How to get a final statement for closed bank account

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
tjtops
Resident

How to get a final statement for closed bank account

Postby tjtops » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Hi all .....
I don't live in Spain now (but still visit frequently) and have had a Banco Sabadell for about 10 years. I recently closed it (11 Feb) having forgotten that I'd given it as the account into which to make a certain payment. Long story short, I don't know whether the payment was made or not, and they (Sabadell) keep telling me they 'don't have access' to a final statement' or even my details any more! I can't believe my whole existence has been wiped from the system or that they don't still have the information somewhere, but has anyone any idea how I can get them to release it?
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: How to get a final statement for closed bank account

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Would it help your case if you just asked them for a printed and posted (to you) the most recent statement of your account ?

Do you have to pay an annual (non resident) fee ?

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi ... that's exactly what I requested (or emailed)!!!
This is what's making me so mad.... they are claiming the information is 'unavailable' ........ I know full well that if they thought I owed THEM money, it would jolly well be available!!!
And yes I've paid the non-res fee for the last 8 years....

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:08 pm

Maybe they're trying to hold onto you for the fees, bankers are mainly licenced criminals !!

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:34 pm

Ha. Sabadell certainly is! (a licensed criminal!) Does anyone know though whether Spanish banks are actually obliged to hold onto a final statement?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:02 pm

We left Santander Spain after a disagreement and supposedly closed all our accounts and got final statements for each, showing 0.00 euros as the last amounts were transferred out to other accounts or into our hot little hands ... several years later when an investment account "reached" a final term that we knew nothing about, we started to receive email publicity as an account holder, and when we tried to deny them access to the email system, we had to produce copies of personal IDs etc etc, we finally went into the local Santander branch and asked what was going on. That was when we discovered the on-going closed account !!!

Anyway - the upshot of all this was that it was written in one of the letters from Santander that they have by spanish law to keep our personal details, even as previous, not current account, holders, for a considerable number of years, in case anything legal or fiscal turns up in future time so that they can reply to government authority as and when needed !! So I believe all spanish banks have to abide by this and although all your accounts may be closed, they keep you archived ... now that may just be your personal details, but I feel it must also be about your accounts or how could they justify anything to the government when requested - fraud, money laundering, debts paid, etc etc

We did, after much insisting see that the account ongoing was finally and terminally closed, and that we were off their marketing email list, but I believe they still have our information archived in case the government has to track us down in the future ... !

One way or another, they really should have presented you with a final statement as the account came to 0.00 euros, with the date of when the account was closed.
Another problem was, for us anyway, that having "closed" all our accounts years previously, we did not have access to on-line banking, bank books were finallised, etc etc, so it was impossible to check anything with them apart from sitting at the local manager's desk and demanding to know what was going on!! The manager had to communicate direct with Madrid to sort things out ...
Good luck!

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:07 pm

Wow! Thank you so much for the info Gasman.... I THOUGHT that was the case but of course as with all things Spanish, I didn't know if it was a legal requirement or not (although I thought it must be!) This is one thing that drove me potty when I lived over there (and which UK folk just don't usually 'get'!) ... the fact that Spanish institutions seem to be able to make the rules up as they go along .... and as for goalposts ...... they keep them on wheels for ease of movement!!!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi tjtops,
If you have a Facebook account post your problem on their FB site.............we had a problem on going for nine (9) months, posted on a Saturday and it was sorted the following Monday........................ :idea:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:26 pm

Mmmmmm ok thanks. I've tweeted about it (and a friend with 10kplus followers has RT) but they've just ignored it!!!!But yes I will certainly give FB a go!!! Cheers!