Communal satellite dish for UK TV

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Communal satellite dish for UK TV

Postby fyfin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:42 pm

I am president of a community here in Almeria and we have a communal 2.4mtr satellite dish which provides us with the usual BBC/ITV channels. We've just had a recent change of multi switch and lnb which is causing major problems and I've had advice from Satandpcguy who certainly knows his stuff (pity not in our area lol).
The reason for the post is not to ask for advice but to see if anyone here has a similar set up i.e. a communal dish serving a number of apartments, more than 16 if possible. There seems to be no problem with a standard 1.9mtr dish which we have at our house just up the road from the apartment block. We get all the UK channels with no pixeallation even on all the HD channels but the 2.4mtr serving about 24 apartments is a nightmare at the moment.
A lot of people use internet for the UK channels and maybe we're lucky here that we can get the UK channels with a dish that size but I think it's better to use satellite as you're not dependant on the internet here (unless you're on fibre optic of course).
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Communal satellite dish for UK TV

Postby markwilding » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:48 pm

You would have to say that you are lucky to be able to watch UKTV through a satellite system. It must definitely be the best way if you can access Freesat, which most people were using before the changes.

Having said that, even I if I had Freesat, I would still be using catchup on the internet players because my viewing habits have changed drastically as it has for those who live in the UK. It is extremely rare for me to watch live TV these days, even though through online Sky and my son’s PS4 i have access to everything in good HD quality.

fyfin
Resident

Re: Communal satellite dish for UK TV

Postby fyfin » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:41 pm

I agree completely, but we actually have residents who still pay for a Sky subscription even though they also have internet. I think the only downside for internet, especially streamed live TV is that the wimax type internet here is so unreliable. Maybe fibre optic next year so that will make a difference.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it