Living Permanently in a Mobile Home ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Living Permanently in a Mobile Home ?

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:50 pm

Not that unusual. I once saw a “camper van” on a campsite in Italy. It was about 40ft long and carried a Range Rover inside as their shopping vehicle, plus a couple of boats and an oak panelled driving cabin.

Most camper vans are built on a van/lorry chassis with full headroom. This is the top of the range https://youtu.be/-6RdmEinhhI

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 pm

Centrinin wrote:
elusive wrote:I can understand if you have very little money and buy a bottom of the range type mobile home for 20-30k but on the chan 5 programe there was a couple spending 50k on one. You could prob buy a house for that sort of money up there. I guess people like it cause its a little britain with everything they need in one place. I hate to think how clicky it is though. Its bad enough in spanish villages etc with a uk population and all the clicky in groups that just sit around drinking etc. So a place where its just brits in a condensed area like a campsite..
I checked a page with flats in Andalucia for sale and sorted the results from the lowest up. The cheapest that I could see was an apartment in Malaga for 105K, so I don't know, I have to see the mobile home they bought against 50K. If it's at least equally comfortable and provide all the amenities they need...I guess one could go for a mobile home easily, especially if they'll be using it to live two months in Andalucia, one month in Madrid, another in Barcelona and so on. Otherwise, if they're going to rest fixed at one spot, you're absolutely right - if you can afford it, buying that flat would be a much better investment and something you could leave to your children.

Around and in antequera (not far from the campsite shown) there is alot of cheap property. 50 plus k

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:58 pm

First I must apologise for my absence in following up this thread. :oops:

Thank you everyone for your input and it is very much similar to my own thoughts.
I can understand someone moving to Spain and wishing to live in a mobile home surrounded by a British community and having the security comfort blanket, however my friends have been in Spain quite some time and I did suggest that they looked at a downsized property which I know are available for around 50,000 euros, much as others have indicated.
The actual cost of owning a 'real' property is low and the running costs are much lower than living on a mobile home site....so really 'no-brainer'.

Thank you everyone for your help and I'll pass on your info to my friends.

Regards,
Gordon

Centrinin

Postby Centrinin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:39 pm

wollie wrote:This is slightly off-topic but it is what i have seen.
One of the best ideas i seen in Spain was a rigid truck turned to a camper This was a very high end job and it had everything, one bedroom apartment with kitchen shower and all modern appliances.
I do not know what the laws as regards to parking but it seemed to me that these people were wandering around and used camp-sites to get rid of waste and top up with water etc.
If i had thought of this idea before i bought i would have went for it, it was basically a small house on wheels as distinct from camper as it had full celing height.

Good luck
Was it a regular truck that people use to transport stuff like onions, potatoes etc. or one of the really long ones (I believe they are called flatbeds) which are used in international road transportation? If it's the second, you're right, those things can be very spacious but from what I've heard buying one of those is very costly too since it's a commercial tool.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:32 pm

It was regular truck you mention, i am guessing it was about 20ft long with a rack in the back for scrambler etc, it basically looked like a refrigerated rigid truck well painted camouflage grey. It was very well done and would be expensive but if it being used as a holiday home likely a very economical option. The windows were kinda head height horizontal strips from inside so light coming in but no intrusion of either people looking out or in.
It really did impress me and i did wish i had thought of this option...