me, if they do a spray of that Jungle stuff eases it straight away.

However the Mrs was different. Yes she got the mossie bites but every so often I'd hear a "Aggghh". This was the problem insect we never saw. A sting like a wasp. Pin **** of blood, then a red circle about 1" diameter, followed by an outer spread of up to 3 to 4 inches of pink after an hour or so. You could never tell what had done it.

One bite then on the outer area started to look bruised, ie going black so I took her to the medico centre where they gave her a steroid cream to apply. She probably got 4 of these during the stay and suffered a bit I have to say.

As an aside though what could have been a worse happening had a really surprising outcome.

She was ironing a top that had come out of a case to hang up in wardrobe. Flimsy Spanish ironing board wobbled and iron went to fall off.
Instinct took over and she "caught it" with her forearm before it hit the floor............ouch!!!

I shuddered and looked through my fingers at it, straight away an angry wide burn 3 inches long was visible.

We luckily had a load of various ice packs in a freezer which we applied straight away but it was really hurting by now.
Weather was hot still and we changed these packs every half hour, burn was going worse, forming the blister by now and throbbing.

We then put a burn spray on it from the medical box, however still throbbing and looking angry.
We googled and Aloe Vera was mentioned. Mrs then realised she had a tube of this too and she applied it.

It was then she said "We've got real Aloe Vera plants outside". The cream soothed a bit but not much.
She pointed out which plants were Aloe, (all look the same to me lol) and I cut a thick piece off a leaf.

She peeled it and applied it. Absolutely unbloodybelievable. Stinging/pain stopped instantly when applied, like a thick jelly skin covered burn.
I did not think we'd be going out that evening but she said burn now felt fine. Applied more before we went out and more when we got home.

Next morning burn was neutralised 100% and causing no issues. Blistering gone, pain gone the lot, just the red mark to show for it.

It never bothered her again. I'm not in to herbal remedies and voodoo but this worked I swear it. This burn could have been an issue for a couple days without doubt but this remedy nailed it.

I wonder if they use this in burn cases in hospitals? Truly amazing.
Anyone else experienced this?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:30 am

We still use it in UK. have a largish plant, kept inside in winter. Great for lots of things, soothes bruised areas too. Takes away the sting if nettled in the garden. I also buy Banana Boat brand aloe vera gel, first used it as an after sun but now use it almost daily on my face, takes away any eye puffiness and firms the skin. better than any expensive creams.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:20 pm

OH says many thanks for that tip Katy. She's picking a bottle up whilst she's in town this afternoon. Cheers!! Reviews on it do seem incredible.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 pm

Ps. I am now using the skin care one...helps moisturise and soften skin etc. :thumbup:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:30 pm

Ahh, I could only see one.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:24 pm

1bassleft wrote:Sorry, Pamela - looked like I ignored you. I hadn't seen a follow-up until Cielode's post about the gas. Did you find the thread I mentioned on the biters? I thought they'd gone now but Devil's Advocate wrote up about his return drive to UK very recently and his wife got one. I don't get many, but they do swell up and then have that red-crackled-skin look. If Vinuela is anything to go by, Baza might be fine if next summer is the standard hot and dry. It was just abnormally cool (by the usual standards) this summer and they were present in numbers I haven't seen for decades.

Speaking of gas, I took pity on Mrs 1bl wrapped like a cracker (she's always a little cracker to me) watching Netflix (I just loaded it yesterday and she's binging) so I put the Calor on. Only a little wheely thing needed for our place. Definitely been a cooldown in the last couple of days.
Didn't think you were ignoring me, so don't worry i won't bite your head off. :lol:
At the moment i'm at our house up in the Granada hills and tonight i think i'm safe from the mossy bites as it's quite cool.
We arrived in the rain but it's been better today, the house felt really cold and it's the first Oct hubby lit the log burner..Useless thing it is, all the heat goes up the chimney and depending which way the wind blows the door can't be opened for smoke pouring out.Today i noticed smoke coming from the top of it along the front corners, looks like a new fire or maybe see if it can be repaired..Think we will have to invest in one of your wheely calor things for a quick fix of heat. :) :thumbup:

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:13 am

The butano got wheeled out again for the first time since I last wrote in this thread. My son is coming, so the temps are set to plummet for the duration. One bar is enough, and only for a couple of hours, and only because Mrs 1bl likes light + sleeveless (as do I, but I can take even single-digit Celsius in one layer).

Our ceiling fan has a reversible action. We haven't used it yet but, if the fire is on for a few hours, the reverse direction does help to draw the warmer air back down before it uselessly heats up the ceiling. Convection currents.